CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-05-2011, 08:33 PM   #1
Cliff Bogan

Profile:
soreness/overtraining

hey everyone,

I was wondering what is the difference between the two? how can you tell if i feel sore is that just something to walk it off or is it me actually hurting my body and leading to an injury which is a no in my books lol. and if your overtraining how do you use proper rest days if i go on a 5 days a week workout program? without a saturday? than last question how can you tell overtraining isnt just lack of form and is actually undertraning? if there any crossfit jorunals about this please let me know

p.s. my body and legs would surely appreciate your answers
Old 04-05-2011, 10:33 PM   #2
Marcus Allen

Profile:
Re: soreness/overtraining

Soreness is a symptom. Are you new to CF movements, intensity, and schedule? If you are, then expect some soreness. Scale appropriately and ease back in.

Are you having trouble sleeping? Is your progress stopping or numbers regressing? Is the soreness not alleviated by warm ups, stretching, foam rolling or other therapies? Are you crabby? Do you "drag" all day especially with no workout? These are more indications of overtraining and the only way to fix this is with TIME OFF.

Recovery/rest days are often undervalued.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:50 AM   #3
Cliff Bogan

Profile:

thank you! I am not new at crossfit at all and actually started over a year ago but got into a harder crossfit program and it just feels like my legs wont move fast and with warm ups it just hurts worst and i leave for bootcamp in three months so i dont want an injury. so when you say time off does that mean one day or so or more?
Old 04-06-2011, 05:53 AM   #4
Marcus Allen

Profile:

If you are experiencing overtraining you will need 1-2 weeks or more of rest and recovery.

Is the soreness an all the time kind of thing? How long have been in the new class? How's your diet and sleep? Do you take any supplements or vitamins?

Has anything else changed in your daily activity? Do you do any extra mobility/stretching work?

All of these things can affect soreness. If you've just increased to 5 on 2 off that could also be contributing. You may want to try 2-1-2-2 or just give yourself a couple of extra rest days and see how you feel.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:13 AM   #5
Cliff Bogan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Allen View Post
If you are experiencing overtraining you will need 1-2 weeks or more of rest and recovery.

Is the soreness an all the time kind of thing? How long have been in the new class? How's your diet and sleep? Do you take any supplements or vitamins?

Has anything else changed in your daily activity? Do you do any extra mobility/stretching work?

All of these things can affect soreness. If you've just increased to 5 on 2 off that could also be contributing. You may want to try 2-1-2-2 or just give yourself a couple of extra rest days and see how you feel.
Really that much! lol yes the sorness is an all time thing in my legs right behind my knee cap beacuse i really started working my legs. this new class is actually a prgram called brassring fitness and ive been doing it for 3 weeks now with the five on two off but last week i went two one two? and i take two scoops of whey protein but that it.

nothing else changed in my activity and ive actually been trying to stretch more due to running increase. ill see how i feel i can take today as a rest but thursday is my marine poolee functions and there no resting on marine time.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:53 AM   #6
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Um, "behind your kneecap" isn't muscle soreness, that's an injury. And the Brass Ring workouts are . . . not ideal, let's put it that way. And I'm guessing you don't take deload weeks. Training increase + crappy program + no deload = injury and eventual overtraining.

If you're interested in just beating yourself up, go for it. If you're interested in actually getting faster, stronger, etc, I would back off and try a different program.

As for serious overtraining, it goes beyond soreness and into a crash in mood, random weight loss or gain, lack of motivation to workout or do anything, feeling sluggish with all of your movements, problems sleeping, decrease in mental function, maybe more symptoms than that.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:02 AM   #7
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Overtraining doesn't happen in one workout or one weeks worth of workouts. Overtraining occurs due to a longer term systemic overload that your body can't recover from for any number of reasons.

What you're describing sounds like tendinitis or PFPS. We see it all the time with recruits who show up having not worked out regularly and as a result they develop overuse injuries quickly. Overuse does not equal overtraining.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:30 PM   #8
Andrew Breyer

Profile:

Lots to be said about this. I was in a similar position and took a week off to dial in my nutrition with the addition of fish oil and a magnesium supplement (natural calm) and that really helped for me.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:06 PM   #9
Chris Mason

Profile:

Sounds like tendonitis to me. So many reasons, but one of the most likely is squatting like most CFers do in their WODs is VERY hard on the knees.

Look into proper box squatting and avoid free squats for the time being.

WFS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5BJbiguxOc

Yes, that's me babbling about her technique and telling her to do it wrong. Laura is am AMAZING athlete with the best technique I have ever seen.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:46 PM   #10
Marcus Allen

Profile:

Quote:
Sounds like tendonitis to me. So many reasons, but one of the most likely is squatting like most CFers do in their WODs is VERY hard on the knees.
Chris- I'm curious as to your opinion on this as it is definitely NOT the case in my experience, or those at our box.

Cliff- What you are descibing is an injury of some sort. Overtraining is systemic.

With the pain you are describing I would probably drop squats and running and focus on flexibility. Especially hamstring, quad and achilles. Until you have the pain resolved and can figure out what caused it, squats and running will do more damage.