CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-11-2008, 09:55 AM   #1
John Crocker

Profile:
The Zone and Marathon Training

Hi guys, this is my first post. I found out about Crossfit about a month ago and I've been trying to incorporate as much of Crossfit as I can into my workouts at the gym. I'm also considering starting on the Zone Diet but right now I am training to run a marathon. I am convinced that the Zone Diet is the way to go for all things Crossfit, but will I have enough energy for a marathon seeing as how I can't eat carbs on the Zone?
Old 03-11-2008, 10:01 AM   #2
Jonathan Slater

Profile:
Re: The Zone and Marathon Training

You can eat plenty of carbs on the Zone, they just have to be the right kinds. You can eat more vegetables than you thought was physically possible.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:44 PM   #3
Moran Bentzur

Profile:

40% of your caloric intake should come from carbs on the zone (at least until you start multiplying your fat intake). Like Jonathan said, if you totaly avoid dense carbs (grains) it will probably be difficult to consume that much.
On the day of the marathon you might want to carb up. But it is not like you are doing a marathon a day as training, right?
Old 03-11-2008, 01:06 PM   #4
John Crocker

Profile:

Thanks for the info. I haven't completely read up on the Zone but I thought it was saying to get all your carbs from fruits and vegetables and little to no grains. So, I guess another question would be, could I have enough energy to run a marathon on the carbs I get from vegggies?

I'm not running a marathon a day right now, i'm currently running about 8 or 9 miles a couple times a week. I'm also doing a Crossfit type workout 3 days a week.

Today I bought "Mastering the Zone" so hopefully i'll figure it all out from reading the book.

Thanks for your help so far. Any other info would be appreciated.

Last edited by John Crocker : 03-11-2008 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:18 PM   #5
Matt Unthank

Profile:

I ran my fastest marathon in December using the zone and thought it went great. I calculated my blocks using 1 gram pro per pound of body weight, and used 2x fat. The week before the race I did carbo load with some extra carb blocks in the form of fruit and whole grains added at my meals. On my long runs, I used GU and typically enjoyed a cheat meal afterwards, so the whole process wasn't completely zone friendly. Give me a shout if you have any questions.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:37 PM   #6
Matt Unthank

Profile:

Also, in regards to your training, I would back off the 8-9 mile runs. It really isn't building your aerobic capacity any greater and is a good way to get into overuse injuries. I suggest...

1) Keep doing Crossfit like you are (I avoid the heavy days during marathon training)
2) Learn POSE running (I typically do a 1-2 mile warm up before the WOD to work on this)
3) Add track and hill workouts (using intervals) in place of the 8-9 mile runs.
4) Progressivly build your 1 time a week long run to a 20 mile.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:43 PM   #7
Chris Dunbar

Profile:

John
I personally haven't found the zone beneficial for endurance type athletes. I adventure race aswell as run, and compete in triathlons. I just found myself weak and tired when it came to any training beyond an hour or so. I even increased fat intake to about 4x the prescribed amount. My thoughts.

Cheers
Chris
Old 03-11-2008, 10:48 PM   #8
John Crocker

Profile:

Thanks for all the great tips guys. It seems like i'll have to do the Zone but with a little modification to keep the carbs higher. I also like your idea about the workout schedule. It seems like doing a long run once a week, along with Crossfit the rest of the week is a good idea. I'll try it out.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:50 PM   #9
John Crocker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Unthank View Post
On my long runs, I used GU and typically enjoyed a cheat meal afterwards, so the whole process wasn't completely zone friendly. Give me a shout if you have any questions.
What's GU?
Old 03-12-2008, 09:09 AM   #10
Matt Unthank

Profile:

GU, also known as energy gel, is essentially sugar gel in a squeeze tube. Its small and portable and packed with quick calories. On long runs, your blood sugar may drop to the point you just can't continue, known as "Hitting the Wall". You can keep a pack of GU on you for these little moments.