CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-13-2005, 07:14 PM   #1
Josh Brehm

Profile:
After seeing a few vids on here (such as the "urban gymnastic"/joe eigo vids) and reading a bunch and from experience I've decided I really want to make my "sport" body control, I've always loved watching olympic gymnastics and anything involving gymnastics type stuff and wishing I could do it. But, I'm 18, 5' 10", 160 pounds, and I'm not in very good shape at all. Am I too old and out of shape to begin to learn gymnastics(both regular and urban style)? I'm not looking for immediate skills, I'm looking to have a sport that I can participate in, truly enjoy, and continue learning how to perfect into my old age, while keeping myself in great shape, and gymnastics meets the bill long as I can do it.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:16 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Why would anyone be too old to do anything? o_O Maybe not professionally, when you're injured, or when you can't move but you can do practically anything anytime. Gymnastics/martial arts/parkour/tricking/whatever is a great way to get in a shape. Just make sure to do the necessary progressions so you don't injure yourself. Also, find others that enjoy your sport or hobby so that you can keep each other motivated.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:47 PM   #3
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Josh, I'd expect that statement from someone my age or older - not from an 18yr old! You may not go to the Olympics in gymnastics, but weirder things have happened! Like a 38yo Mom of 4, with no previous competitive wrestling background, going to the State Freestyle Wrestling Championships! Most important thing is that you find something you enjoy and DO IT!
Old 12-14-2005, 12:29 AM   #4
Beth Moscov

Profile:
absolutely not! Go for it. A lot of excellent male gymnasts start when they hit college - right about age 18!
Old 12-14-2005, 07:43 AM   #5
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
I did my first handstand and my first muscle-up at age 46, so I don't know what this talk about "too old" is all about.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:58 AM   #6
Gary John

Profile:

Josh,

Age sneaks up you. I don't blame you for questioning your ability to learn something new. I know, as the years pile on, the body doesn't always respond. Don't rush into this without getting a complete physical exam. I suggest you talk with your doctor first.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:06 AM   #7
Ryan Abbott

Profile:
Everyone here is right on. I am only 30 and wish that I had started this lifestyle even five years ago.

Remember too. Use the elite as the inspiration but it's the improvements you make in yourself that really count.

Go for it, good luck and be smart.

Here is a link to help you get started with your goals:

http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/229/
Old 12-14-2005, 09:47 AM   #8
Josh Brehm

Profile:
Thanks everyone, to respond to those asking why I think I'm too old, it's just that the majority of the people who become better than average in gymnastics are the people who begin before the age of ten. And if I had heard from you all that I wouldn't be able to become better than average with enough time and work due to how old I am compared to those who start at sub 10 yrs old, I would have decided I would just make gymnastics part of my training, and not my sport.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:48 AM   #9
Roger Harrell

Profile:
I've got a 52 yr old student who started at 47. Starting at 18 you've got a lot of time. You could obtain some significant gymnastics skills.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:05 AM   #10
Eric Cimrhanzel

Profile:
Josh,

I'm only 3 years your senior, but I look back now and wonder just what kind of fitness I would have now if I had been lucky enough to start CrossFit, or even the gymnastic skills I do now, at 18! And I'm one of the youngest guys on this board. The average age around here is 30+.

CrossFit does not discriminate based on age. It brings everyone to a place they didn't know they were weak at, and builds them up one Workout Of The Day at a time.

No matter how old, young, fast, slow, weak, strong, balanced, unbalanced, fit, or unfit you think you might be, NOW is the best time to start CrossFit. Period. That includes starting gymnastics or Parkour (urban gymnastic) style training. Just make sure you build up in a steady progression. Start slow. Stay safe. Then ramp up the intensity of your workouts.

Exercises like pistols, handstand pushups, muscle-ups, L-sits... the list goes on and on as to the gymnastic skills you can improve at your age. I gained so many skills so very quickly by just jumping into the WOD (slowly, of course. Consistency before intensity), I can't explain everything I've learned in just the past six months. The ability to manipulate weight, especially your own, and maneuver around obstacles is something you can easily pick up within a few months (if that) of training.

Think less. Do more. That's what CrossFit's all about.