CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-28-2010, 05:12 AM   #61
Matthew Swartz

Profile:
Re: Programming for the 2011 Games

I read this instead of the CFJ.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fitness-entrepreneur-arnold.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	6669  
Old 07-28-2010, 05:25 AM   #62
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coughlin View Post
Put me down for the CFJ scholarship fund, as well guys

$$$ is serious business for everyone, rich or poor. Being a student, it is going to be quite an ordeal for you to undergo 1-3 weekend trips for sectionals/regionals/maybe even another level of qualifier. Many of these events have checkin early Fri AM, which would mean missing out on classes/tests for that day. ANyways, here's what I spent at the 2009 Regionals, just about a 2hr drive (and I crashed at my aunts place), and I would consider this the low end of what someone would spend for a CF event weekend.

(Does not include $$$ spent in board shorts, kinesio tape, VFFs, tribal tats, and whatever else the kids these days are buying-j/k)
Entry fees: $100
Gas: $50ish
Lodging: Free, but I bought the family some nice ribeyes to grill one night
Food: $50 at publix
Post-Event libations: No comment

I'm not telling you what you should do about the CFJ subscription, but these events are a serious undertaking. Best of luck.
^^^THIS^^^

I did 4 competitions this year, including Sectionals and Regionals. It adds up, even when you carpool and share hotel rooms. So, I would start planning ahead for those expenses.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:00 AM   #63
Patrik Tomasson

Profile:

Jacob

Ignore the insensitive morons on here. The CFJ has the odd interesting article, but anything training related, certainly for potential games competitors will be debated on here for free. You certainly dont need to spend that money. Just train like a madman, eat right, rest properly and who knows what could happen.

If you do want a subscrption PM me and I will buy you one.

The money thing re competing is a factor though. You will probably do better with some coaching at an affiliate etc. Unless you are very naturally gifted. And the travel.

Patrik
Old 07-28-2010, 06:49 AM   #64
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Schmitt View Post
The awesome thing is that the sectional that I will go to will be like a twenty minute drive from my parents house if they are at the same place as they were last year, meaning free lodging and free food! Haha. But, it's the gas and the entry fee that will crush my funds.
A 20 minute drive crushes your funds? Even if it's 6 trips (3 days, there and back), I don't understand how it could be that much.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:02 AM   #65
Jakob Schmidt

Profile:

To Patrick, thanks a lot for the offer. I appreciate the kindness but, I can't take your money. Haha. Sorry, man. I haven't had formal coaching but, my lifts are looking good and my metcon times are pretty strong. I've been doing my own programming and it has been working, as seen through strength gains and metcon time reduction. I would like to go to an affliate to get some more intensive coaching though. And yeah, I'm putting a lot money to the travel aspect of the competitions.

To Shane, I go to college that's two hours away from my parents. But, the competitions were held twenty minutes away from them this year. So, the two hour drive will add up for me, hence why I need the funds for the drive. I'm also working an unpaid internship for a law enforcement agency and taking the subway is breaking the bank too. Haha.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:53 AM   #66
Matth Challoner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Swartz View Post
I read this instead of the CFJ.
Is that real?
Old 07-29-2010, 05:28 AM   #67
Matthew Swartz

Profile: