CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-25-2005, 07:36 PM   #1
Troy Archie

Profile:
I'm having a major problem with my snatches where I go from having good form practicing with a broomstick to just plain old sucking when there's any amount of weight, even when just using the 45lbs bar.

With the broomstick I feel I have a pretty good form. I jump with good speed and height, can quickly get under the bar and I manage to keep my arms straight throughout. The second there's any weight though I just can't get that jump or speed and my arms turn into wet noodles.

Anyone got any ideas on how I can get around this problem? I've got an old crappy 1" bar that I'm thinking about throwing 25-25lbs on it and practicing with that instead of just an empty bar.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:47 PM   #2
Grady McDonald

Profile:
Snatch, watch videos of snatching, snatch, watch videos of snatching, snatch, watch videos of snatching.......
Jumping position, landing position, Break thru the floor, lock out the arms, full shrug, hook grip, drive with the heels. Oly Lifts are more difficult to learn than than a good golf swing. It going to take no bs time and effort.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:56 PM   #3
Gary John

Profile:

Dan teaches this method, where you grap the bar in an extreme RDL, chin jutted-out and pushing the butt way back. Then, shoot your chin to the ceiling and jump. We had people PRing in Vegas with a half-hour lesson. I ran in to the same problem with the OHS and the only thing I can tell you, patience. Right now I do set of 30 broomstick OHS', a couple of times daily. Usually, around number 15, my shoulders will start to get into a groove. Then, I keep cleaning up the rest of my form. I think we both are suffering an extra supply of common sense. When we are using the broomstick, our minds are relaxed. Throw on some weight and our brains are screaming "excuse me".
Old 04-25-2005, 09:34 PM   #4
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Guys you gotta train the mind as well as the body. If your brain is telling you nope you can't do this, you won't. My snatch WOD today is a prime example until I got my head in the game.

Main point to think about with the bar overhead is to "reach for the ceiling" Keep the arms not only straight but also locked out overhead. The shoulder girdle should also be tight and locked in the groove. Remember "head through the window" helps in getting the bar in the correct position overhead, behind the plane of the ears.

Troy, it might help to do some drop snatches.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:20 AM   #5
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
I dunno Grady, I learned to snatch pretty quickly but I never could stop my drive off the tee from slicing! My golf swing always had a hitch in it's get along.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:56 AM   #6
William Hunter

Profile:
I can hit a golf ball straight...but it took 25 years of playing to get it right. I sure hope my snatch progression is a little quicker.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:44 PM   #7
Kalen Meine

Profile:
Try getting into an OHS with a broomstick and somehow mark the height of the bar. Find a way to put something light, like a stick or a rope, at that height. Then just focus on whacking it. My snatches are pretty sorry too, but I watchedd someone really clean themselves up with this drill today, and want to follow suit.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:37 PM   #8
Brian Hand

Profile:

Troy, try doing some from a high hang first (above the knee) this will get the jump part down. The do some from a low hang (below the knee) so you scoop first, then jump. Then finally from the floor, so you pull, scoop, jump. It's a lot to deal with all at once, but inch by inch it's a cinch.