CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-09-2008, 12:39 PM   #1
Ben Kimmerle

Profile:
Summer Program- Can I Get It All Done?

As a college rugby player I want to maximize my training time this summer. I will only be able to do limited met-cons for the first two weeks of August, and pre-season starts around the 25th of August. After reading through a lot of posts (esp. Gant Grimes' "Hybrid Programs" thread), considering the PM website (esp. the new Mass Gain program, though I'm not necessarily looking for mass gain), the fact that I will be working 40 hours/week on a farm, and my accessibility to resources/the current gas prices I've come up with this example of a schedule (lifts will change every 2 weeks, or whenever my body talks to me):

Monday- Squat (5x5), C&J or Snatch [alternating] (7x1 or working to a heavy single), Push Press (3x5)
Tuesday- Short Metcon & home (1/2 Cindy, Fran etc.) kept
at or under 10 minutes
Wednesday-Rest
Thursday- Deadlift (working up to 1x5), Press (3x5), C&J or Snatch work (light, whatever wasn't hit on Monday)
Friday- Sprint/Conditioning workout on a track/field
Saturday/Sunday- Rest or very light skill work/rugby skills

I will not be sticking to any diet strictly, but I consider Paleo/Zone when I eat, and eat clean. If we have hellish days on the farm (work-wise or heat-wise) I will definitely consider skipping workouts to stay in top form. Any thoughts/suggestions?

After a few weeks I will drop one of the lifting days and probably favor a heavy metcon or more specific speed work. I am trying to get my heavy lifting in earlier in the summer because come August I will have to switch to basically only metcons. I may be trying to pile too much on my plate at once, so any suggestions on how to proportion strength/speed/conditioning periods better would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:03 PM   #2
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Re: Summer Program- Can I Get It All Done?

I'd either drop or bump the Push Press on monday. You've got two C&J days, one heavy and one light from the looks of it. Not sure if maybe you'd want to find a way to sub in some power snatches or something along those lines.

Otherwise it looks alright. I hope you're going to be eating and sleeping a ton though.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:05 PM   #3
Donald Lee

Profile:

If squats 5x5 start getting too much for you, i'd say you drop down to 3x5. Especially on Monday, since you do squats first, like Derek said, the power versions are probably better.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:34 PM   #4
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

Yeah. Ditch the push press. Pullups might be good to work in there. Any chance your job will give you a chance to do a haybale toss or rail-splitting for time? That practical strongman stuff just screams "rugby training."
Old 06-09-2008, 04:19 PM   #5
Derek Weaver

Profile:

yeah, I'd like to add on to my post and point out that for athletes, power versions of the Oly lifts may be a bit better.

I am a former rugger and really feel like the only thing I was lacking was power cleans, and maybe some power snatches. You want the most bang for your buck that you can get... and IMO, the power versions allow high(er) rep lifting (+5 reps or so qualifies as high rep to me).
Old 06-09-2008, 06:14 PM   #6
Ben Kimmerle

Profile:

Thanks all for your comments.

-I will be doing either heavy C&J/light snatch or heavy snatch/light C&J each week (alternating) so I will be snatching and C&Jing each once a week.
-I did Monday's workout today, and found that 5x5 squat was a little much, so I kept it at 3x5 and I think I will stay with that.
-From what you guys have said it seems like maybe I should drop the Push Press and sub pullups or weighted pullups, or would this be too much with a heavy C&J on Monday?
-I don't really do full Oly lifts anyway because of technique, so power versions are pretty close to how I lift.

I don't know about hay-tossing for time, but we just got our first cutting and spend a lot of the summer tossing those heavy bales around!
Old 06-09-2008, 06:24 PM   #7
Donald Lee

Profile:

I think you should be able to do pullups at least twice a week. Maybe weighted pullups on Monday and unweighted pullups in metcons on Tues or on your light day.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:20 PM   #8
Ben Kimmerle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
I think you should be able to do pullups at least twice a week. Maybe weighted pullups on Monday and unweighted pullups in metcons on Tues or on your light day.
Yeah I was thinking that in the WOD I would probably get a healthy dose of pullups (or I would make sure that this would be the case) and maybe just do something non stressful on light days (like a pullup ladder or something) I'll try the weighted pullups and see how I feel. What would be a good rep scheme, 5x1?
Old 06-09-2008, 08:29 PM   #9
Nick Gagnon

Profile:

1. Eat a TON. Labor jobs incinerate calories.
2. Listen to your body. Don't be afraid to take a day off from training when you are run down.
3. Eat a TON.
4. Eat a TON.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:32 PM   #10
Derek Weaver

Profile:

I missed the presses on Thursday somehow. I'd drop those and really just focus on the C&J. I like heavy presses, but for an athlete with a fairly limited amount of time, and I would guess a solid strength base, I'd rather work on explosive movements.

Maybe sub in weighted pull ups for the presses if you wanted to go that way. Perhaps use an alternating rep scheme. One week at 3x3, another at 5x1 etc.