CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-04-2006, 01:14 AM   #1
Tom Shultz

Profile:  
Hello,
I've been following and doing the WOD's for about 3 weeks now ( I love it). Instead of asking a bunch of "Newbie" questions that have been asked before, I poured through this message board and answered many questions for myself.

However, Rhabdo this can kill you or put you in a hospital and you can get in by pushing yourself to the limit in a high intensity routine. Isn't the idea of Crossfit to push yourself as hard as you can go ? How can I push myself to get as good a time as I can ( doing one of the Girls for example) when I have Rhabdo hanging over my head ?

I know body-building is Bull-s##t, this program makes so much sense, but I don't want to wind up in a hospital or worse just to get in great shape.

Old 01-04-2006, 01:50 AM   #2
Dan Freda

Profile:
Check these links:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/3499/10661.html

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/23/8906.html

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/3499/8833.html
Old 01-04-2006, 07:58 AM   #3
Neal Winkler

Profile:
Just ease into the program. You've got the rest of your life to get the best times on the workouts, and push yourself as hard as you can. But for now, I would say do not push yourself to that max pukie limit if you are really worried about rhabdo. Just allow your body time to get acclimated to the intensity.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:45 AM   #4
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Tom,
Neals advice is correct. Ease yourself into the program and you will be fine. I believe every case (and I think there have only been 5 or 6) has been a beginner who has gone too hard, too fast. Easing yourself into the program seems to innoculate one against Rhabdo. Continuing Crossfit seems to inoculate a person against a host of other health problems as well.
If you are having trouble scaling the workouts let us know. We would be happy to help you.
Jeff

(Message edited by jeff_m on January 04, 2006)
Old 01-04-2006, 10:52 AM   #5
Tom Shultz

Profile:  
Fair enough, I will ease myself into the program ( Finishing the WOD's but not striving for the best record breaking times, yet).

I just read a thread on rest weeks on this board :http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21/17331.html I know many here suggest a rest week (at half intensity) every 4th week and an entire week of every 12th. Would that half week or rest week decondition you to Crossfit's intensity ( espically if your starting out, i.e. : your first rest week on your first month of Crossfit)? In other words how long on the program including rest weeks and such, before one can start to push for maximum exertion , without tempting rhabdo ?
Old 01-04-2006, 11:41 AM   #6
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Tom - We are told that the air inside our homes is more hazardous to our health than the air pollution outside, that your cell phone will give you cancer and that bird flu is going to wipe out the planet. According to the NY Times article it would seem that death lingers near wherever CrossFit is practiced...and we of the CF community gave the writer info contrary to what she wrote. A positive outlook is apparently not very newsworthy.

Life, without exception, inevitably leads to decay and death. We are stuck with that little byproduct of our mortality but rather than wallow in in our future demise, we should instead celebrate our current vigor. You are wise to consider the danger of Rhabdo as you spin up your CrossFit intensity meter, but don't let it cast such a shadow over your training that you start putting up Richard Simmons posters. So long as you do as others have already suggested and ease your way into your workouts, you won't have any problems. When Brian Anderson got his Rhabdo visit it was as a result of high rep swings. Eccentric contractions - the loading of a muscle as it elongates - seems to be fertile ground for Rhabdo as are heat and dehydration.

I like Jeff's innoculation comment. Brian has come back after Rhabdo stronger than he has ever been and no matter how hard he hammers all he ever does is fall on the ground and make sweat angels, nothing worse than that. Moderate for a couple months getting in scaled versions of the WOD all the while monitoring how you feel after you train. Ramp it up a bit at a time and by late February - if you keep up your hard training - you should be able to pull out the stops and chase the Greg Amundson.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:47 AM   #7
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Tom,
I can't see how taking a week off would decondition you in any way. I've watched for it, never seen it.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:36 PM   #8
Kalen Meine

Profile:
I think that rhabdo as a topic of fear and discussion has been blown massively out of proportion, simply because most of us found it amusing that we were working hard enough to slay the uninitiated. But let's keep some perspective (and I do this in the pursuit of reason, not to discredit the suckfest Brian and the Rhabdo Quartet must have experienced.) There've been 6 cases of CF-induced rhabdo in a million page hits, 50 affiliates, and many years. The average marathon generates a decent fraction of that many cases with far fewer participants. Eat well, get sleep, and understand that mysterious "I should maybe rest today" feeling and you'll be fine. I'd devote your concern to more mundane things, like not jerking the bar into your chin (hobby of mine), getting sand in your eyes from the homemade med ball that froze, broke, and is empyting itself on your back, and keeping from woofing cookies all over your workout partner.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:19 PM   #9
Douglas Chapman

Profile:
There is a simple rule to live by: Don't be stupid.

If you try and compete with the records for anything here in your first few months, you stand a good chance of hurting yourself.

Scale the loads and reps as needed. Error on the side of caution. Make sure your form is perfect before you add loads.

You will live.

But it won't keep you from being hit by a bus!
Old 01-07-2006, 08:11 PM   #10
Mike Yukish

Profile:
I gathered from the rhabdo discussions that folks who got it had the capacity for a full-on crossfit workout but not the tolerance. So they were very fit by their previous standards. If you fall in that category where you think you can hit some decent times out of the box...still take it slow in getting up to speed. If you don't fall into that fitness level, I doubt can you touch the rhabdo regime.

You will of course still touch the DOMS regime, which is plenty reason to ramp up anyway.