CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-04-2007, 08:30 PM   #1
Jed Johnson

Profile:
Hey people. I'm attempting to learn all about protein shakes. I know Nothing at all about protein shakes, their purpose, the different types, the different ingredients.

If someone here has the time and they are willing to spend some time explaining, i would like to know about protein shakes and the types like Whey Protein.
Is Whey protein a TYPE of protein shake or is it the ULtimate, no others really compare..
I would be drinking the shake to aid muscle building and overall nutrition.
If Whey protein is the best, is there stuff I need to look for/avoid in the ingredients, all that jazz if you have the time please explain thank you people
Old 03-04-2007, 09:42 PM   #2
Nick Cummings

Profile:

I am not sure I understand your question. I use "protein shakes" as meal substitutes. I would love to be able to eat whole food meals 100% of the time, my choices of how to spend my time currently prevent that. I make a shake of 2 cups milk, 1 scoop whey, 1 scoop oatmeal(same scooper as the whey), one small banana, 1/2 cup blueberrys. This is close to 6 protein 6 carbs. I chase it with olive oil or add almonds. In an ideal world I would probably not eat milk, oatmeal, or whey but I balance my passion for health with the rest of my responsibilities and interests.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:37 AM   #3
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Jed
1. Use the search feature of this site.
2. Google Whey(and other) proteins.

Just asking opinions is fine, but that's all you're going to get, some good, some bad, but in the end, it's your decision, so do YOUR homework(D&D).
BTW, look around on the this site, while I do buy my Protein from Alex, it is a good informative site, but there are many. I have not $$ in the site and it's W/F/S.

http://proteinfactory.com/

Jay
Old 03-05-2007, 05:31 AM   #4
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Nothing replaces whole, nutritious foods...nothing. While protein shakes may fill gaps in your diet or used for convenience purposes on the fly, they should only account for no more than 20% of your daily protein intake. Liquid protein does not assimilate as well as food so most of it is excreted (wasted) anyway.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:59 AM   #5
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Protein shakes have their purpose, but Steve is correct...as usual. I will throw water or milk, whey, frozen mixed berries, almond butter, a fruit flavored "greens" suppliment, flax powder, and 4-5 ice cubes in a blender. Get pretty much everything in one drink. This should not be a 3x a day thing...once a day when pressed this makes a good snack. Throw some extra fiber and fish oil in, could be disgusting, but you'd be covered.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:07 PM   #6
Daniel Miller

Profile:
"Liquid protein does not assimilate as well as food so most of it is excreted (wasted) anyway."

Steve, I'm just curious how you know that?
Old 03-05-2007, 05:48 PM   #7
Charlie Jackson

Profile:
Steve, I'm just curious how you know that?

Probably something off Mercola.com or Weston Price. Actually, raw egg is liquid protein and it has a 88% rate of absorption. Meat has a 68% rate of absorption. Whey protein powder isn't a liquid protein. A powder is a solid, even when it's mixed with water. So his statement doesn't really relate to the question anyway.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:24 PM   #8
Max Seid

Profile:
Just to add to Steve's comment as to how your body excretes liquid protein. Based on your body type, weight, size, etc., the body only can handle so much protein in doses (especially through liquid). Thus, if for example, you are trying to get bigger and you take a 50 gram protein shake at the end of a workout, your body will absorb as much as it can and your body will dispose of the rest (this is done through things such as peeing).

Jed, I'm assuming along with muscle you are trying to gain size as well. If this is the situation, sure protein shakes will help, but you also have to increase your calorie intake. It is hard to gain size with crossfit unless you eat eat and eat. Muscle on the otherhand, thats just a biproduct of the program.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:27 PM   #9
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
I will add if you do take a shake...the PWO is the most crutial time as your muscles are primed to intake amino acids for growth and repair. Your money will not go to waste during this window of opportunity...the rest of the day, possibly.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:49 PM   #10
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Charlie - you're an idiot, contribute nothing to this board, and not one person here likes you...when are you going to realize that?

I don't have actual studies handy (although I could find them if need be) but there is significant evidence that food is better used in a solid form than in a liquid form. Studies show that chewing food rather drinking it, involves a process called the Saliva Test which induces critical actions of the epidermal growth factor, a factor that plays an important role in regenerating liver cells and supports critical immune functions

Solid food generally has a slower rate of assimilation than liquid food. When protein is slowly released, it helps keep the muscle in an anabolic state for a longer period of time while minimizing amino acid waste. From that aspect, whole foods is far superior to protein shakes and can be the best mode for delivering amino acids to starving muscles (especially following a workout).