CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:52 AM   #1
Steve Loeding

Profile:
programming

Do any affiliates offer different programming for different clients ? What I mean is do you offer the "regular" CrossFit programing and also maybe a class specifically CFSB or MEBB - giving people an option of which one they want to follow ? I see some affiliates run boot camps too.

Any thoughts ?
Old 12-11-2009, 09:10 AM   #2
Ryan Hoegner

Profile:
Re: programming

Steve,

We have a few that follow CFSB, but they come in and train during our "open gym" hours. I want to stay away from Members trying to pick and choose what they want to do during our normal CF classes.

CrossFit Obsession typically has a choice of two different WOD's: A CrossFit WOD, which is .com'ish. And an "Obsession" WOD, which is a METCON or a burner.

Ryan
Old 12-11-2009, 09:59 AM   #3
Steven Bowser

Profile:

Steve,
Thats the golden question. Some gyms allow it. Some dont. Both good and bad both ways.
We offer 1 WOD which can be scaled for everyone. If they want to lighten the weight and make it more cardio or go heavier for better strength - have at it.
I do have a couple members who do their own routine because they are working on certain weaknesses and want to compete in the games one day.
I also get situations when clients miss a wod that they really wanted to do so if it does not interfere with the group I will allow them to do it if a spare coach is available. I like to keep clients happy.
So you have to go with what works for you and your box.
Our programming is a hybrid version. Strength with short Met Cons with a Chipper once a week.
Good luck and hope that helped.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:17 AM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

The baseline at my affiliate is the mainpage WOD about a week behind. But they do custom programming for potential Games competitors, people on the Affiliate Cup team, and others with specific needs. They also have open gym hours, so people who want to do their own thing can. And finally, there's a programmed "rest" day, which people can use to make up a workout they missed, work on weaknesses, or whatever.

Katherine
Old 12-11-2009, 09:27 PM   #5
Damon Stewart

Profile:

We do our own programming and that's what most of my athletes follow. I also have a CFFB style (periodized strength followed by short intense met-con) 3 days/week. Our Boot Camp is scaled Crossfit with an emphasis on proficiency in bodyweight movements and lighter loading. Finally, I do have time slots for athletes with specific goals to come in and train.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:37 AM   #6
Steve Loeding

Profile:

I think I may have mis-stated my question - what I meant was do affiliates offer a CFSB program in the morning and a "original" CrossFit type class in the afternoon - an athlete has to pick one or the other and stay there - and for the CFSB program, the athlete would have to have been doing CrossFit for a year or more.