CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-31-2009, 08:44 AM   #1
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:
Wild Caught Salmon @ the Dollar Store - too good to be true?

So the dollar store near my house also sells produce, dairy, prepakaged frozen fish, eggs, deli meat etc. Everything you'd find @ a supermarket except for raw meat. They have these frozen 4oz packets of salmon. The label says "wild caught". So if what the label says is true, that comes out to $4/lb for wild caught salmon. Sure it's frozen and not as fresh but does this seem too good to be true? It say's "wild caught" right on the label but my inner skeptic wants to think they're something fishy going on [pun intended ]

Here's their website

http://www.simplyseafood.com [safe]

Oh btw, Is eating a pound of fish 3 or 4 days out of the week harmful?
Old 08-31-2009, 09:15 AM   #2
Frank E Morel

Profile:
Re: Wild Caught Salmon @ the Dollar Store - too good to be true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahya Kohgadai View Post
So the dollar store near my house also sells produce, dairy, prepakaged frozen fish, eggs, deli meat etc. Everything you'd find @ a supermarket except for raw meat. They have these frozen 4oz packets of salmon. The label says "wild caught". So if what the label says is true, that comes out to $4/lb for wild caught salmon. Sure it's frozen and not as fresh but does this seem too good to be true? It say's "wild caught" right on the label but my inner skeptic wants to think they're something fishy going on [pun intended ]

Here's their website

http://www.simplyseafood.com [safe]

Oh btw, Is eating a pound of fish 3 or 4 days out of the week harmful?
just check the date of packaging. make sure its reasonable.
The only thing that i can think of that maybe maybe an issue.. is has it been frozen every minute since its been packaged? I have a slight thought it could have been de thawed for a brief time and original buyer decided not to stock it on their shelf. Other than that.. cant say without seeing the package and smelling an de thawed fish.

Costco has alot of fresh frozen fish in big monster slabs. Why not buy it and cut up into doable cuts and freeze it yourself. You know for certain on the freeze date and the preparation. The only thing you cannot control is the catch date.
Or you could have fish delivered do you from alaska or washington state. Then the catch day is even more controllable.
wfs
http://www.cityfish.com/1-800-334-2669/index.html when i lived in seattle just down from the market.. these guys had always good fish.
Two Socks In A Box — 2 Sockeye Salmon Feeds 16 to 20 people
$119.99 (Overnight Shipping Included) Ask them to cut into fillets..then you package and freeze yourself.

eating fish bad??????????? ahhh no. Why you pregnant?

Last edited by Frank E Morel : 08-31-2009 at 09:19 AM.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:23 AM   #3
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank E Morel View Post
just check the date of packaging. make sure its reasonable.
The only thing that i can think of that maybe maybe an issue.. is has it been frozen every minute since its been packaged? I have a slight thought it could have been de thawed for a brief time and original buyer decided not to stock it on their shelf. Other than that.. cant say without seeing the package and smelling an de thawed fish.

Costco has alot of fresh frozen fish in big monster slabs. Why not buy it and cut up into doable cuts and freeze it yourself. You know for certain on the freeze date and the preparation. The only thing you cannot control is the catch date.
Or you could have fish delivered do you from alaska or washington state. Then the catch day is even more controllable.
wfs
http://www.cityfish.com/1-800-334-2669/index.html when i lived in seattle just down from the market.. these guys had always good fish.
Two Socks In A Box 2 Sockeye Salmon Feeds 16 to 20 people
$119.99 (Overnight Shipping Included) Ask them to cut into fillets..then you package and freeze yourself.

eating fish bad??????????? ahhh no. Why you pregnant?
Thanks for the link frank. Well the freshness is a bit of a concern but I was wondering more about the "wild caught" aspect. Can we really trust that it's truly wild caught and not farmed?
Old 08-31-2009, 09:25 AM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

FWIW, we're right in the middle of West Coast salmon season now. So if there was ever a time when you might be able to find good salmon cheap, this is it.

Still, $4/lb. is pretty ridiculous. I'd agree with Frank's concerns about packing date and possible thawing.

Katherine
Old 08-31-2009, 09:38 AM   #5
John Devine

Profile:

Yahya, earlier in the summer a local supermarket (Stater Bros) had wild caught keta salmon for $1.99/lb. It wasn't filleted. By far that's the cheapest I've ever seen it. Buy a pound and check it out. If its good, buy more.

Frank, no concerns about mercury? I thought I read the some government agency recommends no more than x amount per week for normal healthy adults. I eat more than that myself but not 3-4 pounds a week.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:08 PM   #6
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Wild caught from where?
Old 08-31-2009, 11:33 PM   #7
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Devine View Post
Frank, no concerns about mercury? I thought I read the some government agency recommends no more than x amount per week for normal healthy adults. I eat more than that myself but not 3-4 pounds a week.
well, in the grand scheme of things.. my understanding that if you are walking outside for 15 minutes in an urban setting, your getting a dose of mercury from the air your breathing,.. the power plants that burn coal= mercury, the motor vehicles that are driving by you. Apparently, your walls have paint of the latex nature and is older than ten years; chances are your inhaling mercury. If you have metal fillings= mercury.
I would wonder if you live in an area that makes steel or ore .. mercury has to be in the air as well.
If mercury is in the air and falls to the ground in rain and dust, how is it that food that is grown or the animals we eat are not ?
http://www.epa.gov/mercury/exposure.htm wfs.. funny that land food chain is left out.

The biggest concern against seafood is for child bearing age women and infants. Which is really where accumulative mercury seems to be studied. The data comes from direct contact with mercury. ( this is wayyy out of my breathe of knowledge.)
wfs complete look .
http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodSafety/P.../ucm173271.htm

Honestly.. if you want to eat fish.. your going to eat it.. if you want to eat slugs.. your going to eat it. I guess if you are eating fish daily, best thing is to vary up the menu so your not eating constantly predatory fish that tend to have the higher ratings due to consumption of other fish and longevity.
The above link, i quoted cited that farmed fish was better as it wasnt in the water as long. But farmed fish tend to be diseased more... fresh water had less mercury but what about the other stuff that is in acid rain? or the chemicals that make its way into the fresh water ways?
http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodSafety/P.../ucm115644.htm wfs

damn if you do .. damned if you don't.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:47 PM   #8
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahya Kohgadai View Post
Thanks for the link frank. Well the freshness is a bit of a concern but I was wondering more about the "wild caught" aspect. Can we really trust that it's truly wild caught and not farmed?
Guess you have to hire a tv crew and go ask.

wfs
http://www.foodandwaterwatch.org/fish/seafood/labeling

http://www.foodandwaterwatch.org/fis...d/mercury-fish again