CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-12-2009, 01:07 PM   #1
Ginny Schmidt

Profile:
A newbie saying hello :)

Hi all -
I just joined this forum last night and wanted to introduce myself before I start posting in threads and asking questions. Hopefully I'm doing this in the right place!

I live north of Dallas, TX and was recently introduced to CrossFit routines by my trainer at the gym. I have a long history of working out and lifting weights . . . I was a competitive bodybuilder about 10 years ago . . . and had recently started to gain weight and fall out of shape which led to a complete lack of motivation and the start of low self esteem. NOT the downward spiral I wanted to be in! I needed someone to light a fire under my so I decided to hire a trainer for a few months to get me back to where I needed to be. These routines are exactly what I needed, I LOVE my workouts (well, I love them when they're over) and after 5 weeks I'm starting to see the old me again which makes me so happy. I can't believe I've never heard of CrossFit before! Better late than never, huh?

I see there is a new CF affiliate in Addison, TX . . . does anyone belong there??

Thanks for reading, and if you see me post or ask questions, you'll at least know a little bit about me
Old 03-12-2009, 01:09 PM   #2
Amber Mathwig

Profile:
Re: A newbie saying hello :)

Ginny!
Old 03-12-2009, 01:48 PM   #3
Vanessa Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny Schmidt View Post
I can't believe I've never heard of CrossFit before! Better late than never, huh?
Exactly! Better late than never! And the having never heard of CF seems to still be very common

Old 03-12-2009, 03:33 PM   #4
Rob Magill

Profile:

Ginny!!! CrossFit and this website are awesome. Lots of great info and wonderful people willing to share their knowledge. Enjoy the pain, lol.

Rob
Old 03-12-2009, 04:06 PM   #5
Ginny Schmidt

Profile:

Thanks Amber, Vanessa and Rob
Old 03-12-2009, 05:35 PM   #6
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Ginny;

Spend as much time as you can reviewing past threads, start doing the WOD or a scaled version of it, and most definitly, hang out at your local affiliates. Though you have one close, also consider heading to visit others. CF trainers really know their stuff and definitly drink the Kool Aid.
Also drop into some the girl threads, there are some very very strong women on these boards and all are very supportive, well, as long as you do what they say.

Chow On and just get use to hearing, Do More Squats, More Deads, and there is this think about Milk.....................................and do not go to the Ice Cream thread just yet, you're not ready, trust me.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:50 AM   #7
Ginny Schmidt

Profile:

Thank you Jay, for your wisdom

I've been doing the WOD's for about 5 weeks (maybe not THE exact prescribed one for that day since I have a different schedule) and can most of the time get through a "pack" workout . . . . although I'm a puppy when it comes to unassisted pullups. But I'm getting there!!!
Trust me, I'm delighted to see the women on the board, I look forward to receiving help and support from like-minded girls. Maybe some day I can return the favor and offer some help too.

I haven't seen the ice cream thread (but now I'm racing off to find it), but I've enjoyed the "jeans" thread and the doggie thread. We have a Great Dane, so it's nice to know I'm also in good company that loves dogs.

I'm off to Austin this weekend to work at a show . . . . I make glass beads and jewelry for a living. I'll need to figure out some good hotel room exercises.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:14 AM   #8
Laura Kurth

Profile:

Hey Ginny, welcome!

always good to see another woman on the board!
Old 03-13-2009, 08:45 AM   #9
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:

I'm off to Austin this weekend to work at a show . . . . I make glass beads and jewelry for a living. I'll need to figure out some good hotel room exercises.
Enjoy the trip, if schedule permits, try to drop int a CF affiliate, as I'm sure, some one is running an early AM class.

Great Danes are truly great, as I grew up with them, unfortunately, they don't live long Now have two Border Collies that keep me on my toes.

Have a close friend that is into beading as a hobby, but very serious about it. Do you have a website, if so, please PM me.

Good job on doing the WODS, just keep at it, one day at a time.

Chow On.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:06 AM   #10
Helen Lawson

Profile:

Quote:
Thank you Jay, for your wisdom

I've been doing the WOD's for about 5 weeks (maybe not THE exact prescribed one for that day since I have a different schedule) and can most of the time get through a "pack" workout . . . . although I'm a puppy when it comes to unassisted pullups. But I'm getting there!!!

Hi Ginny.
You should look for the Dead-hang pull-up society thread. It is for people who are working on getting thier first unassisted pull-ups.

And, good hotel room exercises: Squats, Push-ups, Pull-ups (most shower rods in hotels are pretty sturdy), Double Unders (jump-ropes are easy to pack), walking lunges, handstands & Handstand push-ups, etc... There is also a thread someplace that has a complete list of body weight only exercises.