CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-07-2010, 12:59 PM   #1
Ferris Ellis

Profile:
Looking for where to begin.

Hello everyone,
I am a 6ft 156lb highschool student who has been doing crossfit for about 3 weeks. I am looking for a good, practical diet to promote fitness and help put some muscle on my bones.
I am lost. And I honestly mean that. I have read about paleo and zone and everything in between. I am just looking for where to start, a plan, and one that works (since there are 100's out there). I don't have any concerns about allergies and such as long as I am not drinking a gallon of milk a day (large amounts of milk do not help with acne).
If someone could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.

Thanks everyone.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:14 PM   #2
Adam Rosner

Profile:
Re: Looking for where to begin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferris Ellis View Post
Hello everyone,
I am a 6ft 156lb highschool student who has been doing crossfit for about 3 weeks. I am looking for a good, practical diet to promote fitness and help put some muscle on my bones.
I am lost. And I honestly mean that. I have read about paleo and zone and everything in between. I am just looking for where to start, a plan, and one that works (since there are 100's out there). I don't have any concerns about allergies and such as long as I am not drinking a gallon of milk a day (large amounts of milk do not help with acne).

Thanks everyone.
Well you've read about the Zone and Paleo? Did you not like them or what? I'm confused as to why you don't just start eating paleo foods. There is no real quesiton here.
At your height and weight ratio I wouldn't even worry about anything Zone related: you need to eat a lot of food, period, and it may as well be good food (paleo). My advice to you is would be to eat 1g protein per lb of body weight, get in lots of fat and eat smart carbs (fruits and veggies...maybe some startchy stuff too to put on some weight). I'm not an expert, but you can't really go wrong with just eating a ton.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:57 PM   #3
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Eat lots of veggies, fresh if possible, frozen works too
Eat lean meat
Fresh fruit, especially berries. Frozen work here too
Eat some nuts, almonds and walnuts are real good ones

Modify diet as needed to something that works for you from here.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:25 PM   #4
Ferris Ellis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Rosner View Post
Well you've read about the Zone and Paleo? Did you not like them or what? I'm confused as to why you don't just start eating paleo foods. There is no real quesiton here.
At your height and weight ratio I wouldn't even worry about anything Zone related: you need to eat a lot of food, period, and it may as well be good food (paleo). My advice to you is would be to eat 1g protein per lb of body weight, get in lots of fat and eat smart carbs (fruits and veggies...maybe some startchy stuff too to put on some weight). I'm not an expert, but you can't really go wrong with just eating a ton.
Well I was wondering if to do both or just one. Seems like from the responses and just reading around that people recommend going paleo before zone. I will try to get my protein to 156g a day (not sure how, that's a lot of protein) do you all recommend using protein powder?
Or to just stick to meats and nuts for protein?
Old 03-07-2010, 06:49 PM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Well I was wondering if to do both or just one. Seems like from the responses and just reading around that people recommend going paleo before zone. I will try to get my protein to 156g a day (not sure how, that's a lot of protein) do you all recommend using protein powder?
Or to just stick to meats and nuts for protein?
The Zone as written is a calorie-restricted diet. IMO, no one your size has any business measuring their food. You should be eating anything that will hold still long enough.

Katherine
Old 03-08-2010, 03:52 AM   #6
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Hello everyone,

Thanks everyone.
If you want to avoid silly fad diets and general interweb stupidity click here. (wfs)
Old 03-08-2010, 07:59 AM   #7
Rene Forestier

Profile:

Katherine is correct here...just eat LOTS!

Don't be afraid of eating plenty of fat including saturated fat (ie. fatty cuts of meat, coconut oil, etc)...avoid trans-fats.

Acne can be caused by too much insulin released from eating too much sugar (milk does have a lot of sugar)...avoid excess carbohydrates/sugar/processed foods like the plague.

Look at delicious fats like coconut milk shakes, and olive oil or butter on pretty much anything you eat.