CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-25-2010, 10:35 AM   #51
Shane Skowron

Profile:
Re: Vegan Paleo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Newman View Post
I would really like to disagree with the "Diet is critical to performance" part of that.
Quote:
I started eating a raw diet and I'm fine. I'm not losing muscle mass, recovery has been better than on paleo, workouts feel stronger, sleep is better, skin is better, and more energy through out the day.

So your performance improved as a result of your improvement in diet. But diet is not critical to performance? This makes no sense.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:10 AM   #52
Robert Newman

Profile:

Sorry, I should have specified a "healthy diet" rather than any diet.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:16 AM   #53
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

High level performance is not often associated with health, I don't see why the diets would be either.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:03 PM   #54
Robert Newman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
High level performance is not often associated with health, I don't see why the diets would be either.
Exactly. The problem is many people here DO associate the two. You have people saying "you need meat to lift heavy" "you cannot compete without paleo" etc. This is just not true. It's more about sufficient calories than anything. [edit]Performance's link to health is just assumed.

What people forget is that there are people on here that are trying to get in shape and be healthy, not compete in the games.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:11 PM   #55
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

There is a correlation between healthy diet and performance to a point. At high enough levels of performance, the diet and the activity levels dictate changes which negatively affect long term health. Meat is certianly a part of healthy and performance diet, red or otherwise.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:27 PM   #56
Robert Newman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
There is a correlation between healthy diet and performance to a point. At high enough levels of performance, the diet and the activity levels dictate changes which negatively affect long term health. Meat is certianly a part of healthy and performance diet, red or otherwise.
That's not what I am saying though. I was talking about "high performance means the person is healthy" being the assumption many here make, or more commonly, "you cannot perform well unless you eat <this diet>". Of course performing at an elite level while eating garbage will have adverse health effects. You're eating garbage.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:50 PM   #57
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"That's not what I am saying though. I was talking about "high performance means the person is healthy""

I would agree that those two are weakly correlated

"you cannot perform well unless you eat <this diet>".

There are diets that will aid in performance more than others. I think "you will most likely perform better with <diet>" is generally more accurate.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:03 PM   #58
Matthew Reilly

Profile:

Quote:
I would really like to disagree with the "Diet is critical to performance" part of that. We see that all over the boards. Does anyone remember Josh Everett's diet video last year? It was terrible (no offense to the guy, he seems really cool in Every Second Counts and an awesome CFer!), or Michael Phelps, or one of the regional winners on the videos who eats Burger King regularly? There are tons of pro athletes that eat garbage but perform an an elite level.
There are some athletes that will be elite regardless of what they eat. Others must be much more meticulous about their food intake to see positive results. Michael Phelps and Josh Everett are genetic freaks; they cannot be considered the norm.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:09 PM   #59
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Micheal phelps diet supports his sport and goals and he's a genetic freak.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:33 PM   #60
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
That's not what I am saying though. I was talking about "high performance means the person is healthy" being the assumption many here make, or more commonly, "you cannot perform well unless you eat <this diet>". Of course performing at an elite level while eating garbage will have adverse health effects. You're eating garbage.
My original comment was:
"Inadequate diet can and will undermine everything you're working for in the gym."

If you're working your tail off in order to improve your health, but you're eating garbage, your health will suffer. If you're working your tail off in order to be an Olympic swimmer, but not getting adequate calories, you're not going to be able to perform at the top level. The statement is true regardless of your goals.

Now, exactly what an "adequate diet" consists of *will* vary depending on the individual and their goals. But the fact remains that what you eat will play a critical role in your ability to achieve whatever it is that you're trying to achieve. The point of the comment was to remind the OP of that, given that she has chosen a diet in which obtaining adequate protein may be especially difficult.

Katherine