CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-03-2008, 01:58 PM   #1
michael Galietta

Profile:
DIY stuff for the mechanically impaired

This is week 4 of crossfit for me...and I am pretty stoked. I had a good amount of equipment to start with already...power rack, 300 lbs of oly weights, chin up bar, etc.
I have been reading posts on home made stuff and decided to give it a go myself with a Home Depot excursion. I am not real handy so it would have to be easy...and cheap. I am lucky enough to have 15' high exposed wood ceiling rafters in my garage.
1. I bought a 32' piece of rope with 750 lb rating for 55 cents a foot. I hung it in a loop over 2 rafters to spread the weight out a bit and put knots in it on the way up for rope climbing.
2. I bought 2 rolls of 100' 14 gauge metal wire at 6.99 each to use for rings. They are already shaped just right. I covered them liberally with duct tape.
3. I bought a 4 pack of cargo tie downs that are 16' ft long for $13.99. They come in 2 pieces for each tie down...1 piece is a 1' long buckle end that you can use to tighten things up. I did not use these ends at all. I used the other ends of which there are also 4 in the package. They are a long strap with an open end metal hook shaped like a "U" on one end. They are capable of holding 200+ lbs. each strap. I tied 2 to my indoor chin up bar to use for for ring pushups. I tied the extra strap material around the bar at the top to keep it out of the way.
4. I tied the other 2 straps to 2 different rafters in the garage for muscle ups. I again tied the excess strap around the rafters at the top to keep them out of my way.
4. I bought 2 large caribiners for 2.99 each. I hook the homemade rings in the caribiners and they stay there. Then I either hook the caribiner inside the house on the "U" hook for ring pushups or take them to the garage for muscle ups.
5. My weight is more than enough to keep the rings and caribiners in the open end "U" hook. I won't be doing any crazy ring work anyways so I don't see how the rings could or would come out of the "U" hooks.
6. Unfortunately pulling is a weakness of mine so I can't climb rope very well and can't do a muscle up....yet.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:33 PM   #2
John Biddle

Profile:
Re: DIY stuff for the mechanically impaired

All sounds good.

Parallettes to do push-ups etc on are handy and pretty simple and cheap to make. No special tools required - just a hand saw. There'll be plenty of links on here.

Out of interest, do the "roll of wire" rings bend under your weight, or do they stay pretty much circular?
Old 12-03-2008, 07:10 PM   #3
michael Galietta

Profile:

John....zero bend on the wire...
Old 12-31-2008, 10:42 AM   #4
Tim Crawford

Profile:

Do you have any pictures of this? Sounds like a pretty easy set-up, but can't get a visual....
Old 12-31-2008, 01:24 PM   #5
michael Galietta

Profile:

Here is a pic:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ring.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	3186  
Old 12-31-2008, 09:42 PM   #6
Tim Crawford

Profile:

Thanks for the pixs, but I meant the way you are using the cargo straps....I think I have an idea how you are using them, so no big deal...
Old 01-01-2009, 11:38 AM   #7
michael Galietta

Profile:

The end you dont see in the picture has no U hook it is only a strap end. I just tied that end around my exposed rafters in my high ceiling garage.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:39 PM   #8
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I have thought about doing the same things for rings but deemed them unsafe for letting anyone else use them, namely children being gymnasts.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:14 PM   #9
michael Galietta

Profile:

I would only recommend them for muscle ups. l-sits, pullups, etc....nothing where your head is upside down.