CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-31-2006, 10:42 AM   #1
Elliot Royce

Profile:
there is a huge article today in the NY Times on the correlation between genes and longevity. Since a long and healthy life is one of the ultimate CF goals (I assume), it's worth reading it in detail. What is striking is how little genes matter in predicting longevity. Identical twins have almost no correlation in length of life.

The article theorizes that gene expression may have something to do with the difference, as well as the randomness of life (death).

I was originally sceptical on the gene expression thing but the study seems to make clear that what you do in life can take the identical set of twin genes and fundamentally change how they express themselves.

On a more philosophical note, it's interesting just how random death may be. We spend all this time and money trying to fend it off, when it can strike us and not our twin for no apparent reason. Either makes you want to be a couch potato or exercise more to forget about it.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:34 PM   #2
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Funny you mention this as I just read "Why Fitness" last night. If exercise had no benefits to longevity I would still workout. There probably is a thing as too much exercise but I doubt many people even approach a situation like that.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:57 PM   #3
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Injuries/Medical.