CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-01-2010, 05:03 PM   #111
Troy Becker

Profile:
Re: Vegan Paleo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
A brief explantion for the Dietary Reference Intake of each nutrient can be found via that DRI link but you can read a more detailed explanation in The Macronutrient Report (wfs) which you can read free online.

Re. protein; the DRI for protein is 0.8g/kg/d which is a little low for athletes but a seperate higher DRI for athletes is not given because it is assumed that athletes will eat more food in order to meet any increased demand for energy and so will automatically meet any increased requirement for protein.

BMI works well for the general population, less well for athletes. I thought everyone knew that......

And if everyone else is wrong?
What about the really high carb thing? It recommends 2-3 times as much as I get, and I'm not exactly skimping. That can't be good for anyone.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:30 AM   #112
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Becker View Post
Quote:
A brief explantion for the Dietary Reference Intake of each nutrient can be found via that DRI link but you can read a more detailed explanation in The Macronutrient Report (wfs) which you can read free online.

Re. protein; the DRI for protein is 0.8g/kg/d which is a little low for athletes but a seperate higher DRI for athletes is not given because it is assumed that athletes will eat more food in order to meet any increased demand for energy and so will automatically meet any increased requirement for protein.
What about the really high carb thing? It recommends 2-3 times as much as I get, and I'm not exactly skimping. That can't be good for anyone.
The recommended CHO intake may seem high but it's actually intended to be adequate to provide the energy and nutrients needed for good health.

The simple explanation for how it all breaks down is this; the first 130g of CHO* is to keep your brain and CNS happy and the rest goes towards meeting daily energy requirements. Obviously fats and protein could also be consumed to meet energy requirements so why carbs? Simple, foods that are naturally high in carbohydrates are also some of the best sources of other essential dietary components such as vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, fibre etc.

* Note: it's recommended that complex starchy carbohydrates should form the bulk of the diet and that consumption of simple extrinisic sugars be reduced where possible.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:13 AM   #113
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Obviously fats and protein could also be consumed to meet energy requirements so why carbs? Simple, foods that are naturally high in carbohydrates are also some of the best sources of other essential dietary components such as vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, fibre etc.

* Note: it's recommended that complex starchy carbohydrates should form the bulk of the diet and that consumption of simple extrinisic sugars be reduced where possible.
Best sources of essential dietary components? The only practical way that you are getting to the 500+g/day of carbohydrate that you want us all on is to do it with breads, pasta, rice, etc: foods with poor nutrient profiles. And, depending on who you listen to, they may not just be nutrient poor but may even contain anti-nutrients that prevent optimal absorption of nutrients you DO take it.

Really, your argument only holds true if you stick mostly to the carbohydrate sources that we already advocate around here as part of a paleo type diet: fruits and vegetables, and I'm certainly not going to try to get 500g/day of carbohydrates just from fruits and veggies.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:31 PM   #114
Kevin Burns

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
To show that, you'd first have to show that obese Americans (or any substantial group of Americans) actually follow the Pyramid. For the most part they don't, in either quantity or food choices.

Katherine
Seriously ? Do you even pay attention to what most people commonly eat on a daily basis ? Next time you go into the grocery store find some overweight people and notice what is in their cart. You'll find the above to be true.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:34 PM   #115
Kevin Burns

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Becker View Post
That link is based on the myth that athletes need way more carbohydrates than normal people.

Go to Robb Wolf's site for an interesting post about this:

http://[insert rob wolf's url here]/2010/05/31/paleo-and-ultra-endurance/ - URL
Old 06-02-2010, 12:55 PM   #116
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Burns View Post
Seriously ? Do you even pay attention to what most people commonly eat on a daily basis ? Next time you go into the grocery store find some overweight people and notice what is in their cart. You'll find the above to be true.
In Katherine's defense, nowhere is the Food Pyramid recommending copious amounts of Twinkies, Cheetos, crackers, tortilla chips, Pepsi, froot loops, little debbie snack cakes, cookie dough ice cream, chips ahoy, jello, go-gurt, or any number of the refined garbage that lines the carts of most people in the average grocery store. I don't agree with the Food Pyramid's glorification of grains but it absolutely doesn't recommend consuming the crap that's in these foods, at least in quantity.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:57 PM   #117
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"Seriously ? Do you even pay attention to what most people commonly eat on a daily basis ? Next time you go into the grocery store find some overweight people and notice what is in their cart. You'll find the above to be true."

DO you pay attention to food pyramid? THe cookies, doritos, snack food and other crap I see in peoples carts at the grocery store are not recommended by the food pyramid. In addition, most people go far beyond the recommended serving sizes of the food pyramid.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:58 PM   #118
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan Waldeck View Post
In Katherine's defense, nowhere is the Food Pyramid recommending copious amounts of Twinkies, Cheetos, crackers, tortilla chips, Pepsi, froot loops, little debbie snack cakes, cookie dough ice cream, chips ahoy, jello, go-gurt, or any number of the refined garbage that lines the carts of most people in the average grocery store. I don't agree with the Food Pyramid's glorification of grains but it absolutely doesn't recommend consuming the crap that's in these foods, at least in quantity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
"Seriously ? Do you even pay attention to what most people commonly eat on a daily basis ? Next time you go into the grocery store find some overweight people and notice what is in their cart. You'll find the above to be true."

DO you pay attention to food pyramid? THe cookies, doritos, snack food and other crap I see in peoples carts at the grocery store are not recommended by the food pyramid. In addition, most people go far beyond the recommended serving sizes of the food pyramid.
Great minds, my friend.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:01 PM   #119
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I figured some one else commented, but I didin't feel like reading the whole thing. anytime Darryl posts, he stir up a bunch of link wars and I didn't want to wade through it.

Just like Meghan, I don't think the food pyramid is optimal, but it isn't nearly as bad as people here make it out to be for the average person.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:03 PM   #120
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Burns View Post
I see a lot of candy bars, sugared beverages, and chips, none of which are Pyramid-approved items. The Pyramid recommends fruits, vegetables, and *whole* grains as the primary carbohydrate sources.

Katherine