CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-19-2005, 03:56 PM   #1
Ashley Rogers

Profile:
From looking at the CrossFit certification pictures, it looks like bodybuilding buffs are starting to turn CrossFit for their physical fitness needs.

I wish more gyms were set up for CrossFit style of training.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:18 AM   #2
bill fox

Profile:

You know that's an interesting observation but here's my theory. As more people at the certs have been doing CF longer prior to the cert you're going to see more muscle at the cert. Judging by my 3 weeks or so I would guess I'll putting on 5 lbs (chest, arms and legs)over the next few months doing CF.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:55 AM   #3
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
I would tend to agree with Bill. Most bodybuilders I know (and I know a few) verge on being petrified of any kind of cardiovascular/"metabolic" work beyond literally walking on the treadmill. They would run screaming from CF.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:04 AM   #4
Frank C Ollis

Profile:
Ashley,
If you look closely at the proportions, you will notice a difference between the muscular CrossFit folks, and body builders.

That difference is, we look proportioned, and they don't. Most of us tend to look normal in street clothes, body builders tend to look like a "fat guy in a little shirt".
Old 04-20-2005, 09:06 AM   #5
John Walsh

Profile:
Agreed. Real bodybuilders of the drug using/fake tan variety have no interest in CF because it is not the most efficient way to hypertrophy. Bodybuilding on drugs is the quickest way to get big. I have one hardcore BB type friend and he would consider CF-ers too skinny and not freaky enough. He hates our workouts because they are too taxing. He trains hard and is strong but in a much different way.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:32 AM   #6
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Remember my buddy Glen the British bodybuilder turned Thai boxer turned boxer? He's the guy I mentioned in another thread who wears his belt throughout the workout and slipped on wrist wraps when he thought pullups were coming because his back is so strong his grip will give out before he has fully worked his back. He has done two workouts with me and both times was on the verge of a Pukie encounter. None of the rest of us could even see Pukie off in the distance.

Glen has not been back for a couple weeks. Me thinks his body doth protest too much. He is very strong but he continues to do the standard bodybuilder split routines. Remember that training in a segmented fashion develops a segmentated capacity. I have yet to be able to convince him of that. Old habits die hard. CrossFit is hard too, really hard, makes you taste penny's hard. He told me that after FGB he was reminded of some of his really brutal Thai boxing workouts. He is teaching at the police academy now and is very busy but he can make time. I think he is avoiding me...avoiding CF.

I hope he comes back, I love watching him struggle...er, develop.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:31 AM   #7
Eric Moffit

Profile:
Shakespeare...nice. only Eugene could tie Hamlet to bodybuilders doing CrossFit. well done.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:33 AM   #8
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Matt said, "I would tend to agree with Bill. Most bodybuilders I know (and I know a few) verge on being petrified of any kind of cardiovascular/"metabolic" work beyond literally walking on the treadmill. They would run screaming from CF."

I agree except for that last part about running screaming. They would probably stand still and scream...less taxing.

There are a lot big guys out there. Strong guys. I think a large segment of the population that is "athletic" have turned to bodybuilding because they don't know better. Most of us didn't know better at some point. Gradually they are finding their way here.

The great thing is that Coach is doing his thing and not comprimising for the sake of selling out. People come to do the work...or try to do the work. Many get weeded out.

Most people don't see the utility in training hard or learning complex or functional movements. They'll get weeded out too thru natural selection.

Old 04-21-2005, 05:11 AM   #9
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Great points Keith. This program could eat people. Bodyduilding magazines killed strength training in the 80's and 90's. You were either a endurance athlete (Mark Allen...the most fit man) or your only choice was to hit the mass market bodybuilding magazines. What the magazines didn't tell you (and still don't), is that the workout's of the "stars" were fuled by boatloads of drugs, most of these guys have no idea how to teach someone to weight train, frankly most of these guys couldn't put five words together. Crossfit usually involves some deprograming and reeducation.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:14 AM   #10
Frank C Ollis

Profile:
Larry,
Well, that sucks for me. You know Marines can never be deprogrammed!