CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-24-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
Rob Brown

Profile:
Like to thank my coach! -My first post

I owe the utmost thanks to my coach at TCF (Meshelle).

For the first time in my life (43, #258) I see clearly how to live a fit lifestyle. ..I'm a mere 10 weeks in, and have gone from an utter flabby sedentary life style, thinking light beer, and whole wheat bread will make me thin - to paleo, wods and being able to do more push ups than I ever have in my life.

I'm by no means fit, but I am working on my way there. I do however enjoy many benefits, from being on the road to fit.. More testosterone, less snoring, better looking skin, more energy, being able to tie my shoes without having to blow out, to name just a few...

She and the CF program has really been an inspiration. When I hit a plateau, she was there to go over my whole program to get me on track. When I am trying to push with my toes, she is there to make sure I drive with my heels.

I can't thank her enough.. when I hit 40 I felt like I was doomed to watch my health and body decay. She and CF has showed me that I can be stronger and healthier than I have ever been in my life, even at 40. ..just be sure to stretch...

All the best,
R
Old 08-25-2011, 07:43 AM   #2
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:
Re: Like to thank my coach! -My first post

good for you for making a decision to be healthy and fit. glad you have a good coach to show you the way. stick with it and have fun
Old 08-25-2011, 09:59 AM   #3
Milton Brisson

Profile:

Congrats man! It can make all the difference when you have a coach who will work direcctly with you to make sure that YOUR goals are being met! Sounds like you are the right track!
Old 08-29-2011, 03:26 PM   #4
Rob Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Brisson View Post
Congrats man! It can make all the difference when you have a coach who will work direcctly with you to make sure that YOUR goals are being met! Sounds like you are the right track!
Yeah, she has my back. We have met every goal, and if I feel like I am slumping, she is there to help me track where I need to tweak my program.

I can really feel I am a different person, and I look forward to being a REALLY different person in the future.

One thing I noticed, maybe other new people can identify.

..Once, I really started digging in to the program, and getting results, some of the people around me, mainly my party/drinking/eating friends and family are starting to get sad that I don't just slob myself away. They now start saying 'your gonna drink right?' or 'your not just going to sit and hang out right?' ..as if eating and drinking is the only reason to have a friday and saturday night, haha.. and thursday... and sometimes sunday...
Old 08-30-2011, 01:06 PM   #5
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Brown View Post
Once, I really started digging in to the program, and getting results, some of the people around me, mainly my party/drinking/eating friends and family are starting to get sad that I don't just slob myself away. They now start saying 'your gonna drink right?' or 'your not just going to sit and hang out right?' ..as if eating and drinking is the only reason to have a friday and saturday night, haha.. and thursday... and sometimes sunday...
Some people, subconsciously, cannot tolerate others' success. I don't know if it makes them more aware of their shortcomings or what, but they will try everything in their power to hold you back. I've had to remove people from my life for this reason.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:16 PM   #6
Milton Brisson

Profile:

I definitely agree with what Jason said - people can be pretty bitter, which is their way of being mad at themselves for not having the will to fix their own problems! This is most of my family to a tee, so I dont spend as much time around them any more.

Having said that, I still like a beer (or 8) here and there...... - not only does it make me feel better, it makes me LOOK better, too!
Old 08-31-2011, 02:28 AM   #7
Renata Speranza

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Wallis View Post
Some people, subconsciously, cannot tolerate others' success. I don't know if it makes them more aware of their shortcomings or what, but they will try everything in their power to hold you back. I've had to remove people from my life for this reason.
Once, someone said to me, that one has to "earn" the envy of others... That means, that you've achieved something, that the others might want to achieve as well but for some reason they can't or they don't want it as much as you did... So this is quite a compliment you can be proud of!
Old 08-31-2011, 11:57 AM   #8
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Brisson View Post
Having said that, I still like a beer (or 8) here and there...... - not only does it make me feel better, it makes me LOOK better, too!
I like a beer or 8 myself occasionally, and chinese buffet, and ice cream, and cheeseburgers, and deep fried fish, and lots of other things I shouldn't have. I just choose to have those things and don't make excuses why I don't have 8 pack abs... I know why I don't .
Old 09-06-2011, 09:47 AM   #9
Rob Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Wallis View Post
Ahh, I never thought about bringing awareness to them. Thanks for the insight. I guess it is quite a reminder that you can have control if you want to.

On a side note, I've also noticed that my CF progress is getting a few others to lift kettle bells now and then. I spose' if I keep at it I might even get some of the reluctant party people to contemplate a more fit lifestyle.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:27 PM   #10
Dustin Standel

Profile:

Quote:
Milt, Rose Colored Goggles are what your date is supposed to have not you when you look at the mirror in the Men's lavatory.

Seriously, do CF because it enables you to enjoy life more and better. Its okay to treat yourself to food and drink occasionally (some people even recommend a cheat meal as often as weekly). If you don't enjoy your new lease on life, your new strengths and fitness or don't go out and blow off steam with your mates every now and again, you will start to dislike this and return to your old lifestyle.
My Workout Log Box Jump-36"; Deadlift-335; Clean and Jerk-150; Split Jerk-155; Weighted Pullup-20; Squat-245; Press-140; Bench-210; 3RM Thruster-145; DT 22:43 (105#)