CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-27-2010, 08:49 AM   #41
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Re: Programming for the 2011 Games

got in before they closed the thread!
Old 07-27-2010, 08:49 AM   #42
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

@Frederic

I can't find where anyone mentioned anything about the CFJ being incorrect or misleading. You could have saved yourself a whole lot of weird syntax, commas and unnecessary spaces by actually reading what Jacob was complainging about - being poor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Steeves View Post
After serious thought and deliberation, I've come to the conclusion that Rich Fronning did NOT have a CFJ subscription, and that is why he failed the rope climb and lost the #1 position. Had he been a proud member of the elite club of people who owned a CFJ subscription (like Graham) he would have won the games.

Take notice people, if you do not own a subscription to the CFJ you are not a serious competitor for the games, and an overall disgrace to Crossfit in general.
Please god tell me you are kidding. Like Graham was climbing those ropes thinking, "WWCFJD?"
Old 07-27-2010, 08:51 AM   #43
Jakob Schmidt

Profile:

Frederic,

I think you definitely didn't understand anything about what I was saying. I never said anything remotely close to calling the Crossfit Journal cultish, nor did I say anything about it being worthless. And how did I come off as I was being superior to the rest of you? No way did I say that I was better than you or anyone else on this board. The reason why I didn't buy the journal is because I don't have the $25 to fork out to CFJ. I know the information is probably prime. So the fact that I don't have $25 to spend definitely does make me superior to you all.

And clarification on strength bias, I said Crossfit Strength Bias-like, I never said it WAS Crossfit Strength-Bias. I have been able to read up of CFSB too, some of the articles that I read were from CFJ.

Example: http://journal.crossfit.com/2009/02/...ength-bias.tpl (And yes, I did read the real pdf form of it)

So, I don't know how you took my first post as superior or better than anyone else? I said that I didn't want to buy the CFJ and then all the sudden I was superior and an idiot because of it. Sorry, I guess, I'm not Crossfit worthy as compared to your standards.

Also, on my use of the term "cardio metcon," just because I didn't use the correct terminology to label metcon. I meant metcon with a lot more focus on monostructural cardio (check them term, http://journal.crossfit.com/2003/02/...-for-cross.tpl <- real early stuff from the journal, Glassman wrote it in 2003) So, I understand all the terms related to crossfit but don't necessarily use them or say them correctly all the time, like I'm sure you do with English and so do I.

So, don't think I'm some noob coming in here, trashing upon crossfit, not supporting or whatever else may be thought. I came in here looking for advice and to talk about programming ideas, not to get a bunch of guys crapping on me for not buying a Journal that Crossfit puts out.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:56 AM   #44
Jakob Schmidt

Profile:

Accidently posted twice. Haha.

Last edited by Jakob Schmidt : 07-27-2010 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Accidently posted twice.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:08 AM   #45
Ewen Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Swartz View Post
what Jacob was complainging about - being poor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Schmitt View Post
The reason why I didn't buy the journal is because I don't have the $25 to fork out to CFJ. ...I don't have $25 to spend...
I'm not one to say that every CF competitor or practitioner should or needs to subscribe to the CFJ, but as prospective CF Games competitors (which involves travelling to regionals, sectionals and maybe California, to say nothing of basic gym membership/equipment expenses), you should really ditch the "poverty" angle.

You may prefer to spend those 25 bucks elsewhere, but you'll be spending them somewhere along the way. You HAVE $25 to spend. It's a CHOICE you're making not to spend it on the CFJ. More power to you. No need for feeble justifications.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:12 AM   #46
Jakob Schmidt

Profile:

Ewen,

Good point, I'll spend the twenty five bucks for a plane ticket or gas money.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:21 AM   #47
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Can we all pitch in and help Jacob buy a CF Journal subscription?
Old 07-27-2010, 09:23 AM   #48
Jakob Schmidt

Profile:

Is that sarcasm?
Old 07-27-2010, 09:28 AM   #49
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

I actually plan on running to the games from VA when I'm ready. I refuse to spend $25 on anything - not even food along the way. I will eat roadkill and children who wander off from their parents. I actually live in the woods and made a computer out of bark in order to argue with Canadians on the internet.

That's what a real crossfit mentality looks like.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:34 AM   #50
Karl Steeves

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Swartz View Post
@Frederic

I can't find where anyone mentioned anything about the CFJ being incorrect or misleading. You could have saved yourself a whole lot of weird syntax, commas and unnecessary spaces by actually reading what Jacob was complainging about - being poor.

Please god tell me you are kidding. Like Graham was climbing those ropes thinking, "WWCFJD?"
Blatant sarcasm.

I'm going to stick up for Jacob here and let you all in on a little secret: some of us Crossfitters are not filthy rich, and a $25 dollar purchase actually means something to us. To me, I could spend $25 on 3 jars of all natural unsalted almonds and the fat, vitamins, protein and calories I get from those almonds over the course of two months would benefit me a lot more than a subscription to the CFJ would. If I had the spare money I could look at the cost benefit of the CFJ, but monthly PDF files talking about Crossfit is not more valuable to me than food and gas.

Some of you were insulting him because he didn't fork over the money for the Journal, and then claimed he wasn't a true supporter of Crossfit because he didn't subscribe to it. You are the types of people who embarrass us and keep the Couch thread going. He doesn't subscribe, get over it. If it angers you that much buy him the damn subscription and go back to making fun of people who do heavy barbell curls.