CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-23-2010, 06:07 AM   #21
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Programming for the 2011 Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Schmitt View Post
What are the prices on the other ones?
You can follow OPT's programming (WFS) for free, though he does sell a few DVDs where he discusses his programming logic, his take on nutrition, stuff like that.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:08 AM   #22
Jason Ashman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Payne View Post
I think a better investment might be Catalyst Athletics Monthly Journal...still costs but I like it much better for technical advise on lifts and nutrition and programming. This is Greg Everett's site.
That's the Performance Menu.

MILO is NOT cheap- I believe it runs $40 (e-version) or $90 (paper) for four quarterly issues. Each issues runs more than 100 pages.

It's sold through Ironmind (WFS link).
Old 07-23-2010, 11:11 AM   #23
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Quote:
Glad you find hilarity in my lack of money.
I find hilarity in your lack of support for CF (this site is free also you know, except for the CFJ) and also in your lack of vision for not being able to see the forest for the trees. You can't make the "sacrifice" to purchase the CFJ but you want to compete in the games? Don't you think there MIGHT be 25 dollars worth of insight into how to compete in and prepare for the games in the CFJ videos and articles; like maybe all the content with interviews of the competitors and videos of the actual events? OMG
Old 07-23-2010, 02:43 PM   #24
Justin Z. Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Ashman View Post
1) The Journal is still the best value on the net when it comes to the amount of quality stuff you get for the price, even if you do occasionally have to weed out the propaganda and the filler.
Are you saying http://journal.crossfit.com/2010/04/glassman-sgw.tpl (safe for work, home, etc.) wasn't useful?

Justin
Old 07-24-2010, 07:01 AM   #25
CJ Kim

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Z. Smith View Post
Are you saying http://journal.crossfit.com/2010/04/glassman-sgw.tpl (safe for work, home, etc.) wasn't useful?

Justin
Haha, nice reminder. I think nearly everyone did a collective WTF?!? when that one showed up.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:26 PM   #26
Nicolas Kizzee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Z. Smith View Post

Justin
Even though its supposed to be a fitness journal.. it does helps having the other side of the argument (which is actually the correct one)
Old 07-26-2010, 06:04 AM   #27
Jakob Schmidt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
I find hilarity in your lack of support for CF (this site is free also you know, except for the CFJ) and also in your lack of vision for not being able to see the forest for the trees. You can't make the "sacrifice" to purchase the CFJ but you want to compete in the games? Don't you think there MIGHT be 25 dollars worth of insight into how to compete in and prepare for the games in the CFJ videos and articles; like maybe all the content with interviews of the competitors and videos of the actual events? OMG
How does that show my lack of support for Crossfit? Just because I'm not willing to spend money on a journal that they put out? I would say that I'm just as "supportive" if not more than most through my actions of spreading the ideas and concepts that Crossfit offers the fitness community (not trying to sound like self-proclaimed crossfit expert like I have seen in this thread). And I have no doubt that the journal has a lot to offer, but I don't have the money to spend on anything other than school books (yes, probably against your idea that Crossfit and exercise is more important than an education).

So, I apologize to you Mr. Wallace, Chris Mason, and Mr. Bedell for being some sort of Crossfit Infidel because I'm not spending as Mark put it "0.07 cents" a day on the Crossfit Journal. "OMG"

Last edited by Jakob Schmidt : 07-26-2010 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-26-2010, 06:13 AM   #28
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

Click image for larger version

Name:	lol-he-mad.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	6656

Reading > Actually doing "it"?
Old 07-26-2010, 06:13 AM   #29
Jakob Schmidt

Profile:

Also, to Eric, thanks for the information. I've been looking at the site, looks like really good training stuff. I'll definitely need to throw in a wod or two every week from there. Thanks for the helpful info.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:29 AM   #30
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
So, I apologize to you Mr. Wallace, Chris Mason, and Mr. Bedell for being some sort of Crossfit Infidel because I'm not spending as Mark put it "0.07 cents" a day on the Crossfit Journal. "OMG"
Eh, do what you want/need. But:

1) Sneer at it all you want, but you can't escape the math. $25 spread out over a year is <$0.07.

2) A one-time $25 CFJ expense for a potential Games competitor should be a no-brainer. If you're serious about the Games, you should be serious about finding the funds to pay for it and for its related expenses.

3) I can pretty much guarantee you that, between now and the 2011 Games, you'll blow a total of $25 that would have been better spent on the CFJ.

But good luck....and (seriously) kudos for continuing your education.

- Mark