CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-05-2010, 07:10 AM   #1
David Ballard

Profile:
Question I eat ALL day - is my logic sound

Ok, you always here eat many small meals/ day to keep your metabolism up. I'm not in school or working now, I'm studying for a standardized test and, when I'm not working out or eating a more formal meal with family or friends, I eat (suck) on protein snacks ALL day. The purpose of this thread is to receive critizism or affirmation of my logic, not to promote it or say that I have a great theory

WHY: Before I say what I eat, my logic is that, I believe, by doing this it is less likely that I will store up fat. If my meal has 400-700 calories, I believe, that spreading it out over, say, 2 hours, is better than eating it within 20 minutes. Notice, I'm frequently saying "I believe" because I'm very open to critizism.

WHAT and HOW: The staples: Natural Peanut Butter, White and Wheat Bread, Almonds, Cottage Cheese proein mix (Cottage Cheese/Nat PB/Oatmeal/ Protein Powder mix, I'll post recipe if desired) and Homemade protein bar mix (Nat PB, Honey, Oatmeal, protein powder). How, I put the cottage cheese mix and Nat PB on some bread, I take a small bite and store it in a pouch of my mouth like a tobacoo dip (I don't dip and neither should you!). Then, all day and sometimes for like 4 hours straight I take miniscule bites of protein bars and just suck out the flavor. As my little pouch of food runs thin, I take a bite of the sandwich or a few almonds to build it back up. Now I consume it SLOW and long, the cottage cheese mix and protein sandwhich literally takes me up two hours to finish one-quater of a sandwich, not a whole not a half, but a quater. I seldom eat over two pieces of bread a day, if I feel like I'm eating bread too much I'll add to my pouch with almonds instead.

SELF-CRITIZISM and RESULTS: I say I'm in a continuous state of eating but I do try to swallow my food every 1 and 1/2 or 2 hours and brush my teeth and mouthwash, hopefully my teeth won't rot out. I know it sounds high simple carb and high sugar and it may be and it definitely is by most standards but my results (coming from an almost NEVER eat simple sugar diet, even fruits) have been favorable so far, I've cut fat, and gained muscle and strength. There are artificial sweetners in the protein powders like stevia and Spelnda as well as some lactose and fructose, but I use the powders that have a 20 g protein to 2 gram sugar ratio. My simple carbs from my staples come from cottage cheese, bread, sweetners/sugars in protein powder, the oatmeal in the Cottage and bar mixes and honey in the protein bars. I do generally eat a couple of normal meals a day as well, with low glycemic fruits and vegetables. I feel energized throughout the day and sometimes, even a little light headed, like I'm not getting enough calories, in which case I swallow more food. I do eat regular meals, generally very healthy, vegetables, meats and nuts with no or very little sugar and/or salt and generally small portions. I feel like I do get enough variety in my diet as far as fruit and vegetable and, maybe I might not enough meat daily, but I certainly get more than enough proteins and fats.

WHAT I ASK OF MY FELLOW BOARDERS: Critiques, evaluation if my logic is correct, suggestions for improvement. I know probably 3/4 of people will probably say, switch to paleo and don't eat any simple carbs and that's fine and I probably will try a strict paleo diet one, but I've eaten very healthy for nearly 10 years, bulked up when needed in high school and college football - had to eat ALOT and alot of junk unfortunately to keep a bodyweight of around 300. After I was finished with football I dropped from 300 lbs to 185 (overdid it and with health consequences). That was recent, I'm up to about 200 and still need to gain weight for my frame probably but I've enjoyed seeing the fat come off both with the dramtic weight loss and the 185 to 200 gain. Anyways, evluate and critize away.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:49 AM   #2
Meghan Reid

Profile:
Re: I eat ALL day - is my logic sound

How has your performance been? (Lifts/strength and metabolic conditioning workouts like Cindy, Mary, Fran, etc).

I mean, wow. This seems like the most high maintenance meal plan you could possibly come up with. You already know what most of us are going to say regarding the sugars/refined carbohydrates but if it's not affecting your performance or body composition negatively then...carry on. Just be aware of things like "silent inflammation" that, while you don't notice it outwardly or immediately after consumption, could be affecting you at the cellular level.

Also, please don't take this the wrong way, but I do come from a background of f***ked up disordered eating habits and I used to do things like "suck the flavor out" of certain foods and spit the bulk in order to keep myself from consuming the calories. I guess that's a lot of info to share publicly and maybe someone could comment in a more medical way as to why this is unhealthy but mentally and psychologically, I think you are setting yourself up for a crash and burn sooner rather than later. Just my two cents, and I hope you don't take it the wrong way.

In regards to the idea that constant feeding is necessary to keep up the metabolic process, you may want to check out this link from Mark's Daily Apple (WFS) http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fasting-activity/ for an interesting perspective. It might make your day to day life a little easier.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:02 AM   #3
David Ballard

Profile:

My times, performance, how I feel, muscle gaining, and fat reduction have all been great. Believe me, during my too rapid weight loss, I had some habits that were bad and my mentality now is to gain weight. I suck the flavor mostly because it is enjoyable to my taste buds. Thanks for the advice and the link, I've tried fasting techniques and they do not work out well for me, I cannot concentrate on anything but eating, I have bad workouts and my circulation becomes poor.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:02 AM   #4
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ballard View Post
WHY: Before I say what I eat, my logic is that, I believe, by doing this it is less likely that I will store up fat. If my meal has 400-700 calories, I believe, that spreading it out over, say, 2 hours, is better than eating it within 20 minutes. Notice, I'm frequently saying "I believe" because I'm very open to critizism.
It makes no difference. They only think that is important is energy balance. You may however burn a few more calories by chewing more. As for th rest of your diet I wouldn't eat it but if it works for you keep it up.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:12 AM   #5
Meghan Reid

Profile:

What I meant was: can you post some samples of your lifts, times and body comp info (weight/height etc) and eventual goals. My point was that...if this diet/eating style is merely "working for you" it might be of use to try some different things to perhaps find something that could give you huge gains, rather than just merely surviving. Plus, it's worth noting that at one point your goal was to lose weight and now it's to gain mass (I think), so your diet should be altered accordingly.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:17 PM   #6
Ahmed Serag

Profile:

This is going to be really hard on your digestive organic and gastrointestinal system... Your body isn't good at secreting digestive enzymes all day long, and regardless of how many calories are spread over the day, it still has to break the food down EVERY TIME you eat...

Really depends on your goals and whether you value a more ripped body over organ health and eventually getting that body... Might up-regulate leptin, but you're also increasing insulin... Ugh I don't even want to get into the hormonal mess with that haha

Im not going to say switch to Paleo because I believe different eating patterns work for different people... but regardless of high carb low fat high fat low carb, eating every 2 hours doesn't sound like a good idea.

Last edited by Ahmed Serag : 04-07-2010 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:08 AM   #7
Greg Privitera

Profile:

No, your logic isn't sound.

Yes, your digestive system should have some kind of break.

Your mouth needs time to clean up too.

Concerning protein synthesis, Protein intake is just as much about peaks and troughs of blood amino acid levels.

I could go on, but basically, eat 3-4 meals a day. If you really want you could spike some BCAAs directly between meals, but that'd probably only be effective if your meals were really quick to digest. Otherwise you'd still have a steady AA release from the gut as your meal was digested.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:55 AM   #8
Ahmed Serag

Profile:

No idea why I put organic after digestive... just in the zone haha
Old 04-08-2010, 11:00 AM   #9
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I see no meat in that diet
Old 04-08-2010, 11:37 AM   #10
Benjamin Wheeler