CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-01-2005, 01:29 PM   #1
Michael Ledney

Profile:
Greetings all,

A recent injury has kept me away from the garage (and my computer) for the past 10 days. Once I got tired of laying in bed whacked out on pills I decided to research zone diet. Looks like I'm ready to commit.

I'd always resisted because I consider myself a pretty accomplished cook and I really enjoy my time in the kitchen. Turns out most of the things I make regularly can be easily squeezed into zone ratios with slight modifications. Not a big deal.

Based on the information I was able to pull down from the zoneperfect website I'm supposed to be eating 25 blocks per day in a 5/5/5/4/5/1 fashion. First off that seems like quite a lot of food, but I've searched the message board enough to realize that that is a common complaint among recent converts.

My question is how best to time these meals so that they don't interfere with my workout? The obvious answer is equally; ~3 hours between each, but I have a very tough time working out intensely that close to a big meal.

I want to do a 2.5 hr interval between meals 1-4, workout, then meal 5, ~5 hours after meal 4, then a cup of milk and some nuts before bed. Would that big lag between meals 4 and 5 negate the positive impact I expect from increasing my calories and fat intake by following zone ratios?

Thanks in advance
Old 11-01-2005, 02:22 PM   #2
Chris Forbis

Profile:
I will relay that Nicole and others tend to recommend far lower block amounts than the Zone calculator spits out.

In general, a .7 activity factor is used for Crossfitters. Which leads to a block prescription of LBM/10.

For what it's worth, I do my morning workout coming off an overnight fast. During the day, I eat 4 and 5 block meals 2.5-3 hours apart.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:07 AM   #3
Michael Ledney

Profile:
Thanks Chris, that was a rookie mistake.

Using the .9 factor from the calculator that first day I felt like I was auditioning for the lead in "Bloated Wreck - The Movie". Much more comfortable at .7. Timing is working fine so far though tonight will be my first full intensity WOD since injury/full zone compliance.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:14 PM   #4
Jerry D. Stephenson

Profile:  
Michael: I'm a Zone newby, been on it for just less than a month. When I did the calculations at 161 lbs. LBM, I should have been eating 18-19 blocks per day. That was definitely too much; I couldn't even force myself to eat that much. I instead went on 15 to 16 per day. This is definitely enough for me. I haven't lost any weight, but my strength, conditioning, and energy has increased dramatically.