CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-16-2011, 07:04 AM   #1
Rob Ray

Profile:
Homemade Wall Ball

Hello!

First, thanks to all of you that have posted pictures, tips and tricks on creating your respective home gyms! The CrossFit community is really awesome, and this shared-knowledge really speeds-up the learning curve.

My question revolves around homemade wall-balls. I've looked around and created my own medicine ball using the sand/basketball trick and it works pretty well (especially considering the cost). I'm wondering if any of you have had any luck trying to replicate the larger/softer ones like the ones from Dynamax?

Aside from being slightly smaller in diameter (something that's easy to get over), I've noticed the basketball-variety don't have the same "bounce" that those from Dynamax have (you don't get any spring-back once the ball hits the wall). Maybe look for a larger ball to stuff and include some foam or rags on the inside? Just bite the bullet and buy one?

Thanks!

- Rob
Old 04-17-2011, 11:37 PM   #2
John Biddle

Profile:
Re: Homemade Wall Ball

I have tried cutting up an old yoga mat and taping that on to the outside of the sandfilled basketball type medicine ball. I cut sort of elongated US football shapes out of the mat (same length as half the diameter of the medicine ball, and say 3 or 4 inches wide at the widest point), cutting a couple of small V shapes out of the side of the mat pieces (so that the pieces will fit more closely to the shape of the ball), fitted them to the side of the ball and taped them down. You fully tape down one piece of mat and go on to the next piece. At some point you are left to cut some odd shapes to fill in the gaps. Tape over it again, and the medicine ball has a softer feel to it.

I ended up putting a second layer of mat over the first one, which felt better again, and makes the medicine ball that little bit larger as well. I've had no trouble with the surface layers coming off, although I don't try slamming the ball.

I recently saw that there is a gardening product called rubber mulch - I haven't tried this but I wonder if mixing some of that with the sand in the medicine ball would help. Maybe you'd need to add some lead in to get the weight of the ball up - and maybe the cost of these things makes buying a proper one more attractive! Good luck with in anyway.