CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-24-2010, 10:36 PM   #1081
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:
Re: paleo "change your life in 30 days"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Hill View Post
Been high ever since I can remember! The worst was like 165/85 or something.. This was when I was sick and returning from a combat zone, however, which may have had something to do with it. However I had it tested about a week after that and it was 150/something.

Now, all of a sudden I get it checked after a month of eating quality food again and it's down to 107, somewhere I can never remember it being. Might not be the food but I sure as hell know it doesn't hurt.
so how'd your diet change exactly? More adherence to paleo or just better whole foods in general?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marta Joy View Post
I can't deny myself food that I love 100% of the time. I will only go crazy, and hate this diet. So Sushi, chocolate, and alcochol stays on my list. The rest I can live with!! ha ha!
how often and how much do you drink or are planning to? I'm in the last week of my 2nd 30 day challenge and I went out to a club w/my friends last night. It was boring as hell being sober. I still like the nightlife and can't abandon it completely so i'm trying to figure out a frequency that wouldn't hurt my performance TOO much. I'm thinking maybe one night a month or one night every three weeks or something.

Some dents in my health and performance is acceptable to me in exchange for a little fun.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:24 AM   #1082
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahya Kohgadai View Post
how often and how much do you drink or are planning to? I'm in the last week of my 2nd 30 day challenge and I went out to a club w/my friends last night. It was boring as hell being sober. I still like the nightlife and can't abandon it completely so i'm trying to figure out a frequency that wouldn't hurt my performance TOO much. I'm thinking maybe one night a month or one night every three weeks or something.

Some dents in my health and performance is acceptable to me in exchange for a little fun.
I'm freaking out reading this. I just realized that I have been sober for 25 days and I'm not even thinking about drinking. Something is REALLY wrong with that...
Old 01-25-2010, 09:13 AM   #1083
Jason Broyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marta Joy View Post
I can't deny myself food that I love 100% of the time. I will only go crazy, and hate this diet. So Sushi, chocolate, and alcochol stays on my list. The rest I can live with!! ha ha!

Marta this was day 7 of my challenge and was feeling great yesterday. I had my normal bacon and eggs breakfast and then got a call from my buddy. We all went down to my friends place to watch football at all the houses i was at yesterday there was not one food item that was paleo. I held off as long as I could thinking we might order some food and I could get a grilled chicken salad or something, well that didn't happen. So i ate a couple pieces of buffalo chicken and some nachos. I passed on the beer though! It was then i realized that my lifestyle won't permit me to be 100% strict fro any amount of time because of spur of the moment things like these. I could easily do 30 days if i jsut stayed home but im not willing to do that, I'm 25 and single no way I'm loosing any of these golden years.

Just if you have to be in that situation don't what too much and get right bag on the wagon the next day, thats what i'm doing.

So i guess this is day 1 again for me, lets see if i can make it 8 days in a row for a new PR!
Old 01-25-2010, 09:29 AM   #1084
Marta Joy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niall Somerville View Post
You should. AA has a success rate of about 5% so they need all the help they can get.

I never said addictions don't exist, they most certainly do. However, I don't believe that anyone is "powerless" to stop doing something. All these AA style organizations are just cleverly disguised religions. Admit you are powerless and then turn yourself over to a higher power. It's rubbish. People aren't power-less, they are power-ful. Telling yourself you are powerless is as good as giving up your dignity and self respect. I was an addict because I chose to be. I chose to smoke ridiculous amounts. When I chose to stop I did. I didn't shift the responsibility onto anyone else and whinge about how I was powerless and ask "why me?" I wasn't chosen to be an addict, I chose to start doing something I knew was addictive and when it came time to stop I did.

I'm not trying to make out that i'm special or anything, i'm just saying that I truly believe people have the power to change things in their life without meetings and religion and all the crap that goes with it. Giving up something is hard, no one is disputing that, but if you truly wanted to stop then you would.

WHOA WHOA! Settle down here PLEASE! I am a Christ Follower and i am HIGHLY offended by your religion bashing here calling it rubbish. You cannot possibly understand what if feels like to be saved by God from sure destruction, to be so low on the ground and know that it is the end of you, to feel so powerless. Your comment is shallow and rude. Please take this kind of talk somewhere else. And to say that you were able to just QUIT...well that's you, congratulations, the next person is not so lucky. Addictions are a very scary thing, food addictions exist THEY REALLY DO! A drug addiction as you may know yourself is a horrible thing to have to go through and i will tell you that only with God's help, only in HIM i was able to work through some of those things in my life. I do not believe in telling myself that i am powerless at all, that would be like saying God did a bad job when He created me and that goes against everything i believe in...but as a human being i am weak, i fall and stumble all the time, it's our human nature to do what feels good and not always to do what we should. THAT is also why this forum was created to lift each other up, because whether we get the support from people, God or whoever WE DO NEED THE SUPPORT OF OTHERS! Why are you here, if what you said above is true?

Yes i am a bit shaken right now...it's all good tho, I'll be over it as soon as i hit reply! I know i don't need man's approval, and that's the wonderful thing about God!

Have a wonderful day.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:36 AM   #1085
Marta Joy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Broyer View Post
Marta this was day 7 of my challenge and was feeling great yesterday. I had my normal bacon and eggs breakfast and then got a call from my buddy. We all went down to my friends place to watch football at all the houses i was at yesterday there was not one food item that was paleo. I held off as long as I could thinking we might order some food and I could get a grilled chicken salad or something, well that didn't happen. So i ate a couple pieces of buffalo chicken and some nachos. I passed on the beer though! It was then i realized that my lifestyle won't permit me to be 100% strict fro any amount of time because of spur of the moment things like these. I could easily do 30 days if i jsut stayed home but im not willing to do that, I'm 25 and single no way I'm loosing any of these golden years.

Just if you have to be in that situation don't what too much and get right bag on the wagon the next day, thats what i'm doing.

So i guess this is day 1 again for me, lets see if i can make it 8 days in a row for a new PR!
HAHA! Day one huh? YEah i did about 40 days on strict Paleo, and i loved it...i really missed my chocolate and i still had a glass of wine here and there. So all in all i did great, then HOLIDAYS came! I am not a sweets person...hate cakes, doughnuts and pies UGH! But i did have some sweet potatoes and ice cream! Then i remembered how great all that food tasted. But it also made me feel gross...yeah...i know! NOT WORTH IT!

But now it's hard to get back, and i don't really think i want to do a 100% paleo. I realized what foods i cannot eat and i skip those now I eat mainly paleo all throughout the week, sometimes i will have an Almond Joy! My weakness...but the weekend are a mess. HA HA! Well good luck on your challange, and here's to a beautiful new week! Gonna go have that big 'ol salad! yum!

That's me running to the kitchen!

Old 01-25-2010, 09:41 AM   #1086
Marta Joy

Profile:

[quote=how often and how much do you drink or are planning to? I'm in the last week of my 2nd 30 day challenge and I went out to a club w/my friends last night. It was boring as hell being sober. I still like the nightlife and can't abandon it completely so i'm trying to figure out a frequency that wouldn't hurt my performance TOO much. I'm thinking maybe one night a month or one night every three weeks or something.

Some dents in my health and performance is acceptable to me in exchange for a little fun.[/QUOTE]

depends...i don't go out too much i have two kids so i stay at home with hubby and we have a drink together maybe 2-3 times a week? I'm kinda like "whatever" life is too short to have such drastic limitations. We gotta do a little enjoying, of course if it is not to excess or damaging to our body...i say go for it!

I also say that but i never had any weight issues, i am teeny so i don't worry about loosing weight...if anything i need to gain a few pounds. OF MUSCLE preferably.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:45 AM   #1087
Marta Joy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahya Kohgadai View Post
so how'd your diet change exactly? More adherence to paleo or just better whole foods in general?

Don't know what happened to the QUOTE above, my editing didn't work... so here I'll re-post it.

depends...i don't go out too much i have two kids so i stay at home with hubby and we have a drink together maybe 2-3 times a week? I'm kinda like "whatever" life is too short to have such drastic limitations. We gotta do a little enjoying, of course if it is not to excess or damaging to our body...i say go for it!

I also say that but i never had any weight issues, i am teeny so i don't worry about loosing weight...if anything i need to gain a few pounds. OF MUSCLE preferably.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:54 AM   #1088
Diane Mahoney

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
I'm freaking out reading this. I just realized that I have been sober for 25 days and I'm not even thinking about drinking. Something is REALLY wrong with that...
Me too, Tamara. I've thought about it a little. Not really craving it though. When I do have a slight craving, it's usually time to EAT. Not sure I will make it 100 days...but I will make it another three weeks.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:59 PM   #1089
Jean-Paul Lara

Profile:

I've been doing the paleo diet for about a week now and I'm already feeling the amazing effects! More energy, better workouts. I haven't had any cravings for fast foods and anything else NOT on the paleo diet, I'm usually really about sticking to diets. Besides who would want to go back to feeling tired and fat all the time???

Anyway I just wanted to share with you guys what I've been eating daily for the past week and I'm basically looking for some input on whether or not I'm on the right track or if I should add something

6am oatmeal
9am 1/4 cup mixed nuts and celery and/or broccoli
11am canned tuna in water more mixed nuts and veggies
2pm nuts or vegetables
6pm for dinner I'll have a ground turkey wrap with cucumber dressing or just some mixed veggies or a salad and a chicken breast. Depends on what my wife cooks for dinner but it is always paleo friendly.

I occasionally will have egg whites and spinach or just the egg whites from 3 or 4 hardboiled eggs.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:01 PM   #1090
Jean-Paul Lara

Profile:

Btw the turkey wrap I have is a lettuce wrap NOT tortilla or pita crap