CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-22-2006, 08:42 AM   #1
Jeanette Lotz

Profile:
Currently I take a women's multi-plus vitamin from Optimum Nutrition. I also take digestive enzymes, probiotics, and an oil blend. I am thinking about adding some anti-oxidants to the mix as well. I was wondering if it is possible to take too much of one vitamin or supplement to the point of there being a negative reaction. (ex. My multi says it has 250mg of vitamin C. Is it okay to take more vitamin C then that or is it not necessary?).
Old 03-22-2006, 09:46 AM   #2
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Water soluble vitamins are generally no concern and 250mg of vitamin C is nothing. Fat soluble vitamins on the other hand (A,D,E,K) can cause toxicity issues, but I'm not sure of the amounts to worry about.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:14 PM   #3
jacob lee overy

Profile:  
I would suggest starting off with a good breakfast, then a multi-mineral/multi- vitamin, drink 64 ounces of water a day(minimum) and eat 5 0r 6 small meals through out the rest of your day. If you eat a good healthy diet, you should get what you need out of the meals. Eat organic. Check out Dr. Sears' book Omega RX Zone and crossfit journal #21. Be careful with the enzymes and such in your digestive track, that can be a very touchy subject and you should consult a physician or naturalist with that kind of knowledge. A lot of times we try to make our body better but throw it out of balance and that is just as bad as smoking or other toxins, sometimes worse. Please learn as much as you can and pass on the knowledge. Good Luck and Have Fun.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:45 PM   #4
Nikki Young

Profile:
Multi Vitamins/synthetic vitamins have their place. But unless you are difficient in the vitamin/mineral, and your doctor has said 'take a MV', i don't think they will have any benefits to your health at all.

Unless you are talking about a whole food suppliment, the vitamins and minerals in a MV are isolated, they are also synthetically made (man made). I'll list two reasons why unless you are difficient in the vitamin or mineral you are supplementing with, they have limited (if any) benefits.

1. There are thousands and thousands of phytonutrients out there, found in fruits and vegetables. So many infact, that the majority of them have not even been named, however, scientists are starting to think that there are around 10,000 phytonutrients in EVERY single fruit and vegitable. So, all these phytonutrients/emzymes/vitamins/minerals help other phytonutrients/emzymes/vitamins/minerals to be absorbed in the body, they work together.. vitamin #12 is digested in the body with the help of phytonutrients #1256 and #8463. You get a MV, and they have taken around 14 of these nutrients and put them into a capsual.. so how can vitamin #3 be digested in the body, if enzyme #2946 isn't there?? Well, it can't.. unless you are difficient, in which case your body will do all it can to use it (explained in point 2)

2. The nutrients in fresh fruits/vegetables are different to those made synthetically. Thats kinda obvious.. however the shape of the 2 are different, but if you are so difficient in say, iron, your body will recognise similarities and then use it. However, like i said.. if your body doesn't need it, it will not recognise what this chemical is your putting into your body and reject it = pass through the kidneys = and back out.. Ever taken a MV or a B vitamin suppliment? Was your urine bright yellow? Thats cause your body regected it.

A synthetic vitamin, once seperated from its complex, must recombine with its members (enzymes, trace minerals, associative vitamins) before it can funtion as a nutrient.

I think if your intial thought is 'im going to take these vitamins and minerals because i know im not getting enough through my diet', then you should look into a whole food suppliment which will provide them to you in a NON-ISOLATED form. www.juiceplus.com . I believe in this product, it's highly researched (try find a research study proving your MV has beneficial results), the studies have shown awesome results; improving DNA damage and increasing antioxidant levels dramatically (to name only two). Juice+ is whole food based nutrition made from fresh raw fruits and vegitables, in which you are going to get all the vitamins/minerals/enzymes/antioxidants you will need. Then chuck out the MV sups that don't expire for another 5yrs..

So to finish this off.. i just want to repeat that i DO NOT have anything against synthetic vitamins or minerals when they are used in the right situation.