CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-28-2010, 06:18 PM   #1
Chris Mason

Profile:
I was just rereading an interview I did with bodybuilding icon Ellington Darden, PhD

I came across this portion of the interview which described what would be a great CrossFit WOD. See if you agree.

You can read the entire interview here (WFS): http://www.atlargenutrition.com/elli..._interview.php

AtLarge: You spend a couple of chapters describing and promoting metabolic conditioning for football. I particularly like your thoughts on the topic and would like you to briefly describe it here.

Ellington Darden: Metabolic conditioning is what happens when you combine muscular strength and cardiorespiratory endurance into a single workout. It’s like pre-exhaustion, not for 2 minutes, but for 12 minutes. The key is being able to move from one exercise to the next with little rest in between. Here’s a starter routine that we used to get football players’ attention. It involves sprinting for the lower body, alternated with chins and dips for the upper body.

First, you need a place to sprint at least 50 yards. Second, you need a horizontal bar for chins and parallel bars for dips. We had a Nautilus Multi-Exercise machine with which you could do chins and dips, and we moved it into a large parking lot. Fifty yards away, we placed a cone on the ground.

The goal was to sprint down and back (100 yards) 12 times. Each sprint took 20 seconds or less. After the first sprint, the athlete went immediately into chinups: as many as he could do, in good form, for 40 seconds.

Then, he sprinted again, down and back, in 20 seconds or less. He immediately did dips, as many as possible in 40 seconds.

Note: If an athlete couldn’t do normal chinups and dips for the required 40 seconds, he continued doing them in a negative-only manner. In other words, he used a bench or chair to climb into the top position where he then lowered himself slowly by using only his arms.

So that was the cycle: 20 seconds of sprinting followed by 40 seconds of chinning; then 20 seconds of sprinting followed by 40 seconds of dipping. Two minutes of activity that would quickly raise your heat rate to 180-200 beats per minute!

And the goal was to repeat that two-minute cycle six times, for a total of 12 minutes.

Simple, right – WRONG!

Even our best-conditioned athletes could not finish . . . the first time they tried it. Most of them would make it through five or six minutes. A few could achieve nine or ten.

But after three or four sessions, most of them could continue for the entire 12 minutes.

I’ll tell you, the athletes that accomplished this goal, all progressed into their football training in the best-possible condition. It was amazing.

The above metabolic-conditioning cycle, with a little creativity, is something that could be adapted to an entire football team. When that happens, look out.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:
Re: I was just rereading an interview I did with bodybuilding icon Ellington Darden,

That workout looks like a ball-buster.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:07 PM   #3
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: I was just rereading an interview I did with bodybuilding icon Ellington Darden,

Yeah, and I totally smacks of a CrossFit creation. Darden really was/is a forward thinker in the iron game. I always loved the guy.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:13 PM   #4
Andrew D White

Profile:

That's the first I have ever read or heard of him. I'm glad you linked to this article.
He's a fascinating guy and his mention of Wilbur Miller was pretty amazing stuff.

Nice work on the interview.

I find the section that you posted here to be very intriguing. That's a lot like the workouts we used to do in Rugby practice.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:17 PM   #5
Chris Mason

Profile:

Thanks!

I have read just about all of Darden's books. He was an early, and very influential person relative to my personal training.

He was heavily involved with Arthur Jones and thus Nautilus. Jones was an amazing individual/character in the iron game.

That interview was published in Iron Man Magazine a few years back.