CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:44 PM   #1
Brian Costello

Profile:
boxes for your box...

Hi everyone. I recently got accepted as an affiliate gym and I will be moving into my space January 1 and hopefully opening for business a week or so following!! Needless to say I am very excited, it has been about a year in the making. I want to thank everyone who contributes input to this forum for all their help. I don't ask too many questions directly but have done countless searches and hours and hours of browsing where everyone's input has answered so many of my questions. Without this forum I would not even be close to prepared for business.

Anyway...

I'm not sure what to do about the plyo boxes for my place. I plan on starting with about 12-15 boxes ranging from 12"-30". Now if I order them pre-made, they will cost around $130-$160 a piece with shipping. If I order them pre-assembled, they will be about $100-125 each after shipping, plus a few hours of assembly. I'm looking at almost $2000 worth of boxes. That's about 15% of my equipment budget.

I could also make my own, or at least pay someone to make them. I figure if I buy all the materials (i.e. wood, glue, screws) and supply the plans, I could pay someone that is skilled with woodworking (I have a guy in mind) a set price per box and hopefully they could come to the gym and make all of them in one day. Even if the materials cost $500 (which they shouldn't), and I payed the person $40/box, that would be about $1100 for 15 boxes.

I have never made a box so this is where I need help.

Is it reasonable to expect a carpenter to be able to make that many boxes in one day? (it comes out to almost 2 boxes/ hour)

Is $40/box a reasonable rate? (I figure 15 boxes @ $40/box= $600/ 8 hours = $75/hour)

Am I underestimating cost of materials??

Based on pictures and my own time in other CF boxes, most look homemade. But I don't know if they made them or not. What approach have you used?

If my numbers are accuate I think I have answered my own question. I just don't know if they are.

Thank you in advance to any advice and opinions
Old 12-11-2009, 07:00 PM   #2
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: boxes for your box...

I'll leave others to comment on the pricing. I have no experience with that.

BUT, do you really need 12-15 boxes to start with? I'd bet you could manage with 6-8 for a while and then buy the rest later if you find that you really need them. Just something to consider.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 12-11-2009, 07:04 PM   #3
Steve Loeding

Profile:

ahhh - you beat me to it !!! I was gonna say start with 7-8 and keep the guy on-call in case you need more. I made my own (with the help of a friend) and I don't think they were very much. Pay the guy $20 / box + cost of materials
Old 12-11-2009, 07:35 PM   #4
Brian Costello

Profile:

Thank you for the advice, I see where you guys are coming from. However, I think my situation will be slightly different than most start-up boxes. I have been planning my opening for almost a year, all of while promoting my business. This has worked out well and I have a lot of potential clients lined up already. My situation is fortunate being I work with 88 lifeguards over the summer, about 95% of which are athletic males and females between the ages of 16-30. I have already converted many of them to CF and many others have shown interest in becoming members. I also work with 3 different varsity wrestling teams in the area as either a volunteer coach or strength trainer. Many of these athletes have shown interest. Even if only HALF the people who said they are going to sign up actually do, Iím looking at good numbers to start. I also have 8 financial backers/investors who will be not only members, but enthusiastic promoters.

This is obviously a good thing, but also tough. I am expecting a blitz in the first 2 months. This will be a test. If I can keep all these clients happy, I think we will continue growing. If I am unprepared and cannot provide for them, I think we could see a decline from the months 2-12. If we cannot keep these people satisfied, the people I am counting on as committed clients, we may never recover. I ended up going with a larger space than originally planned as well as a larger equipment budget to prepare. So yes, I can probably go with about 10 boxes instead, but I really want to be ready.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:10 PM   #5
Becca Borawski

Profile:

I think we must have had over 150 students enrolled at CFLA before we ever had more than 6-8 boxes. They're kinda like rowers - you really don't need that many until you have a LOT of students.

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com
Old 12-11-2009, 08:19 PM   #6
Brian Costello

Profile:

Oh wow thank you for the input. I would not have expected that.

How does this sound?

2- 12"

3- 20"

2- 24"

1- 30"

I guess we could really use bumper plates to add height whenever possible.

And can those be built in 8 hours or less?

Thanks for all the quick replies!
Old 12-11-2009, 09:08 PM   #7
Greg Light

Profile:

I think the boxes you listed are plenty to start with. In this economy I would guess you can get them made pretty inexpensively. I would contact a few carpenters on craigslist, show the plans to them, and ask them what they will charge for labor to get it all done. I think you'll be surprised how cheap you can get it done.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:23 PM   #8
Damon Stewart

Profile:

It really depends on how many people you're going to be training per session. We started with 6-8 boxes, that was fine. Now we make sure we have enough equipment to train 12-18 people in one session.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:50 AM   #9
Bryan Kemper

Profile:

Check out CFJ#49.."Homemade Plyo Boxes". I assume that a decent carpenter/woodworking hobbyist could hammer these out without much trouble or expense.

Good luck with the new CF box!
Old 12-12-2009, 01:16 AM   #10
Bryan Kemper

Profile:

double post

Last edited by Bryan Kemper : 12-12-2009 at 01:17 AM. Reason: double post