CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-13-2004, 03:17 PM   #1
Max Wallach

Profile:  
can anyone suggest a good weekly workout for a generally athletic guy, although just recently back to the gym after hurting back, in order to prepare himself to start doing the crossfit workouts?
Old 08-13-2004, 04:00 PM   #2
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Hi Max,

Welcome to Crossfit.

I'd suggest you'd purchase the April 2003 issue of the Crossfit Journal. It's one of the best issues, IMO and contains the Crossfit Fitness Test I. It's a series of 5 tests that contain most of the fundamental movements used in Crossfit. Workout structure and possible exercise modifications are given as well. Since there's 5 tests, I think it'll work nicely into a weekly schedule. The point is made in that issue that if you practice only the tests and exclude other work that'll you'll still develop a formidable level of fitness.

Hope this helps,

Ryan
Old 08-13-2004, 04:04 PM   #3
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Max,

I just reread your post and caught the part about your recent back injury. I'd suggest scaling the weights for the lifts in accordance with your current ability. Insist on no less than perfect form.

Hope this helps,

Ryan
Old 08-13-2004, 05:07 PM   #4
Max Wallach

Profile:  
Ryan,
Do you happen to know what issue number that is? Crossfit backorders are by # rather than date. Thanks,
Max
Old 08-13-2004, 05:18 PM   #5
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Hi Max,

It's back issue #8. The 'How Fit Are You' subtitle refers to the tests I described.

Hope this helps,

Ryan
Old 08-14-2004, 05:29 AM   #6
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Like Ryan, I would suggest doing the WOD just scaling it back to taylor your fitness level and injury status. Lower weights, take more rest, etc.
Old 08-14-2004, 05:57 AM   #7
Dan MacDougald

Profile:
I am in the same boat, recovering from a back injury, plus being a little older than most folks. What is working for me is using the CrossFit warmup described in issue 8. Doing it 3 times, gradually adding reps, adding a few exercises like good mornings & extra abdominals to help the back along, and gradually increasing speed so that I'm now doing it as fast as possible all add up to a pretty good workout. When it gets to be easy then you can add suitably modified WOD. The CF warm up is: Samson stretch 30 sec each leg, 10x each of OH squat (broomstick), back extension, sit up, pull up, dip. Repeat 3 x. To this I have added good mornings with low weight and knee ups on roman chair. Good total body workout and puffing hard by 3rd set.
Old 08-14-2004, 06:51 AM   #8
Graham Hayes

Profile:
Before I started doing the WOD I made up my workouts, along similar lines but they were a lot easier than the WOD, I did this for about 4 or 5 months. Then I jumped into the WOD at 100% intensity, most workouts took from 30-40 minutes. I did this for about a month and a half and burned out. In July I started doing the WOD but with 50% of the reps/distance I did this for two weeks and stepped up to 65% two weeks later and I'm now at 75%. I think the difficulty gets exponetially larger rather than linearly, 50% was easy, 65% was a bit tougher, 75% is tough and I'm only doing on average 2 reps more than at 50%. I check my times against the people doing it at 100%, Ryan post's regularly and has great times, other great times come from Kelly, fish, Cyrus, Matt G and others. If I consistently beat Ryan's (or the others) times then I know the intensity should be stepped up.

By doing this I can work at a higher intensity than if I stuck with doing it as prescribed. I plan to be going at 100% at the start of October. I have made great progress taking this approach, I have gone from:

29 pull ups to 32
0 handstand pushups to 6
65kg C&J to 75kg
130kg deadlift to 150kg

This is the 'not where you start but where you end up' approach to the WOD's, and I'm very happy with it.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:56 AM   #9
Tony Young

Profile:
Max and Dan,
Another idea would be The Beginners Routine in CFJ #9 (May '03). It's a measured 12 week approach which you could start at any point in the routine depending on your current fitness level. I've started my wife (not at all athletic)on this program and she's doing pretty well.
Old 08-16-2004, 06:38 AM   #10
Dan MacDougald

Profile:
Tony,
Thanks, I've seen the Beginner's routine in issue 9, and had planned on starting it as soon as I get to where I can go thru the CF warmup fairly fast without wasting myself. I'm almost there. My back is a major concern, but I did some deadlifting with very light weight on Sat and my back felt great on Sunday, so I'll be starting that program soon!