CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-25-2010, 04:05 PM   #1
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:
Vegan Diet

Ok, CrossFit nation, I have a question:

My parents have just started a strict vegan diet. The motivation is my father is a type II diabetic. A doctor has recently published a book saying that a strict vegan diet can actually reverse diabetes.
This has me scratching my head, since a vegan diet runs counter to the principles of the Zone or Paleo diets that most people on this site follow. This is more than an academic question for me, since I am sure type II diabetes has a genetic predisposition, and I certainly don't want to get it.

Does anyone out there have some objective information on this issue they would like to share?
Old 04-25-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
Elizabeth Hall

Profile:
Re: Vegan Diet

I'm not a medical professional, but from my personal experience, my A1C was dropped since going Paleo. I was told I was pre-diabetic, not anymore
Old 04-25-2010, 05:16 PM   #3
Casey Crooks

Profile:

Reversing Type 2 Diabetes = lowering your A1C, more or less. This can be accomplished more easily by adhering even modestly to a Paleoish diet than by following a strict vegan diet, IMO. This also really depends what kind of vegan diet your parents are eating. Are they eating grains? Refined sugars?
Old 04-25-2010, 05:27 PM   #4
Charles Staley

Profile:

In this case the cure may be worse than the disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin R. Greene View Post
Ok, CrossFit nation, I have a question:

My parents have just started a strict vegan diet. The motivation is my father is a type II diabetic. A doctor has recently published a book saying that a strict vegan diet can actually reverse diabetes.
This has me scratching my head, since a vegan diet runs counter to the principles of the Zone or Paleo diets that most people on this site follow. This is more than an academic question for me, since I am sure type II diabetes has a genetic predisposition, and I certainly don't want to get it.

Does anyone out there have some objective information on this issue they would like to share?
Old 04-25-2010, 05:28 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Type I diabetes MAY have genetic disposition, but may be due to auto-immune issues.

Type II is generally poor diet (aka too much processed carbohydrates).

Type II can be reversed by going low carb, but ONLY if the damage hasn't gone too far.

Some people's type I can be reversed by in SOME cases Paleo (such as if it's auto-immune stemming from gluten).

Basically, going Paleo with veggies and fruit sparingly or not at all would likely help both of them.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:34 PM   #6
Kris Murphy

Profile:

Type 2 diabetes is caused by hyperinsulinemia, which is a constantly elevated level of circulating insulin leading to insulin resistance. As insulin resistance increases the body needs to release more and more insulin to deal with blood sugar, eventually getting to a point where the pancreas can't keep up and some kind of assistance is required, usually by taking metformin or exogenous insulin. So...to paraphrase, what leads a person to Type 2 Diabetes is excess blood sugar...which is caused by carbs. So to think that a high carbohydrate diet is the solution for Type 2 Diabetes is absurd.

The medical community is off its rocker when it comes to prescribing diets for diabetics. What he needs is to cut carbs and eat more fat and protein.

I've seen Type 1 diabetics (who can't produce their own insulin) cut their injections down 70% by going paleo. And it's very possible for Type 2 Diabetics to get off their metformin or drastically reduce insulin use by eating paelo with a very low carb intake.

Let me just finish by saying that sometimes (a LOT of the time actually) doctors **** ME OFF with their unwillingness to do their own research on basic things like this, and instead just regurgitate some bull****e that they learned from another doctor or even worse, the pharmaceutical companies.

Last edited by Kris Murphy : 04-25-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:11 PM   #7
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

Very interesting. The type of diet they are on would appear to be almost entirely carbohydrates, since meat, dairy, and eggs are prohibited and fat intake is virtually nil. One would think that would make type II diabetes worse. They are eating beans, rice, whole grain bread, and lots of fuits and vegetables. They would get plenty of vitamins and minerals, but almost all of it is carbs.
It's hard to believe some doctor is promoting this diet as a cure for diabetes.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:18 PM   #8
Nic Kirkland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin R. Greene View Post
They are eating beans, rice, whole grain bread, and lots of fuits and vegetables. They would get plenty of vitamins and minerals, but almost all of it is carbs.
And this is what his doctor thinks is going to solve hyperinsulemia/lower his blood sugar? I hate questioning medical professionals, but it sounds like the doctor is overstepping his domain knowledge and giving out poor dietary advice here.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:48 PM   #9
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

Actually, it wasn't even recommended by a personal physician. It was a book they read, "Dr. Neil Bernard's Program for Reversing Diabetes", for anyone who would like to check it out. Seems certainly counter-intuitive to me.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:07 PM   #10
Ian Nigh

Profile:

Check out Robb Wolf's blog, he has tons of info on this.
long story short: paleo is your best bet and stay away from the grains!