CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 11-13-2007, 01:39 AM   #1
Jake Winwood

Profile:
OHS and Psoas pain

After doing a multiple OHS during and after workout my Psoas (Both) have been killing me. still a week later they hurt to even lift my legs... I hadnt stop training after they hurt but now i'm forced to..

just curious to see if anyone else has had this problem from OHS and what could have caused it

cheers,

Jake
Old 11-13-2007, 11:52 AM   #2
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
Re: OHS and Psoas pain

Well if you are doing an OHS correctly you use your psoas to pull yourself down into the deep part of the squat, so that my be part of it. Depending on how long you have been doing them and how your form was you may have been stretching them at the top.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:23 PM   #3
Jeff Yan

Profile:

I don't know if this is the same as the "pain" you're describing, but I once had a tight psoas that persisted for like 2 weeks after trying a minute-long long L-sit for the first time. It would tighten up whenever I did squatting-type exercises or ice skated.

I recently enrolled in a sports-specific training program that includes some plyometric work. At the beginning of every session, we go through a series of warmups and agility ladder drills. I liked these drills enough that I started incorporating them into my warmup at my affiliate because I just didn't think the Samson stretches were doing enough for me. If you're interested, let me know and I'll see if I can describe some of the drills for you.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:35 PM   #4
Jake Winwood

Profile:

yeah mate I'm interested, what are the drills? I think its the same thing i only feel it when I do any sorta squat movement its been like this for a week or so..

did the exercises help?
Old 11-14-2007, 06:48 AM   #5
Shane Upchurch

Profile:

Something very similar to this happens to me as well. I do the samson stretch and other piriformis stretches but they still get pretty sore. Many times I'll get down into the squat position and just move around side to side, go in circles, etc. to try and loosen everything up but as I said they still get pretty sore. Jeff it would be nice to hear about those drills, maybe those would help.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:41 AM   #6
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Basically, this has been the bane of my existence for the 1.5 years. I finally got a prednisone shot in my hip socket back in July (miserable experience) and I feel pretty good since, but definitely not 100%. Sitting down for long periods, lunges, sit-ups, and squats tend to make it act up.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:05 PM   #7
Shane Upchurch

Profile:

Ive had a few post now about my back problems so I wont go into depth on those any further but the more I learn about the psoas Im beginning to think this could be one of my problems or maybe the cause all together. My back bothers me when sitting thats for sure but I think thats due to losing my lumbar curve from incorrect posture, which I am working on, but Ive also noticed that when sitting with knees bent at 90 degrees and feet on the floor if I move my right knee towards my left I feel discomfort in the crease where my leg meets my pelvis...the same feeling of discomfort I feel in a deep squat and like my back injury its only on the right side. Knowing now that the psoas is connected to the lower vertabrae of the spine Im wondering if these two things are connected and then if one is causing the other: is the psoas causing the pain in my lower back or is the pain in the lower back causing some kind of pain in the psoas. Any thoughts?
Old 11-14-2007, 06:09 PM   #8
Aileen Reid

Profile:

Read my post below yours!
Old 11-14-2007, 06:42 PM   #9
Shane Upchurch

Profile:

Thanks Aileen...again. I did the exercise in the chair you spoke of, didnt really feel anything funny there. I think the one on the floor really hits the area Im talking about, especially when i do the right leg and let my girlfriend press down on the inside of my knee and try to oppose it.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:00 PM   #10
Aileen Reid

Profile:

Reading his actual paper on the biomechanics of it all really helped me understand which exercises are important and when. But I need to read it again - its fairly heavy going.