CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-26-2010, 06:31 AM   #31
Jakob Schmidt

Profile:
Re: Programming for the 2011 Games

Thanks, Mark. I appreciate that. I was more directing my comments to Brian by saying that I don't "support" Crossfit.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:02 AM   #32
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
I find hilarity in your lack of support for CF (this site is free also you know, except for the CFJ) and also in your lack of vision for not being able to see the forest for the trees. You can't make the "sacrifice" to purchase the CFJ but you want to compete in the games? Don't you think there MIGHT be 25 dollars worth of insight into how to compete in and prepare for the games in the CFJ videos and articles; like maybe all the content with interviews of the competitors and videos of the actual events? OMG
There's also that "gem" about changing your snatch form to lower your metcon times. Designed with Games competitors in mind.
http://journal.crossfit.com/2010/06/...s.tpl#comments wfs
Old 07-26-2010, 08:47 AM   #33
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Jacob,

Shoot me your e-mail: aush@crossfitsandiego.com
Old 07-27-2010, 06:16 AM   #34
Frederic Giraud

Profile:

Jacob,

Please delete your account.

Thank you.

On a more serious note,

The attitude and spirit you show in your first post is such light years away from the whole crossfit mentality that it's sad, but not surprising, to see somone new like you have it. It's no surprise the old skoolers and worthy of learning from don't post much anymore on this forum, the mass has taken over, and as we can see in this thread made it so the majority keeps silence and let things go on.

It just saddens me to see the quality of information we used to get on this forum lowered to such standards... Nowadays , it's cool to make fun of the CFJ, of science and any non-conventional fitness related idea.... oh well....

/rant
Old 07-27-2010, 06:37 AM   #35
Jakob Schmidt

Profile:

Why would I delete my account and how have I shown anything but support for Crossfit? Just because I'm not some self-proclaimed expert like Bedell and you. The only reason I would delete my account is so that I would never have to hear a bunch of people say that there is something wrong with Crossfit now a days when they are the very people destroying it. Read anything that Rippetoe says about Crossfit now, how it is gaining greater and greater following and gaining more and more fools who think they know what they are talking about but have no idea. (And please, anyone who isn't doing this stuff, you know who you are, and keep crossfitting) But, don't insult me because I am not willing to buy a journal put out by Crossfit. I have done my studying with my limited resources and am probably doing a stronger job at training (whether it be form, programming or whatever) than the average crossfitter. So, don't disrespect me over the internet because you have no idea what I do to support crossfit or the type of training that I take part in. So, keep going if you want, I could care less. (Oh and to the others in this thread who have been constructive and helpful, thanks a bunch)
Old 07-27-2010, 06:47 AM   #36
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

I gave 20 bucks to the crossfit insurance thing, but I refuse to buy the CFJ. Does that make me unsupportive? (Mother of god, I can't even remember the name of the insurance! How unsupportive is that?)

I think it is a mute point to accuse people of committing crossfit heresy when the system is so big now that the only way it would crumble is if its creator keeps showing up to seminars wasted - and probably not even then. Crossfit has never supported good form (as evidence of the snatch event at 2009 games), only full ROM. Quality of information is a non-issue when it comes to working out, especially when only a handfull of competitors can properly perform their lifts (outside of full ROM).

Crossfit started as a system that didn't need the support of the masses, still doesn't, and will continue to not.

P.S. Do you have a poser of Dominic Filiou, Frederic?

Last edited by Matthew Swartz : 07-27-2010 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Spelt stuff wrong.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:49 AM   #37
Jakob Schmidt

Profile:

Also, Frederic, enlighten me on how I am light years away the Crossfit mentality?
Old 07-27-2010, 08:17 AM   #38
Frederic Giraud

Profile:

Hey Jacob no where did I insulted you I simply shared with you what I was thinking about your first post. No need to get psyched up

Calling me a self proclaimed fitness expert tho was really rude ..... not. I can take it...it`s the internet , it has to be expected....

Look, Rippetoe , I have met him, trained under his guidance, shared a beer and whatnot, the fact that I`m kind of defending the ''old school'' crossfit ( which Rippetoe was part of am i rite ? :P ) doesnt mean That I think crossfit is the be all end all of fitness.

You talk of the journal as if it was kind of a cultish text that we all read and all agree upon upfront without ever deviating from what it says...or, god forbid, actually debate some of the idea and question them.

Just yesterday there was an article written by Bob Takano ,I guess his advice aren't practical ( yes in your context it won't help as it is more related to how to coach , but it's simply an example ) ,he only coached couple of national champions, guess he has been so much endoctrinated by the HQ staff that his info aren`t worthy anymore... I mean it's the CROSSFIT journall that publish it, you MUST disregard it ...

I more than encourage you to follow crossfit methodologies and guidelines ( which you seem to need to learn a bit more of, thus the CFJ sugestion , I mean you said "cardio metcon" in your first post...cardio? metcon? metabolic conditionning non-cardiovasculary demanding? .... ) . And for your best some of us would suggest to actually learn ( and discard ) valuable information from the CFJ.

But no. You are better. You come in here. Know more. Know better. Thus can discard the information within the CFJ without even evaluating how good ( or bad) it is...

It's that whole superior-filled-with-ego-attitude that made me start to rant.

First thing you should have learned from crossfit was to leave your ego at the door and do your homework.... but hey I guess I'm once again insulting you simply by stating my opinion...sorry in advance

On the same way you say that you are doing kind of a CF Strentgh Bias programing...don't you think it would be valuable to share with people who have been through it? Who have extended experience with such a protocol? instead of wanting to re-invente the wheel and discard anything that is published by the crossfit journal not because it is actually bad information but simply because it is labeled as crossfit ?

I could go on and on and on with what's wrong with the attitude you showed.

@ Mathew:

I don't think it's a question of supporting or not, but more or discarding valuable information simply because it is labeled as being published by crossfit and thus making it a fad or whatever the new reason is.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:33 AM   #39
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Let it go, y'all. Really. This thread has totally derailed from its original intent.

- Mark
Old 07-27-2010, 08:41 AM   #40
Karl Steeves

Profile:

After serious thought and deliberation, I've come to the conclusion that Rich Fronning did NOT have a CFJ subscription, and that is why he failed the rope climb and lost the #1 position. Had he been a proud member of the elite club of people who owned a CFJ subscription (like Graham) he would have won the games.

Take notice people, if you do not own a subscription to the CFJ you are not a serious competitor for the games, and an overall disgrace to Crossfit in general.