CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-02-2008, 10:31 AM   #1
Robyn Morrisette

Profile:
Wood to use for training plates?

I am wondering what kind of wood anyone is using (and where do you find) to build training plates? They are the same diameter as the bumper plates and are about 1" thick. Home Depot doesn't have anything.

Robyn
Old 12-02-2008, 11:21 AM   #2
Jesse Kodadek

Profile:
Re: Wood to use for training plates?

What do you mean by training plates? Are you trying to build 'weightless' plates to get an essentially empty bar to the same height it would be if it had bumpers?

If so, get a sheet of plywood and laminate a few layers together. Any solid wood would have to be 18" wide -- a tall order and it would probably be very weak.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:32 PM   #3
Tom Fetter

Profile:

2 thicknesses of 3/4" ply, glued and screwed together weighs approx. #5. You can tweak the weight exactly by adding extra screws or drilling holes as you need, if precision's your thing.

We've had "training plates" made this way in our home gym for almost 2 years now, rounding over the edges and stapling some Ensolite foam stapled to the circumference to eliminate splintering and add some padding for when my kid drops the bar. I glued these together with construction adhesive.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:59 PM   #4
Aaron C Bennett

Profile:

I used 3/4" plywood and Liquid Nailsed them together, and put a bunch of plates on top of them until they dried. I cut them into circles with a Sabre Saw after they dried and used a rasp to get the. more smoothly circular. I drilled the center hole with a 2" key-hole drill-bit and painted them with Rustoleum.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:17 PM   #5
Ryan Stitt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn Morrisette View Post
I am wondering what kind of wood anyone is using (and where do you find) to build training plates? They are the same diameter as the bumper plates and are about 1" thick. Home Depot doesn't have anything.

Robyn
Robyn,
I got a sheet of cabinet grade plywood for making the top sheet of my lifting platform from the Home Depot near park Meadows mall. I'm sure your Home Depot would have it as well, but if not, its shopping season, so may as well stop down to Park Meadows!

Anyway, these are 18mm thick (~3/4") and 11 layers of better quality wood. I'm not sure its as good as hardwood plywood, but it is half the price at 28.00/sheet.
As far as cutting it to be the right size, I would recommend building a jig for a router and doing it that way link is wfs(http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip102000sn.html). They will be nice and round.

I keep intending to build some, but I wouldn't really be using them, so no real hurray here, but if I can get more people interested in the lifts that really need them, then I will build some. As far as adding weight, I wonder if a person couldn't add lead to them. Basically make a hole in the top layer and router out an area for the molten lead to form a flange. It would take a little experimentation to determin how big to make them to add different amounts of weight (basically figure out weight lost from cut wood and weight gained from inserted lead)...sorry for the rambling thoughts there)
Old 12-02-2008, 03:55 PM   #6
Robyn Morrisette

Profile:

thanks so much for the info! I have alot of women who can't yet lift heavy weight but need the bar up to the height it would be with bumper plates.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:54 AM   #7
Rolando Santos

Profile:

If all you are looking for is to get the bar of the floor I would make some small 9" stands (half diameter of bumpers) with 2x4's. Less complicated and cheaper than making wood discs, sanding etc...

The wood discs on the other hand would add some weight to the lift, but you can do the same with small iron plates.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:03 AM   #8
Tony Stock

Profile:

I used plywood, the thickest one I could find. I dont drop them but they work good.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:36 PM   #9
Steve Ericson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron C Bennett View Post
I used 3/4" plywood and Liquid Nailsed them together, and put a bunch of plates on top of them until they dried. I cut them into circles with a Sabre Saw after they dried and used a rasp to get the. more smoothly circular. I drilled the center hole with a 2" key-hole drill-bit and painted them with Rustoleum.
I did this and added some screws for extra stability. I found that 3 layers of 3/4" birch was exactly 5 kilos. My 2.5 Kilos ones were a little more tricky but same concept.