CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-12-2008, 12:09 PM   #1
Andrew Dossman

Profile:
Rugby Team

Hey guys im doing the hybrid strength program but our school is starting up a rugby team, ive never played, but they need bodies. They practice twice a week but i dont know if my body can handle heavy lifts, WODS, and rugby practice. First games start next semester! Anyone have any advise on what i should cut out or change or anything. THANKS!
Old 11-12-2008, 02:17 PM   #2
Melody Glasgow

Profile:
Re: Rugby Team

Hi, I'm a rugby player on a D1 women's side. My team has training on Tues. and Thurs. Off season and pre-season I stick to the WOD pretty religiously. When training starts I'll do CF on Mon, Wedn, Fri, and I'll go for a run/hike/bike ride on Saturdays. When games start I drop CF down to Mon and Wedn, take a rest Fri, and play on Sat. I bike to work and back everyday (~10 miles/day) too.

Just try to push yourself every day, but listen to your body. If you're starting to get really grumpy and you don't have an appetite take a rest day. Towards the end of the season, depending on how many games you have, you'll probably start to feel pretty beat up. Take extra rest days if your body is telling you to.

Your diet really determines how many days in a row you can go, as well. Eat healthy or all that training will lower your immune system and you'll get sick.

Welcome to rugby, your new addiction!
Old 11-12-2008, 10:38 PM   #3
John Biddle

Profile:

Andrew, what Melody says sounds about right. I think you need to see what the team practices are like to gauge whether you can do other training on those days. If they're flogging you at training, you probably don't need or want to do more. If you're spending more time learning skills (as you should be) maybe you can. It will also depend on what position you end up playing, and whether your coach has you just running a lot or also incorporates more contact work and bodyweight exercises. I think you'll just have to see how you go for a while and then reassess.

When you start playing games, obviously you wouldn't train on the day of the game, and I think not the day before either (or if you did, not anything intense). Until then, see how you go adding the rugby practices in to your existing program, possibly dropping one or two WOD's in favour of those practices. Nothing to say you couldn't do a modified or scaled WOD on the days you have practices if you wanted to do a bit more. Good luck with it and I hope you enjoy rugby.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:28 AM   #4
Linus Hector

Profile:

Listen to the above specially about how the traings are, sometimes its lots of ballhandlig skills when you can train abit more and when its lots of contact its the opposite.

And if you can handle it try to do some heavy lifting AM on rugbytraining days maybe a couple of lifts each training.

And of course start playing the great game you will not regret it.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:51 PM   #5
Dan Castillo

Profile:

Great posts. I am on a hiatus from rugby (probationary firefighter), but what I found that worked best for me is W.O.D's on mon/wed, practice tues and thurs, rest on fri and a light jog and stretch on sun. I tried to modify the wods after about 6 months of CF to simulate the game a bit. Throw in a couple of sprints in between rounds of the shorter wods if your able to. I should have done more oly lifting and plyometric also. But see what works for you. (it also depends on what postiton you will be playing that will help define your workouts) I'm interested in any feedback from you and other ruggers.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:13 PM   #6
Andrew Dossman

Profile:

Thanks guys ya we dont have any idea what positions are yet alot of the guys are smaller then i am, we need alot of bigger players to play forward lol
Old 11-13-2008, 08:51 PM   #7
Aaron C Bennett

Profile:

I did what Dan did, with swimming on Sundays (as I live in Florida and had an outdoor swimming pool at my old place). I'd suggest the book Complete Conditioning for Rugby by Dan Luger and Paul Pook. (wfs)