CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-22-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
Will Feber

Profile:
Getting my bench up

Been doing GSLP for a while and making good progress on my squat and deadlift.. press is going okayish..

82kg bodyweight, 157.5kg squat, 180kg deadlift, 62kg press, 85kg bench

GSLP doesn't really seem work all that well for my bench, making very slow progress, but also stalled a few times already. Form is okay, had several trainers check.

Can you guys think of any program that is worth giving a shot to fix my bench?
Old 11-22-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: Getting my bench up

And what trainers are doing the checking? If they are CrossFit trainers have they been to the Westside cert?

Anyway, I wrote a program I guarantee will increase your bench by 15+ lbs in the 30 days if you follow it to a "T". See below:

WFS: http://www.wannabebig.com/training/p...bs-in-30-days/

Now, again, do NOT add anything to the routine. Do NOT do CrossFit WODs on strength training days, and no more than 2 WODs per week during the 30 days of the program. In fact, it would be best if you did nothing else but the program.

You do NOT have to follow the dietary recommendations. The supplements are a good idea and will optimize results, but are not necessary.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:57 PM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

When you've stalled, on the 10% reset were you getting more reps at that weight than you were at the previous time on it? In other words, if I stall at 100kg and reset to 90kg, I should be able to get more reps on my 5+ set at 90kg than I did when I passed 90kg a few weeks prior. If I don't, there's probably a shortcoming with my recovery.

There's no reason your bench should be stalling at just above bodyweight unless you're not pushing yourself hard enough or doing enough for recovery (i.e. eating and sleeping). But you could always add in some weighted dips and some heavy dumbbell rows once or twice a week. Dips will help with triceps strength and the dumbbell rows will help with upper back stability on the bench.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:34 PM   #4
Eric Shuty

Profile:

It would really help to see exactly what you have been doing. Saying "I've been doing GSLP" is not a lot of detail. That could mean anything from "I've been doing only GSLP and eating tons of protein and resting" to "I've been doing GSLP and I'm a vegan and I do WODs 4 times a week and I run 3 times a week." Both of those peopole are doing GSLP but I can guarantee you that one would be experiencing more signicant gains than the other.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:03 AM   #5
Will Feber

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
And what trainers are doing the checking? If they are CrossFit trainers have they been to the Westside cert?
Not really Crossfit trainers, trainers with a strength and conditioning background. Pretty sure they don't have a Westside cert.

Will check out the program.. Thanks!
Old 11-23-2012, 03:13 AM   #6
Will Feber

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
When you've stalled, on the 10% reset were you getting more reps at that weight than you were at the previous time on it? In other words, if I stall at 100kg and reset to 90kg, I should be able to get more reps on my 5+ set at 90kg than I did when I passed 90kg a few weeks prior.
Yes, but only by one or two reps.. then progress slows down again and I start stalling just slightly above where I've stalled before. Generally not that strong upper body-wise. Can only do 9 or 10 unweighted dips.

Adding dips and rows sounds good. Right now I'm already doing the GSLP program with curls. How about something like this:

3 x 5 Bench / 3 x 5 Press
2 x 10 - 12 Curls
3 x 5 Squat / 1 x 5 DL
2 x 6 - 8 Dips / Rows
Old 11-23-2012, 03:38 AM   #7
Will Feber

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Shuty View Post
It would really help to see exactly what you have been doing. Saying "I've been doing GSLP" is not a lot of detail. That could mean anything from "I've been doing only GSLP and eating tons of protein and resting" to "I've been doing GSLP and I'm a vegan and I do WODs 4 times a week and I run 3 times a week." Both of those peopole are doing GSLP but I can guarantee you that one would be experiencing more signicant gains than the other.
GSLP 3 days a week. No wods at all. Pretty stressful work-life, but mostly get 8 hours of sleep. Eat mostly clean, lots of vegetables, lots of protein (meat, beans, milk products). I usually eat about 1.5 - 2.0 gram per kg of bw.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:59 AM   #8
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Any injury history?
Old 11-23-2012, 07:07 AM   #9
Will Feber

Profile:

Nope. Only other thing I can think of that puts me in a disadvantage when it comes to benching: I have long arms.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:33 AM   #10
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Feber View Post
Yes, but only by one or two reps.. then progress slows down again and I start stalling just slightly above where I've stalled before. Generally not that strong upper body-wise. Can only do 9 or 10 unweighted dips.

Adding dips and rows sounds good. Right now I'm already doing the GSLP program with curls. How about something like this:

3 x 5 Bench / 3 x 5 Press
2 x 10 - 12 Curls
3 x 5 Squat / 1 x 5 DL
2 x 6 - 8 Dips / Rows
If you can only do 9-10 dips you could add in some FM style dips on each of your lifting days. 2-3 sets of 5 reps would fit into your warmup alright without messing up your work sets, then you can still do a few work sets of 6-8 reps with an added 5-10lbs after you're done benching or pressing. For the rows, I like them the way Wendler recommends...do 2-3 sets of 20-30 reps as heavy as you can go after bench days. Great for upper back and grip strength, which will also pay off for chins and deadlifts.

Are you doing FM pushups? If not, I'd start throwing them in 3-4 days a week for 3-4 sets at about 50% of your max reps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Feber View Post
GSLP 3 days a week. No wods at all. Pretty stressful work-life, but mostly get 8 hours of sleep. Eat mostly clean, lots of vegetables, lots of protein (meat, beans, milk products). I usually eat about 1.5 - 2.0 gram per kg of bw.
Carbs are important for recovery and for heavy sets--are you getting any carbs aside from what's in your vegetables and milk?