CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-28-2006, 03:55 PM   #1
Josh Brehm

Profile:
My brothers doctor has said my younger brother has Osgood Schlautter disease. My brother has never been active and runs maybe once during a year if he absolutely has to. He says he got the disease from a fall on his knee on the corner of a stage. I highly doubt he has this disease, but even if he does, he's getting fatter because he refuses to workout with pain in his knee. Is it actually detrimental to his knee to workout on it or what? I would think that by doing squats and sprints and other compound movements involving his knee would get him better.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:29 PM   #2
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
See this clip from an article:

"Osgood-Schlatter disease is probably the most frequent cause of knee pain in children. The condition occurs most commonly in children between the ages of 10 and 15 years but it can occur in younger children. Both boys and girls are equally vulnerable to its debilitating effects. Osgood-Schlatter disease is always characterized by activity-related pain that occurs a few inches below the knee-cap, or patella, on the front of the knee. The child will have swelling in the area, and tenderness to touch. Sports requiring lots of running, jumping, kneeling, and squatting are particularly associated. Many children first signal the start of the problem by rubbing the top of their "shinbones" with their hands, or even ice cubes, at practice sessions. The three main factors that contribute to Osgood-Schlatter are:

1. Between 10 and 15 years old.
2. Involved in youth sports.
3. In a "growth spurt"."

If he is innactive I doubt he has this problem...
Old 08-28-2006, 07:30 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:
I have it in both knees.

Honestly, it isn't really a disease per se as the tendon pulls away from the bone, and the area gets inflamed from hard exercise. Any heavy exercise to the knees will make it hurt a lot, and will not help it get better. The best thing to do is treat it like any other injury -- ice and rest. Although that DOESN'T mean he shouldn't do anything; at least get him on an upper body workout.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:43 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:
Oh yeah, I also want to add that it doesn't matter if you don't do a lot of exercise. In fact, I think it occurs more in kids that aren't conditioned to exercise and then go hard all at once. After I quit gymnastics in 6thish grade, I didn't do any outdoor activities until track in the last half of my 8th grade year which is when I developed Osgood Schlatter's disease. I think the fact that I was going all out, and my knees weren't conditioned to the beating since it had been a while since I was training had a huge negative impact on my body and caused that along with just regular growing in puberty.

If he ran hard that once a year, and he's growing and his connective tissue is not conditioned to exercise, that could be why he developed it. Remember, muscle adapt relatively fast, but connective tissue is slower in adapting which puts more strain on it than muscles.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:53 AM   #5
William Hunter

Profile:
Also re the growth spurt, if the long bones of the leg are growing, the muscles and tendons are, for a while until adaptation occurs, under increased stress. I've heard OS described as a mini avulsion fracture, as Steven described. The tendon actually pulls a little bit of bone off the tibial tuberosity, just below the patella.

I've also heard of some taping jobs that may allow more pain free activity while the area heals.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:45 AM   #6
Roger Harrell

Profile:
An in depth look at the pathology of OS
http://www.drillsandskills.com/article/12

Very common thing in young gymnasts.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:50 PM   #7
Allison Barns

Profile:
Josh,
I was diagnosed with OS in both knees when I was 12 (many, many moons ago!). It was due soley to growth (in all directions :sad: - I was very tall and very, very heavy) and not to exercise (a foreign concept at the time!). I had to wear a leg brace that kept my knee straight for 6 months. Because I had it in both knees, I had to switch which leg got the brace for the day. So, at age 12, I had the joy of adding walking funny and 'not even knowing which leg hurt' to the 'tall fat geek' complex. Good times!! The only exercise allowed was swimming. I hope for your brother's sake that the medical treatments for this have improved!!
Old 08-29-2006, 10:23 PM   #8
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
While at Regional Congress last weekend there was one men's gymnastic coach that has been coaching since the 70's that stated he basically took whatever gymnasts he had with OSD off of hard impacts for a year and roughed it. By doing so, he believed they were able to get through it bit by bit. Taking them off of floor and vault and limiting too the soft surfaces.
Jeff Robinson was his name.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:28 AM   #9
Yael Grauer

Profile:
Glucosamine sulphate, vitamins E and D, a multivitamin and mineral if possible (I like ConcenTrace trace mineral drops), good diet of course, and anything with bioflavonoids.

A good multi (such as Oregon Health Multi-GuarD with CoQ10) has some E and D...not enough for this, in my opinion, but it's something and most normal people don't want to be popping five different types of pills a day.

Walking a lot until the pain goes away can only be a good thing.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:15 AM   #10
Adam Rottman-Hipps

Profile:
I was diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatter disease in both knees. Is it detrimental to workout? I wasnt physically active and I did nothing for about 5 years because the pain was very uncomfortable. I now do postural exercises from Pete Egoscue's Pain Free book and have found that to help. I had pretty bad internal rotation on my knees and poor strength/mobility in my ankles and feet. If youd like, check to see how your brother's legs look when he stands still - are his feet straight ahead or turned out? are his knees in the middle or turned in or out? If they are out of alignment, it might be worth checking out the book I mentioned. Hope this helps.