CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 05-07-2009, 11:14 PM   #1
Alejandro Martinez

Profile:
Cool Grace: Go heavy or light?

I am wondering what will be the greatest benefit to me with Grace, the Rx'd weight, or 95#, like I usually do. I am a medium guy when it comes to CF, which means that I need to work on all skills and am not necessarily gifted on one. Maybe a little on the strength side, but repeated lifts like this kill my endurance and leave me panting. Should I stay at 95 or bump up to 135 and increase my strength and endurance at that weight? I welcome any input.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:41 PM   #2
Robert Anthony

Profile:
Re: Grace: Go heavy or light?

I think I am in the same boat as you. I can do the 135# but I will be destroyed. If I go 95#, I will still be destroyed but I think at a different level. I have never attempted Grace before, so I think I will go with 135# for Rxd and then come back down to improve form and overall fitness. Just my 2 cents. God Bless.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:51 AM   #3
Rory White

Profile:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_RCKkApwiWx...n+and+Jerk.jpg (wfs)
Old 05-08-2009, 05:59 AM   #4
Christopher Day

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alejandro Martinez View Post
I am wondering what will be the greatest benefit to me with Grace, the Rx'd weight, or 95#, like I usually do. I am a medium guy when it comes to CF, which means that I need to work on all skills and am not necessarily gifted on one. Maybe a little on the strength side, but repeated lifts like this kill my endurance and leave me panting. Should I stay at 95 or bump up to 135 and increase my strength and endurance at that weight? I welcome any input.
My suggestion is that you go with the heaviest weight possible that will still allow you to complete the workout in ~8 minutes. Longer than that, and you are not really getting the intended effect.

This advice also applies to those who should be scaling the workout up.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:37 AM   #5
Lou Cabales

Profile:

to power clean or to squat clean .........that is the question????

ive been told both are ok just notate that in your score/time?
Old 05-08-2009, 06:40 AM   #6
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Anthony View Post
I think I am in the same boat as you. I can do the 135# but I will be destroyed. If I go 95#, I will still be destroyed but I think at a different level. I have never attempted Grace before, so I think I will go with 135# for Rxd and then come back down to improve form and overall fitness. Just my 2 cents. God Bless.
i think this is a poor plan. i think it's better to err on the side of scaling too much rather than not enough.

i'd do 95: if you finish under 5ish, then you know you should scale up next time.

Lou: either is okay. just note what you do. i'm squat cleaning today
Old 05-08-2009, 06:46 AM   #7
Mark Patrick

Profile:

Why not try something between 95 and 135. Fourty pounds is a huge jump. Try 105 or 115 and see how that goes.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:51 AM   #8
Jeff S Johnson

Profile:

I've only done it once and didn't scale, even though 135 is not that far below my best clean of any type (165). It was actually the overhead portion that killed me. Because of failed jerks, I ended up cleaning it 39 times. My time was atrocious. Didn't miss a single clean though.

It'll be up as the WOD next week at my box. I may still go with the RX weight. My reasoning is simple - my biggest weakness is strength/explosiveness. My metcon ability is very good, but I can't display that on something like Grace because I'm not strong enough. I'm ok with making Grace a strength WOD for myself right now.

If you're unsure whether to go RX'd or 95, I'm guessing the best answer for you is somewhere in between. Sure it says 95 on the mainsite, but there's no reason you can't use 115 if that suits you best.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:41 AM   #9
Mike Darley

Profile:

I agree with Christopher. If doing Grace as rx'd would cause to take like 20 minutes to do it, you should have scaled down. It should be done in like 8-9 mintues. If it's taking too long you're loosing the metcon value. Also you have to be careful with heavier weight not to hurt yourself. No point in doing something stupid and having to wait a week to recover.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:54 AM   #10
Jesse Kodadek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Cabales View Post
to power clean or to squat clean .........that is the question????
Everyone who is hitting the super fast times is power cleaning. Squat cleans will take a LOT longer and be far more work.

Not that that is bad...just realize that most of the people posting 3-5 minute times are power cleaning. And even then, many of those people are push pressing instead of jerking if they are capable of it.

Grace is really more of a two handed overhead anyhow than a clean and jerk workout at this point.