CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-07-2013, 08:21 AM   #1
Jason Gavino

Profile:
Confused on Fasted Training..

I am extremely confused by the conflicting opinions of Keifer and Berkhan on fasted training in the morning. Berkhan is of the opinion that completely fasted training could be detrimental to strength gain and recommends ingestion of BCAA's pre-workout, while Keifer says that BCAA's will raise insulin and blunt the positive effects (release of GH) of fasted morning training.

Currently I am only doing strength training, no metcons. My goal is to increase strength and lean mass.

Has anyone tried both of these methods and have a preference?
Old 04-07-2013, 08:34 AM   #2
Paulo Santos

Profile:
Re: Confused on Fasted Training..

According to Keifer, If you workout in the morning, you should carb backload in the evening the day before. The only thing I take is a caffeine pill before working out in the morning.

My recommendation would be to listen to whoever's diet you are following. So if you are doing carb backloading, I'd listen to Keifer.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
Cain Deckhard

Profile:

Why does a short-lived spike in GH even matter? Women have greater levels of GH than men and get greater GH responses to training...do they grow better?

Just make sure that whatever convoluted eating permutations you do, do not interfere with training quality, which is going to be the primary determinant of growth along with getting enough food.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Strength training with depleted liver glycogen stores and low blood sugar levels following your overnight fast is a good way to get hurt. Get up half an hour earlier and have a proper breakfast; you'll feel, and more importantly perform better for it.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #5
Sara Ochsner

Profile:

Not familiar with either of those. The only work I do fasted is low intensity such as walking or riding a bike for 30-60 minutes. I've tried not eating before higher intensity or strength work and I prefer having a belly full of fuel. Experimentation is the only way I found what works best for me.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:12 AM   #6
Lance Neumeyer

Profile:

I started working out again in Sep after years of not doing anything. I usually work out as soon as I drop the kids off at school, and initially I was taking a protein shake w/non-fat milk as soon as I woke up, immediately after working out, and right before going to bed. I saw some very good strength gains, and my body weight essentially stayed the same.

In Feb of this year, I wasn't losing fat as much anymore, and I wanted to lose those pounds to improve my performance on met-cons. Then I tried not taking any protein shakes, and within 1 week I dropped 5 lbs but I could also tell I was losing a noticeable amount of strength. Not what I wanted.

For the past 3 weeks, I've been taking a one protein shake a day as soon as I wake up, mixed with my coffee. I work-out about an hour after I wake up. Strength has returned, and I can tell I'm losing body fat. This seems to be what works best for me right now.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:38 AM   #7
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

i would think the type and intensity of the training would also make a difference.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:50 AM   #8
Chris Mason

Profile:

Cain hit on it. GH means very little to strength training, and in any event, insulin is a heck of a lot more anabolic than GH. In the end I think there is zero benefit to fasted training no matter what your goal. You can certainly do it, and nor do I think it is terribly detrimental assuming your overall caloric intake is sufficient, but I certainly don't feel it is optimal.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #9
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Fasted "training" for say. 20-30 min walk sounds ok

Going in fasted for 8-20 mins of hard work sounds bad...

I used to eat a thing of Greek yogurt before working out.

Now it's some bcaa and maybe some nuts. Beyond that I don't go very heavy but that's after tweaking my food at 445am before a 530am workout
Old 04-13-2013, 04:50 AM   #10
Jason Gavino

Profile:

Thanks for the replies everyone. I don't like eating in the morning and I don't like to eat before lifting so I think I will just stick with the BCAA's. Been doing it lately and I feel good in the gym and have no issues getting enough calories in the rest of the day.