CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-27-2007, 11:10 AM   #1
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Full ROM Pull-ups

I was watching the Franlanta video and was thinking about our generally accepted standard of chin over bar for a full ROM pull-up. (This may just be a personal standard or challenge to myself) I was thinking maybe for Full ROM and to maximize power output, we should go chest to bar for a pull-up. I considered belly button to bar because you would have to generate more power initially, but I think the time piece of the equation would increase too much to make it worth while also you simply can't do as many with the amount of effort that takes. But in my mind a chest to bar pull-up could be done quickly enough with very little detriment to rep potential and therefore could be worthwhile.

I don't know...I can see the chin over bar being kosher as you tucker out towards the end or if you are a beginner (sort of like the immature squat), but I think the chest to bar pull-up should be the gold standard (kipping or strict).
Old 12-27-2007, 11:39 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Full ROM Pull-ups

Heck, for full ROM pullups why don't we just add a dip too and rename muscle ups to pullups?

Chin to the bar works what is commonly understand as your regular pullup... adding ROM above the chin starts to delve into what the muscle up does namely extension of the shoulder through use of the posterior delt, external rotators and scapular retraction. Simple fact of the matter is that these muscles are significantly weaker than your average biceps brachii, lats and chest which are the main pullups muscles so basically the first ROM you'll lose when you are doing chest to the bar are.. you guess it this 'transition' part of moving the bar from the chin to your chest (even with the momentum from kips). Therefore, if we were to count them like that it would actually reduce the number of pullups we could do significantly such there would be less power output from these as compared to the regular ones we do now (and yes, there would be a significant decrease in reps with that extra foot ROM because it's a lot harder). Although you'd probably get more of workout for the muscle up transition if you wanted that.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:09 PM   #3
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Go for it and let us know what you think after a couple of months.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:43 PM   #4
Jake Di Vita

Profile:

Whenever a workout calls for deadhang pull ups I do go all the way until the bar touches my chest. For kipping I just go until my chin is above the bar.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:08 PM   #5
Sean Dunston

Profile:

I tend to find that when I start doing a set of pullups, my first 5 or 10 have me going much higher and faster than I do them in later rounds.

I just figured the difference was fatigue -- and in later rounds, I am content to just get my chin over the bar anyway!
Old 12-27-2007, 01:29 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
I tend to find that when I start doing a set of pullups, my first 5 or 10 have me going much higher and faster than I do them in later rounds.

I just figured the difference was fatigue -- and in later rounds, I am content to just get my chin over the bar anyway!
Yep, it's fatigue although in the aforementioned scapular area as opposed to lats/biceps/chest.

Anyway, regardless of what I said earlier my position really is that if you want to do them go ahead.. but it's probably not going to make much of a difference unless you want to get better muscle ups or obtain a muscle up if you don't have one. As far as power output, I would tend to say that it would be slightly less than your regular kipping pullups though.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:58 PM   #7
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

LOL on Steven Low's first line 2 posts ago. Might as well be going for the MU. I'm doing that on my ring pull-ups for as many reps as I can for prep for the MU, and I need the scapula work for my shoulders. Enjoy 'em.

Last edited by Lynne Pitts; 12-27-2007 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: Poor Steve is going to get a complex..
Old 12-27-2007, 03:43 PM   #8
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

HA! I didn't think of chest to bar as MU work, mainly because I think the transition part is better developed by working larger ROM dips vice larger ROM pull-ups (when people fail, it's usually the dip that needs the most help that I've seen). Of course it is a "transition" so now that I think about it, that makes sense and I guess it could/should be worked from both sides. Also like Steven said going "too far" on the pull-ups simply kills your energy and time too much for power outage. I just thought the extra 8-10 inches was worth it.

Anyway, to come on out and say it, I actually have been doing it for a few months already and really haven't felt much of a difference in how fast I fatigue...actually it's hard for me to jump up in the heat of a WOD and perform pull-ups where I barely clear my chin anymore, it's really sort of engrained that I get at least to my clavicles. Of course when I DO fatigue hard during a WOD I am going to barely clear my chin over the bar, but it's typically for the last few reps. The WOD where it's hardest to keep 'em honest is G.I. Jane. But it's also hard for me to get the jump/kip rhythm going well in G.I. Jane.

I figured it was sort of a personal thing, and thanks Steven for the background on the difference in where the power is coming from, all that posterior delt, rotator scapular thingy stuff.

Now about those top of head to ABMAT HSPU's...

Last edited by Aushion Chatman; 12-27-2007 at 03:47 PM..
Old 12-27-2007, 04:16 PM   #9
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

Sorry I misspelled Low. Must be the altitude of the Pullups.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:18 PM   #10
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

I used to go chin to the bar, but now go a bit higher since learning the new kip.

Head to abmat on HSPU - if you're doing it kipping - there's really no big difference since it sqwushes (however that's spelled), strict - and that's quite a bit of ROM shortening.