CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
Craig Bravman

Profile:
training clients in a globo gym

Just curious how many trainers here have clinets that go to a globo gym and you train them? My gym wants me to start training, and they knopw i crossfit. Not sure how easy the workouts will translate into a globo setting. dropping weight is one of thoses you can/cant do it. just depends. But my clinets might come once a week, up to 5 times a week. Just seeing if people on this board think it would work!
Old 03-01-2011, 11:23 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: training clients in a globo gym

Why don't you ask the gym management? They're the ultimate authorities on what you can and can't do. Regardless of what we say, unless you and they reach an agreement you can both live with, it's not going to work.

Katherine
Old 03-02-2011, 11:53 AM   #3
Craig Bravman

Profile:

They are okay with most of the stuff crossfit does. But i meant one-on-one with clinets. All have different goals, etc
Old 03-02-2011, 12:38 PM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Bravman View Post
They are okay with most of the stuff crossfit does. But i meant one-on-one with clinets. All have different goals, etc
I'm not sure I understand the question. If the clients don't want to do Crossfit, then why are you training them in the first place? Conversely, if you can't tailor a Crossfit program to the needs and abilities of a client, why are you claiming to be able to train people?

Whether Crossfit will work in a gym setting depends on the gym management. Whether Crossfit will work with globo gym clients depends on you.

Katherine
Old 03-02-2011, 06:06 PM   #5
Craig Bravman

Profile:

I agree on all that. I meant do you think a daily wod would be fine, or more totally different from every person as well giving them workouts when I dont train them to keep it up
Old 03-03-2011, 11:07 AM   #6
Jared Ashley

Profile:

disclaimer: I am not CF certified.

I have taught clients using CF knowledge and methods in the globo setting. It can definately work, so long as management doesn't think you're an idiot.

I found it to be very polarizing. Some clients loved it and only wanted to train with me. Other clients hated it and refused to train with me. You will have to accept this. It polarizes coworkers too... some will have a "live and let live" attitude so long as you don't talk $hit behind their backs, others may openly tell everyone they can that you're dangerous and to avoid you at all costs. This can create problems with management.

Even some random gym clients who were not interested in having anyone train them sometimes had strong opinions. I had several random people tell me they thought I had really neat ideas and they were trying some of the stuff they'd seen out with good success. I had a few others tell me I was an idiot, completely unsafe, and that I was going to get all my clients injured. A couple went so far as to go to management without even warning me first... I never really got in trouble for it, but again that depends on your management.

you'll have to be prepared to deal with all that most chains. You will likely have better luck at local, private gyms or simply working freelance.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:35 PM   #7
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Bravman View Post
I agree on all that. I meant do you think a daily wod would be fine, or more totally different from every person as well giving them workouts when I dont train them to keep it up
I think that totally depends on the clients. Have they bought-in to the whole Crossfit culture, or are you just a personal trainer who happens to use weird workouts?

Katherine
Old 03-04-2011, 10:14 AM   #8
Christopher H Smith

Profile:

If you gym is interested in have you do Crossfit training why don't you ask them to set up a small area of the gym to do WODs. We have an affilate in our area that is based in gym and thye have a room dedicated to Crossfit only where people can go to for the regular scheduled WOD and they also have an area in the main gym where is is set up for doing Crossfit on your own. I think in the future with the way Crossfit is growing the Globo are going to have to learn to co-exsist with Crossfit.