CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 02-01-2009, 07:24 PM   #1
Omar Omar

Profile:
the rowing challenge.

well, like the title says i was thinking about a new challenge to myself.
bieng faster at rowing.

i was at the rowing machine earlier on today, i worked hard and i think i got a 14 minute 3 k, my pace per 1000 meters is just above 4 minutes, i think its really bad. i only rowed since a few weeks when the gym got them c2's

i now have a VERY long run goal. getting a 11 minutes 3k on the rowing machine, im not sure how possible that is to begin with and im not sure what timelimit i will set for myself either, ill take a while and figure those out

anyways, i welcome all you guys at challenging your rowin endurance and joining with me. any thoughts and advice are appreciated.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:45 PM   #2
Eric Kropp

Profile:
Re: the rowing challenge.

I'll be in on this. I'll do a 3k row once a week, and post up my times.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:57 PM   #3
Cole Mcnabb

Profile:

Your pace sounds pretty good to me, I heard they have a C2 row competition at the games, I also heard the winning time was 3:01 last year for 1000 meters, I cant confirm this, but I heard it from an active crossfitter. I went to a C2 row competition this weekend, I have never been on a C2 other than fight gone bad for 3 rounds. I entered the never ever been on water division, I placed 4th, 3 more seconds would have netted 3rd. my 2000 meter time was 6:59. I hope this gives you a good idea of some peoples paces. keep us informed on your progress. Good luck with your goals!!!
Old 02-02-2009, 03:28 AM   #4
Mark Yanis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Omar View Post
well, like the title says i was thinking about a new challenge to myself.
bieng faster at rowing.

i was at the rowing machine earlier on today, i worked hard and i think i got a 14 minute 3 k, my pace per 1000 meters is just above 4 minutes, i think its really bad. i only rowed since a few weeks when the gym got them c2's

i now have a VERY long run goal. getting a 11 minutes 3k on the rowing machine, im not sure how possible that is to begin with and im not sure what timelimit i will set for myself either, ill take a while and figure those out

anyways, i welcome all you guys at challenging your rowin endurance and joining with me. any thoughts and advice are appreciated.
You're rowing at about a 2:20/500m pace for 3k. If you're an average male under 60, there's a lot of room for improvement. Aside from conditioning, most beginners row slowly at first because their technique is poor. I suggest you go to the concept2 site and look at their materials on technique. There are also good rowing technique vids on the crossfit site.

Also on the concept2 site you can find worldwide rankings for people in your age and weight group for standard pieces. I don't think there's a ranking for 3km but the 2km is probably the most popular distance so you can get lots of info there if competition is what you're looking for. A good short term goal for the 2k is under 8 minutes. I suspect you could do it after a few workouts. Then try to work your way down to under 7 minutes. If you can get under 7 for a 2k, you're pretty fit. (My best 2k is 7:23 so I still have much room for improvement myself.)

Good luck and let us know how you're doing!
Old 02-02-2009, 08:21 AM   #5
Omar Omar

Profile:

wow man, im going to row tommorow or the day after, i need to know my 2k speed, i hope im not as slow as 4minutes+ per 1k.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:43 PM   #6
Lee Austin

Profile:

Most rowers measure their speed by their "split": the time for 500m. If you use that, it makes comparing times easier.

If you want to compare some score, here's the results from last years; Crash B's, a national 2k race. (BTW, lightweight for men is 160, for women is 130) Like Mark said, 2k is pretty much the standard race time although 5ks are often tested in the fall.

Here's an [url=http://www.uoregon.edu/~uocrew/ergscore.html[/url] you can use to calculate your splits. Mark's split for a 7:23 is 1:50.75. My best 2k ever (as a masters lightweight female) is 8:24 which is a 2:06 split. Both time are kinda average for rowers.

If you want to see some erg training programs, you should go to the Concept 2 website. There are training plans and a great forum where some elite rowers will answer the occasional question.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:40 PM   #7
Wendy Nelson

Profile:

I'm in....I love to row and hope to get really good at it. I grew up in the Seattle area and always wished I was in one of the many boats I saw out on the water. I'm pretty much a rookie but here is my last time. I will row tommorrow and post my time, are we doing 2000 or 3000?

Lee - how bad is it? I can handle the truth.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	display.jpg
Views:	766
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	3430  
Old 02-03-2009, 10:02 AM   #8
Lee Austin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy Nelson View Post
I'm in....I love to row and hope to get really good at it. I grew up in the Seattle area and always wished I was in one of the many boats I saw out on the water. I'm pretty much a rookie but here is my last time. I will row tommorrow and post my time, are we doing 2000 or 3000?

Lee - how bad is it? I can handle the truth.....
Well, using the erg calculator (WFS) (I totally messed up the link to this in my post above), I can see that you held a 2:23.1 average split for 1691 meters which, if you could hold that pace, puts you at a 2k time of 9:32.4. Which honestly isn't stellar, like it was mentioned above, most women are aiming for sub-8:00 on a 2k.

But, I don't know anything about you. Height and mass can make a big difference. No matter how much I train, I will never have the erg scores of my team mate, Margaret, who is 6'1" and probably 175. Training and experience also count for a lot. Most novices have excrutiatingly bad erg technique that tires them out really quickly. Plus they have trouble holding a steady stroke rating and split which leads to much less efficient rowing.

On the positive side, sub-10:00 is a good start, especially if you're a masters rower (over 27) and means you have plenty of exciting goals to reach!

It just occured to me that if you just let the erg stop, the clock might have been still going while you took the pic which would push down your average split.

When y'all do pieces, you should preset the distance or the time so you can get an accurate average split. Here's the PM3/4 monitor manual (PDF) (WFS). Page 4 has info on setting the distance. Because a 2k is such a standard WO, it's in the standard list. The great thing about presetting your time or distance is that you can go back and look at the memory to see where you were holding your target pace or where you were really having trouble. (BTW, there's other cool stuff you can do with the monitor. There's a couple of games to play with and you can also set up a pace boat at your target split to race against.)
Old 02-03-2009, 02:30 PM   #9
Wendy Nelson

Profile:

Lee, thanks for the feedback! The clock still runs and the numbers are still settling after I finish. I will study the link you gave me and see if I can set it to run a specific distance. My goal is 2k in 8 minutes, I am 47 and at 148lbs BF% is 27 so I don't have much muscle to work with yet.

To achieve my goal I should keep a steady pace as opposed to all out and then peter?

I'm off to read page four, thanks for the homework!
Old 02-04-2009, 10:11 AM   #10
Lee Austin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy Nelson View Post
To achieve my goal I should keep a steady pace as opposed to all out and then peter?
Yeah, you'll do better overall if you pick a pace you can hold. There's lots of different 2k strategies 'cause a huge component of erging in mental. A common one is something like this:

First 500m: first few strokes always feel kinda easy but it's probalby not a split you can hold. After about 10-15 strokes, force yourself to bring it down to your target pace.
Second 500: Concentrate on rowing consistently and holding your pace.
Third 500: Do a power 10 to get you past the middle and you're half way there. This is where it gets tough mentally.
Last 500; Home stretch, maybe 60 strokes left. I'm a counter, it helps me do go by groups of 12.
Last 250: Final sprint! Bring up the rating a little and give it all you have left. "Empty the tanks" - you don't want to finish and feel like you could've pulled harder.
Last 100: 12 strokes to go! Make each one beter than the last and finish strong. You should feel like you're dying at this point and, if you're a puker, have a bucket handy.

For your first 2k, I'd pick something like 2:15 to aim for. It'll probably seem ridiculously easy for the first 500m but hard to hold for the third. If you have a lot left, blow it out for the last 500, as low as you can go. Then your next 2k, you can set a goal a couple of seconds (average split) below your last one.