CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-14-2010, 04:08 PM   #1
Casey Crooks

Profile:
My summer plan.

Over the summer I wont have access to an affiliate except for maybe once or twice a week, so I have to figure out something else. I want my core lifts to go up and frankly I miss lifting heavy so I am thinking about Texas Method with added metcons (maybe 3-4 a week depending on how i am recovering). I didnt really like CFSB, i would really like a more strength oriented program. Im not too worried about gaining metcon ability while following this program I just dont want to lose anything.
Heres my current numbers-
BW-205
BS-320x1
DL-410x1
Press- 175x1
BP-245x1

These arent great by any means, and I want to get them higher. Im pretty sure im past SS, but if yall think im not let me know. Ill have about 8 weeks over the summer to integrate this program.
Any help/advice?
Old 04-14-2010, 04:20 PM   #2
Brian Bedell

Profile:
Re: My summer plan.

I think you need to realize that you can't have everything. For example, i find it highly improbably that you will be able to increase those strength numbers while "maintaining" your current MC ability, unless it's minimal. Not sure why you did not like CFSB, the program contains about the minimum MC you can do while still increasing lifts linearly.

My suggestion, IFF your goal is to increase those numbers, is that there is only one way to know if you are done with SS...and that is to do SS until your novice gains stop pursuant to the book. Once again, your lift numbers do not dictate if you are a novice or not. I revert back to SS whenever I have a layoff for any reason, most recently due to appendix surgery. After a layoff of several weeks, we all become novices again. IMO.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:23 PM   #3
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Crooks View Post
Over the summer I wont have access to an affiliate except for maybe once or twice a week, so I have to figure out something else. I want my core lifts to go up and frankly I miss lifting heavy so I am thinking about Texas Method with added metcons (maybe 3-4 a week depending on how i am recovering). I didnt really like CFSB, i would really like a more strength oriented program. Im not too worried about gaining metcon ability while following this program I just dont want to lose anything.
Heres my current numbers-
BW-205
BS-320x1
DL-410x1
Press- 175x1
BP-245x1

These arent great by any means, and I want to get them higher. Im pretty sure im past SS, but if yall think im not let me know. Ill have about 8 weeks over the summer to integrate this program.
Any help/advice?
wendler's 5/3/1. add in a few heavy met cons
Old 04-14-2010, 04:25 PM   #4
Casey Crooks

Profile:

I may end up doing SS. I need to actually read the book... I just doubt I am a novice. And yes, I understand the definition of a novice. I lifted for 4 years in a football program that did not use linear progression. In any case, TM is basically a linear progression, just more advanced than SS. My metcon ability is not very good at all, but I can do most workouts as RXed it just takes awhile. My Grace is 4:30 and change and my Fran is 6 something (training book not handy) but anything longer kinda goes downhill. I really think by hitting some metcons several times a week I can keep from losing any metcon ability, but I could be wrong.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:17 PM   #5
Jay Adams

Profile:

I did Texas method last Summer and have reaped a TON of strength gains. At 185lbs my squat went from 340x3 to 365x5. I followed Texas and did some sprinting and very short met cons and had awesome results. I did Paleo+Milk and after 6 weeks I did CFFB wods and my fitness and strength stayed up nicely. I crush all previos PRs in CF wods and am going to start Texas again in July. I did SS laste year and it was great, but texas seemed a better fit. My roomate is doing Wendler 5/3/1 and you can't really go wrong. My vote would be Texas
Old 04-14-2010, 06:13 PM   #6
Casey Crooks

Profile:

Jay- any specific advice on metcons/conditioning?
Old 04-14-2010, 06:22 PM   #7
Andrew Breyer

Profile:

Quote:
Jay- any specific advice on metcons/conditioning?
Just mix it up.. there are so many crossfit affiliates with WOD blogs that you really can't go wrong. Try and choose those that work your weaknesses.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:44 PM   #8
Nic Kirkland

Profile:

I've just started doing CFFB with my buddies (You might remember Jordan and Matt...). I like them because they do the Strength/Metcon combo and keep a good rotation of lifts and sets and also come up with good complementary metcons that are generally short and/or heavy.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:37 PM   #9
adam adkins

Profile:

Programming is as much of an art as it is a science. I think it would be good to take a summer and do your own programming. Take detailed notes about how you react to certain situations and you will probably learn a ton about training. I spent my summer on the conjugated system, which made me very strong but taught me little about programming. I just showed up and did what our westside guru had programmed for us that day.

Now as to the original question about the texas method. As another poster said, it is hard to have it all. However, I don't think that it is impossible, as he indicated - particularly with someone with room to grow in both strength and metcon. You may try sticking to a modified texas method doing volume weeks (5*5), recovery weeks (3*3), and intensity weeks (max effort). I would do 1 strength lift a day and a short metcon followed by some skill work if you wanted.

The full week wouldn't have to be dedicated to volume or recovery or intensity but you could wave the lifts to meet your training need. i.e. volume deads on monday + metcon, recovery squats on tuesday + metcon, volume press +metcon on wednesday, active recovery/chipper on thursday, max effort power clean on friday + wod.

Just a thought. I am sure it would need tinkering but it is very similar to what I do now.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:06 PM   #10
Michael Henry

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
I revert back to SS whenever I have a layoff for any reason, most recently due to appendix surgery. After a layoff of several weeks, we all become novices again. IMO.
I do the same thing. Just had about a 2 month layoff with some tendinitis and going back to the CFWF workout, which I had some good success with. And I PR'd on a few benchmarks, perhaps because I was only doing 2 METCONs a week and recovered better. I liked this program way more than CFSB.

Quote:
I may end up doing SS. I need to actually read the book... I just doubt I am a novice.
Why do you doubt it? Have you stalled in linear progression? That's the only way to determine that you aren't.