CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-24-2011, 04:39 AM   #1
Whitney Boyd

Profile:
Double Under's.....HELP!

So, I am not THAT new to CrossFit....I'm 7+ months in. However, I am having THE HARDEST TIME getting my double under's. I have long leg's, and I'm clumsy as heck; it's taken me almost 6 months to get my 20in box jumps for the same reason. I can throw weight around like crazy, but these little movements that require skill, got me all frustrated.

Also, sometimes I can get one or two in a row....but then I don't know how to keep 'em going, after I get that one or two.

Any tip's, PLEASE??
Old 09-24-2011, 05:13 AM   #2
Adam Carlson

Profile:
Re: Double Under's.....HELP!

1) Practice, practice, practice.
2) Try holding the jump rope with both handles in one hand and practicing double unders with just one side going. You'll learn the timing eventually, but you won't need to deal with having to stop because the rope gets caught on your feet. You just need to learn the difference between knowing the right timing and the bad timing
3) Go from single to double to single to double, learning how to be consistent in the rhythm over time
4) When I was in Japanese elementary school, jump rope was part of the curriculum. When we learned how to do double unders in first grade, we were taught to do 3 singles to get ready, and then start busting them out. I still do that to this day, and I prefer doing that to trying to start out doing double unders from the get go. I can do them without the start up jumps, but it's just easier, I feel.
5) Make sure that your wrist is the thing that is moving the rope, not your whole arms/shoulders.
6) The order of things that get sore for me after doing tons of double unders are: calves, abs, arms (minor stuff). Make sure that you are using your abs to tighten up in the air and pull your body in
7) speaking of pulling your body in, DO NOT tuck your legs under you. The easiest way to do double unders is to jump only a little bit off the ground, tighten your abs, and do a very slight pike (legs fairly straight, toes and feet moving forward OR doing a VERY slight knee bend). Something that looks like a '<', just not as exaggerated. When you tuck your legs under, you're adding an extra step to things, plus throwing off your rhythm. As you get used to it, you can learn how much to bend your knees if you prefer to tuck (you just don't need to do a massive jump), or how much to even leave the ground. I only jump an inch or two off the ground when I do it, and it's easy to bust out 50, 60, 70, 80 reps by doing it with moving as little as possible.

But again, practice, practice, practice. This second grader has very good from to learn from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irbhzegNEQc (WFS)
Old 09-24-2011, 05:18 AM   #3
Adam Carlson

Profile:

You only need to tuck really hard if you are trying to do a Sextuple Under (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK7ARpILS64 WFS)
Old 09-24-2011, 06:46 AM   #4
Justin Karls

Profile:

The other key is having a rope that is the correct length. Too short and it'll catch your feet and too long it will drag too much on the ground. Once I had a rope the right length I was able to really improve my DU's. Measure from you nipple around your foot to your nipple and that will get you in the ballpark.

And most of all practice! I do double unders in all my warmups to keep up with the skill. I also do high rep singles and I found that helps.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:19 AM   #5
Patrick Midgley

Profile:

There's no magic to it, just keep plugging away.

For about 5-6 weeks, I did this before every WOD to practice:

50 Singles
25 One-Legged Singles, R
25 One-Legged Singles, L
30 DU attempts

On the DU attempts, even if you trip up, count it. You'll get into a rhythm when it's in your muscle memory. Keep your core tight! Watch the Journal Video on "The Position."

Once you can knock out that warm-up, you can start switching to 50 DUs in your warm-up. Incorporating DUs in your metcons helps, too, as the pressure can sometimes help you get over a mental block on them.

Good luck!
Old 09-24-2011, 06:46 PM   #6
Greg Keeter

Profile:

All good tips here.

Check out the advice we give our athletes at http://www.cftally.com/cf-tally-faq/...-learn-it.html

wfs

The reason we find it's so hard to learn doubleunders is the frustration level is so high no one will practice long enough to make progress. If you spend 30 minutes on it you will get better, but unless it's the wod most people will quit long before the time is up.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:38 AM   #7
Whitney Boyd

Profile:

Thank you, EVERYONE for all the fantastic tip's! I also watched some video's on youtube and againfaster.com.....and as a result... I GOT THEM TODAY =)

Thank you so much, again, for all the help!!!!
Old 09-28-2011, 03:14 PM   #8
Adam Carlson

Profile:

Great! That's so cool!

Now put them in your warm up, and you'll be doing them most every day. You'll improve even more in no time.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:28 AM   #9
Whitney Boyd

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Carlson View Post
Great! That's so cool!

Now put them in your warm up, and you'll be doing them most every day. You'll improve even more in no time.

That's correct, Adam!!! That is the plan =) I may have left the gym, yesterday, soaked in more sweat, and twice as out of breath as everyone else...but I FLIPPIN' GOT THEM!!

Looking forward to improving my technique and increasing my speed
Old 09-30-2011, 05:53 AM   #10
Helen M Brennan

Profile:

got em at long last today... woohoo

H