CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 06-22-2007, 03:05 PM   #1
Mitchell Brown

Profile:
I've been doing circuit training every day (compulsarily) and I've found afterwards I have headaches, blurred vision, vomiting and a throbbing behind my eyes. After mentioning this to my physical training instructor I immediately saw a nurse. I understand that these symptoms could be rectified by drinking more water, however, the nurse took my stats and had my pulse rate at 200 for about 20 minutes after exercise finished. Should I be worried about this?
Old 06-22-2007, 06:24 PM   #2
Connie Morreale

Profile:
see a doctor. this is NOT normal. you may have tachardia, but even if you dont, you need something more then advice from a message board.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:41 PM   #3
Aaron Gaskill

Profile:
You most definetly have tachycardia. That just mean s you have a high heart rate. I agree with connie, you should see a doctor. They will probably have you wear a holter monitor for 24 or 48 hours. This will take ecg's (ekg's) continuously throughout the day and night. Then they will determine what you should do.

Please take our advice and see a doctor. Even if nothing is wrong, your heart is nothing to mess around with.

Good luck. Let us know what happens

-Aaron
Old 06-22-2007, 10:29 PM   #4
S. Tyler Bayles

Profile:
200 is way way high for 20min post work-out. go to an MD asap.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:29 AM   #5
John Mark Trower

Profile:
Your HR should drop back below 100 within a few minutes. I had episodes of my HR hitting 220-240, and was treated by an Electrophysiologist. It's been 12 yrs, I've had no recurrence. After a Tabata workout, my HR will be in the 165-180 range, but is down to 105 within a minute or so. The treatment for most tachycardia of this type is an RF Ablation, which is minimally invasive, has a quick recovery, and for most people fixes the problem permanently.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:51 AM   #6
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
holy cheese... the last time I had a heart rate that high was when I was like 2 years old!!!

edit: That's not a good thing. Even though your heart is pumping at 200 beats, it's not pumping in the correct rhythm at that point, and you're only pumping maybe 100 or 120 (that's an absolute guess by the way) beats worth of blood. Maybe more, maybe less.

(Message edited by Matt_DeMinico on June 25, 2007)
Old 06-28-2007, 12:47 AM   #7
Mitchell Brown

Profile:
I saw a medical officer and was hooked up to an ECG test. I might have got that acronym wrong, but I had clips on my ankles, chest and under my arms that were taking a reading. The doctor said everything was fine, and to stop malingering. I won't bring it up again.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:51 AM   #8
Karin Jonczak

Profile:
I call BS... if you really are taking that long to recover from a work out, something IS wrong. The fact that you have headaches, blurred vision etc, is SCARY and IMO should be treated as dangerous.

Don't get me wrong, I admire the medical industry (I am about to enter it full time), but 99% of the time the ONLY person looking out for you is YOU. Keep pushing the doc, being a PITA, and generally annoying them so that they do more / other tests. Do your own research, learn, and question, question, question. When are you done that QUESTION MORE! If you only show symptoms when you are post-workout then running an EKG during a normal period is mostly pointless (rules out some issues) as it is not looking at what your heart is doing during periods of STRESS.

To even contemplate that you are 'malingering' is insulting to you (and amazingly arrogant of your 'medical' officer).
Old 06-28-2007, 09:41 AM   #9
Connie Morreale

Profile:
karin said it right.

i would say that if it were an isolated single instance we could blame it on a bad piece of fish for dinner the night before. but if this is happening on a regular basis, i'd get a second opinion.
might not hurt to ask immediate family members if they ever experience anything remotely close when doing heavy exertion.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:18 PM   #10
Ken Mindoro

Profile:
Mitchell, it's not malingering if someone else measured your heart rate at that elevated rate. Like others have said, you may benefit from seeing a different doctor. If your symptoms are reproducible and are happening more frequently, further testing may be warranted. You probably wouldn't need a holter monitor. An exercise treadmill may a more helpful test.