CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
Brandon Eagleberger
Member Brandon Eagleberger is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Checotah  OK
Posts: 32
Lucy

6 ft 240 lbs . Last week I did Lucy in 23:15.
This week 22:20

Just wondering , if thats horrible or average. My buddy who works out with me is a p90 x beast and a great runner so he's getting done in under 13 min.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #2
Brandon Eagleberger
Member Brandon Eagleberger is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Checotah  OK
Posts: 32
Re: Lucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Eagleberger View Post
6 ft 240 lbs . Last week I did Lucy in 23:15.
This week 22:20

Just wondering , if thats horrible or average. My buddy who works out with me is a p90 x beast and a great runner so he's getting done in under 13 min.
Also he's a little guy 160 lbs , if that matters.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:00 PM   #3
Christopher Walls
Member Christopher Walls is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Alton  IL
Posts: 250
Re: Lucy

Well Brandon, what is your fitness background? Any improvement is great, no matter what it is. Don't down play yourself.

Also is Lucy a WOD your box does? It's not on the mainsite.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:21 AM   #4
Brandon Eagleberger
Member Brandon Eagleberger is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Checotah  OK
Posts: 32
Re: Lucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Walls View Post
Well Brandon, what is your fitness background? Any improvement is great, no matter what it is. Don't down play yourself.

Also is Lucy a WOD your box does? It's not on the mainsite.
Ya it's one we usually do once a week. I thought it was a main WOD.

It's 5 pullups ,10 burpees ,run 400 meters . 5 rounds for time
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:45 AM   #5
Brendan McNamar
Affiliate Brendan McNamar is offline
 
Brendan McNamar's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Glendale  AZ
Posts: 2,216
Re: Lucy

That workout greatly favors small light people.

5 pull-ups with transition =:20 sec
10 burpees with transition = :40 sec
400m @ reasonable pace =1:50 average

So I would say anything around 15:00 is a fairly good pace. At your size maybe 18:00. So you have room for improvement.

Your biggest issue is @ 6' I suspect you shouldn't weight more then 200 unless you have a big lifting/bodybuilding back ground.

Knock off 40 lbs. and you will be much faster.

Put a 40 pound weight vest on your friend and he will be much slower.
__________________
Nomadic CrossFit Coach
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #6
Brandon Eagleberger
Member Brandon Eagleberger is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Checotah  OK
Posts: 32
Re: Lucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
That workout greatly favors small light people.

5 pull-ups with transition =:20 sec
10 burpees with transition = :40 sec
400m @ reasonable pace =1:50 average

So I would say anything around 15:00 is a fairly good pace. At your size maybe 18:00. So you have room for improvement.

Your biggest issue is @ 6' I suspect you shouldn't weight more then 200 unless you have a big lifting/bodybuilding back ground.

Knock off 40 lbs. and you will be much faster.

Put a 40 pound weight vest on your friend and he will be much slower.
I have always been 210+ . My goal is to get down around 200's , but since I've started crossfit I went up 238 already in 3 weeks. I've gotten stronger , but i guess the protein after my workouts is the cause. I have changed my diet drastically starting January 1st , but not on a exact diet , just eating grilled chicken , fruits and smoothies made with low fat yogurt as meal subs.
Thought about really trying the paleo ,but seems like it'll be tough to follow , with 0 dairy , and 0 grains .
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:03 AM   #7
Brendan McNamar
Affiliate Brendan McNamar is offline
 
Brendan McNamar's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Glendale  AZ
Posts: 2,216
Re: Lucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Eagleberger View Post
I have changed my diet drastically starting January 1st , but not on a exact diet , just eating grilled chicken , fruits and smoothies made with low fat yogurt as meal subs.
Thought about really trying the paleo ,but seems like it'll be tough to follow , with 0 dairy , and 0 grains .
Paleo is not that hard to follow. If it was I wouldn't do it. It does take a lot of shopping and cooking. I promise you chicken, fruit and smoothies won't work for long. Too much sugar, not enough healthy fats.
__________________
Nomadic CrossFit Coach
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:01 PM   #8
Brandon Eagleberger
Member Brandon Eagleberger is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Checotah  OK
Posts: 32
Re: Lucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
Paleo is not that hard to follow. If it was I wouldn't do it. It does take a lot of shopping and cooking. I promise you chicken, fruit and smoothies won't work for long. Too much sugar, not enough healthy fats.
Dang .Well I'll get a couple months in , and hit the paleo up if my body isn't changing the way I want. The wifey likes to cook , so may be tuff on me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #9
Patty Wells
Member Patty Wells is offline
 
Patty Wells's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Snohomish  WA
Posts: 32
Re: Lucy

If your wife likes to cook Paleo will be easy just get her on board. There are paleo versions of almost everything you can eat SAD it's just healthier for you. I am from the south I love love love some good southern comfort food but you know what? I don't miss it one bit at all and when I do I either make the paleo version or allow an occasional cheat meal.

Also Paleo isn't 100% no dairy its not a strict diet it's a lifestyle and people choose what works for them. Many include good sourced cheeses, butter from grass fed cows, raw milk ect. Also long as it doesnt limit your weight loss and have health issues then go for it. Source good, local, whole ingredients ideally.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Eagleberger View Post
Dang .Well I'll get a couple months in , and hit the paleo up if my body isn't changing the way I want. The wifey likes to cook , so may be tuff on me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #10
David Drury
Member David Drury is offline
 
David Drury's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Thatcham  Berkshire
Posts: 9
Cool Re: Lucy

Hi, an interesting book to read if your trying to cut weight is Gary taubes
Why we get fat and what to do about it.

I found it helped. It isn't as strict as paleo but it worked for me.

Hope this helps.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.