CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 06-01-2010, 09:36 AM   #1
William Gottshall

Profile:
Do You Do Anything Besides the WOD's?

I don't really do anything else besides the CF WOD's right now.

I'm a firefighter and I feel like I should be doing more.

I could do something else 10 days a month (when I'm at the Station).

People always talk about overtraining but I'm guessing I could do more than just the RX'd WOD's and not overtrain but I'm not sure how to go about it.

If you have any suggestions they're all welcome.

Right now I'm 185 - 13% BF. I'd like to get down to around 10% and improve in conditioning and strength.

Thanks,
John
Old 06-01-2010, 09:51 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Do You Do Anything Besides the WOD's?

What are your numbers like and what are your performance-related goals?

Adjust your training to fit those goals, meaning if you want to get bigger and stronger then CF.com or CFE probably isn't the way to go. Also if you're still at the stage where you're new enough that you're setting PRs pretty much every time you go to the gym, there's no need to change things up. But if you're stuck trying to improve your 450lb squat or 500lb deadlift, or cut some more time off your 2:45 Fran or 2:30 Grace, you may need to go to some more advanced programming to continue to see gains.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
William Gottshall

Profile:

Eric,

Thanks so much for responding.

Here are some numbers:
Fran - 4:47
Grace - 7:15
30 Muscle-ups for time - 22:19
HSPU - still can't do one
Deadlift 1RM - 350 (been stuck there forever)
Squat 1RM - 385
Press 1RM - 145 (been stuck there forever)

I would like to get stronger but better conditioning is more important at this point as well as dropping a little body fat.

Thanks for any insight you have and for all the good advice I always see you giving here on the forum.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
What are your numbers like and what are your performance-related goals?

Adjust your training to fit those goals, meaning if you want to get bigger and stronger then CF.com or CFE probably isn't the way to go. Also if you're still at the stage where you're new enough that you're setting PRs pretty much every time you go to the gym, there's no need to change things up. But if you're stuck trying to improve your 450lb squat or 500lb deadlift, or cut some more time off your 2:45 Fran or 2:30 Grace, you may need to go to some more advanced programming to continue to see gains.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:57 PM   #4
Troy Becker

Profile:

Based on your times, you are low in strength compared to your conditioning, in my opinion. Or maybe just power, though your back squat is pretty freakin big if that 385 is recent and to parallel. You will find your overall capacity greatly improved if you "maintain" your current conditioning and get your strength up. There are a million threads about this kind of thing already, from CrossFit Strength Bias (I don't like that one, but I overtrain easily), CrossFit Football, which everyone seems to love, 5/3/1 which I'm a fan of, CrossFit Wichita Falls, incorporating West Side lifting methods (I like that one too), and on and on and on and on and on. And on.

Bottom line: I'd bet money that you will see drastic improvement everywhere if you do nothing more than get stronger. I don't know, but you might focus on the Olympic lifts and dynamic lifts.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:14 PM   #5
William Gottshall

Profile:

Troy, thank you for your insight.

When you mention these other CF programs (CF Football and 5/3/1), are these something I would do in addition to the normal WOD's?

5/3/2 - are you talking about Jim Wendler’s 5/3/1 lifting program?

Thanks again,
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Becker View Post
Based on your times, you are low in strength compared to your conditioning, in my opinion. Or maybe just power, though your back squat is pretty freakin big if that 385 is recent and to parallel. You will find your overall capacity greatly improved if you "maintain" your current conditioning and get your strength up. There are a million threads about this kind of thing already, from CrossFit Strength Bias (I don't like that one, but I overtrain easily), CrossFit Football, which everyone seems to love, 5/3/1 which I'm a fan of, CrossFit Wichita Falls, incorporating West Side lifting methods (I like that one too), and on and on and on and on and on. And on.

Bottom line: I'd bet money that you will see drastic improvement everywhere if you do nothing more than get stronger. I don't know, but you might focus on the Olympic lifts and dynamic lifts.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:04 AM   #6
Cesar Härdfeldt

Profile:

Crossfit football and crossfit strength bias both use pure strenght workouts and metcons, which is what I guess you call 'the normal WOD'.
There's a lot if info on these boards if you search for 'strength bias', and you find an article on the CF journal too.
For crossfit football, chech out their web page.

My guess is 5/3/1 referse to Wendlers program.

Have fun!
/C
Old 06-02-2010, 05:58 PM   #7
Troy Becker

Profile:

CrossFit Football is a program unto it's own, Strength Bias is a template for lifting and shorter WODs. 5/3/1 can be read about here... http://theswole.com/swole/531-jim-we...y-of-strength/ (WFS). West Side stuff can be read about all over the place.

If you do any kind of lifting program, many have found that the assistance work for said program works well in WODs. For instance, on squat day, you can do a workout with hill sprints or box jumps, or power cleans/snatches (hint hint) or whatever you want.

What you want to be careful about is doing an all out lifting program and an all out 3 on 1 off workout thing, you can wear yourself out really easy that way.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:24 PM   #8
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Maybe play a sport? Practice fire fighter stuff (swinging axes, geting kittens out of trees, that sort of thing). I will say that all my knowledge of firefighting has come from TV (Turk 182, backdraft and rescue me)
Old 06-02-2010, 07:02 PM   #9
William Gottshall

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
I will say that all my knowledge of firefighting has come from TV (Turk 182, backdraft and rescue me)
Yes I see that
Old 06-02-2010, 07:38 PM   #10
James White

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Practice fire fighter stuff (swinging axes, geting kittens out of trees, that sort of thing).
That is quote-worthy. Got anything for cops?

Last edited by James White : 06-02-2010 at 07:39 PM. Reason: quote didn't work correctly