CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 03-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:
Clean Pull + Hang Clean @225

So I've been working on getting my clean form in order. PR'd back in November but it was kinda ugly. Early arm bend..back not set..hopping forward on the catch etc. So I've been working on correcting all those things. Here's where I'm at now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFKW...e_gdata_player WFS

After watching it a few times I feel I'm not taking full advantage of hip extension. Any advice, cues would help. Thanks!
Old 03-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #2
John Holcombe

Profile:
Re: Clean Pull + Hang Clean @225

Looks great to me. nice lift!
Old 03-12-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

Looked good to me! Side view might tell more, but from that angle looks good to me.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:16 AM   #4
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

Are you hook gripping?
Old 03-14-2013, 07:41 AM   #5
Adam Shreim

Profile:

No idea, but thanks for posting this. I think this is what I need to do in order to fix my clean. I reach full extension on the snatch, because I learned it properly. I don't on the clean because I picked up some bad habits a few years ago so I never really work on it. From now on, I will do this until it is a solid transition.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:15 AM   #6
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Swartz View Post
Are you hook gripping?
No however I'm fully aware that I should be. It's really just being lazy, no other excuse.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:22 AM   #7
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Shreim View Post
No idea, but thanks for posting this. I think this is what I need to do in order to fix my clean. I reach full extension on the snatch, because I learned it properly. I don't on the clean because I picked up some bad habits a few years ago so I never really work on it. From now on, I will do this until it is a solid transition.
I think you're in the wrong thread bud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Wintczak View Post
No however I'm fully aware that I should be. It's really just being lazy, no other excuse.
Quit being lazy. Hook grip.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:42 PM   #8
Mike Donalds

Profile:

I wouldn't really call that a clean pull -- looked more like a clean deadlift to me. A clean pull is supposed to mimic the entire lower half of the clean (1st and 2nd pull, and sometimes, even a portion of the 3rd). You barely put any effort into the second pull the first go around and I couldn't see much upward momentum on the bar from that point.

Here's an example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoZRU97jxXQ (wfs)

You don't have to pull with the arms to simulate a reverse of direction, but he is still putting 100% effort into the 1st and 2nd pulling phases.

Your clean looked pretty good from what I can tell -- hard to really tell from this angle, though. Try not to pitch your head/neck down/forward when you catch otherwise your chest will start to follow your chin. Extend your spine tall and squeeze.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:46 PM   #9
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Donalds View Post
I wouldn't really call that a clean pull -- looked more like a clean deadlift to me. A clean pull is supposed to mimic the entire lower half of the clean (1st and 2nd pull, and sometimes, even a portion of the 3rd). You barely put any effort into the second pull the first go around and I couldn't see much upward momentum on the bar from that point.

Here's an example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoZRU97jxXQ (wfs)

You don't have to pull with the arms to simulate a reverse of direction, but he is still putting 100% effort into the 1st and 2nd pulling phases.

Your clean looked pretty good from what I can tell -- hard to really tell from this angle, though. Try not to pitch your head/neck down/forward when you catch otherwise your chest will start to follow your chin. Extend your spine tall and squeeze.
You're right it was a pretty sorry effort as far as the pull portion was concerned. Thanks for the cue on the head movement. I'll keep it in check and stay straight and tall.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #10
Mike Donalds

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Wintczak View Post
You're right it was a pretty sorry effort as far as the pull portion was concerned. Thanks for the cue on the head movement. I'll keep it in check and stay straight and tall.
No worries man!