CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-20-2008, 10:39 AM   #1
Erik Shauger

Profile:
How do you add crossfit?

I have worked out for about 20 years now. I have mostly done bodybuilding/powerlifting. I have gotten some good size and strength but through the years my body has started to ache and get injured more often. As a result I have lowered the weight and increase the reps. I've also switch up the routine often. I was told about crossfit a few months ago and have been substituting the workout of the day once or twice a week. I am just about to make the switch completely and just follow the work out of the day but wonder if it is enough. I train pretty hard and have nearly "killed" myself with some of the WOD's. It feels great. Coming from a heavy weight training background I just hope crossfit gives me enough stimulation. If I wanted to add to the crossfit workout, how would I do it? thanks.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:32 AM   #2
Tim Newsome

Profile:
Re: How do you add crossfit?

At the beginning, you should just have faith that CrossFit will give you enough stimulation. Once you've done it for a week or two and feel like you can do more, go ahead and experiment. Just be wary of overtraining/under-recovering.
Most people who want to do more do some kind of sport-specific training, especially skill work.

Tim
Old 03-20-2008, 01:28 PM   #3
Robin Owens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Shauger View Post
I have worked out for about 20 years now. I have mostly done bodybuilding/powerlifting. I have gotten some good size and strength but through the years my body has started to ache and get injured more often. As a result I have lowered the weight and increase the reps. I've also switch up the routine often. I was told about crossfit a few months ago and have been substituting the workout of the day once or twice a week. I am just about to make the switch completely and just follow the work out of the day but wonder if it is enough. I train pretty hard and have nearly "killed" myself with some of the WOD's. It feels great. Coming from a heavy weight training background I just hope crossfit gives me enough stimulation. If I wanted to add to the crossfit workout, how would I do it? thanks.

Erik - I have had some of the same concerns coming from a weightlifting standpoint. Next week I am starting with Coach Rut's ME Black Box. It is a combo of Max Effort rep lifting and WOD's Check out the Performance Menu site and purchase Issue #3. It is only about 5 bucks but the routine is in it. I have another Black Box in my arsenal as well but this is the one I am going with for now.
Also, Hop into the Fitness section and read through the Share Your Routine Thread. There are smoe good ideas in there as well.
Best of luck.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:18 PM   #4
Jason Bergmann

Profile:

Erik,
I'm pretty new to crossfit as well and I would say i have a similar background as you. I've been powerlifting and doing strongman for awhile. I plan on adding crossfit into my routine as cardiovascular conditioning because i hate treadmills and ellipticals. I also plan on adding in the olympic lifting to supplements my strongman training. I would assess your goals and then combine the crossfit and your regular training to meet those goals.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:59 PM   #5
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Try it for a month. Do the WOD as closely as you can. Eat paleo/zone/high-fat/IF. We can't explain away your doubts. You have to experience it for yourself. If after a month you like it, keep going - next month will be entirely different. You won't plateau in all metrics because the workouts are constantly varied. The WOD is "enough" if you go all-out and treat it as a competition. Post your times on the comments or do it at a CF gym or with friends. If you don't like it, chances are you're only interested in one aspect, like powerlifting. Good luck and have fun with it.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:30 PM   #6
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Like Nike says - just do it. Main page WODs for 6 weeks.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:16 AM   #7
Robin Owens

Profile:

If you still aren't sure...click the link in my sig.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:24 AM   #8
Erik Shauger

Profile:

Well I have been adding it slowly into my routine. I haven't done one of my "regular" weight training workouts for about a month now. I have done a few crossfit workouts exactly as prescribed and they have been pretty good. Most have completely smoked me but they are very short and intense. This is where my concern lays. I used to workout for at least and hour and a half. Now I am never going over an hour and that's if I add extra excercises or cardio. I appreciate all the comments and suggestion. I deffinately love crossfit. I do treat the wod's as a competition which really helps the motivation. Sometimes I can't wait to get to the gym. That hasn't happened in a long long time. I just wanted to hear how others have made the transition.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:37 AM   #9
Robin Owens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Shauger View Post
Well I have been adding it slowly into my routine. I haven't done one of my "regular" weight training workouts for about a month now. I have done a few crossfit workouts exactly as prescribed and they have been pretty good. Most have completely smoked me but they are very short and intense. This is where my concern lays. I used to workout for at least and hour and a half. Now I am never going over an hour and that's if I add extra excercises or cardio. I appreciate all the comments and suggestion. I deffinately love crossfit. I do treat the wod's as a competition which really helps the motivation. Sometimes I can't wait to get to the gym. That hasn't happened in a long long time. I just wanted to hear how others have made the transition.
Good Deal. If in the future oyu find a balance between traditional lifting and XFIT please share it. The routine I am starting is a bit of a mix and I want to keep the wieghtlifting portions.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:57 PM   #10
Steven Low

Profile:

Why would you want to workout for more than an hour??????????

A solid routine should not take you much over an hour anyway unless you're doing insane amount of strength work with like triples (well, it's mainly the rest that takes you over the hour). A solid full body routine like SS should take about 45 or so minutes.

ANYWAY, figure out some goals. If the coincide with CF the do CF. If they don't then don't. If you want some extra conditioning/fitness work then do CF. Otherwise, whatever. Shrug.

As for "is CF enough?" the answer is yes. If you're going all out on the workouts, you DO NOT need to do 'extra' cardio or other exercises (nor would you probably want to).