CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-01-2008, 08:38 AM   #1
Scott Havn

Profile:
Should I start crossfit?

I recently came across the crossfit website and found it to be very interesting. I am thinking about following the program but have a few questions for the veterans. First of all, I am 6' 225 41 y.o. I have just rehabbed a knee injury (interesting enough the athletic trainer I used made me do jump squats, box hops, walking lunges - very similar to some of the cross fit workouts and it had great results)

Anyway - I am not in great shape but have been pretty active all my life. I did train for triathlons with a lot of LSD training which helped my cardio but sure did not help with the muscle or me becoming faster (The weight loss was also slow do to the carbs to keep the energy up) I have not run 4 months due to my injury but have been given the green light to start.

My question is whether I should begin the crossfit regimen now or try to improve my cardio, flexibility and strength beforehand - and also try to lose 15 lbs or so. I know that there are modified WOD's and have looked at a few of them

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also - I am from the old school of doing a steady pace on the treadmill for 45 minutes to try and lose weight..I know the new thinking is to ramp up the intensity in shorter bursts - any ideas on where to find workouts for the cardio. Thanks again and I am very impressed by the website and the community from what I have seen so far.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:25 AM   #2
Noah Martin

Profile:
Re: Should I start crossfit?

Short answer yes.
Scale the workouts.
I'm only 2 months in. Love it, have never felt better in my life.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:26 AM   #3
Emily Maisannes

Profile:

While I'm not really a veteran (yet), I'll take a shot at answering your question. The most effective way to drop the excess weight will be to get the nutrition under control. The most effective way to get your strength and cardiovascular capacity up is to do scaled versions of the WODs. BrandX posts those daily. The flexibility will come by ensuring that you have full ROM on your exercises. Work on getting those squats deeper, and make sure you keep your shoulders flexible using PVC pipe stretches. I stretch after my warmup and after my workout. There is some unfounded concern that you have to have some basic level of fitness to start CF, but this is untrue. As long as your doc has cleared you for a fitness program, you're good to go, no matter how heavy or out of shape you are. You're wasting your time doing workouts with less intensity.

I'll warn you that you will be sore. Combat this with hot showers, heating pads, Alleve, stretching, and just generally by keeping moving during the day. Make sure that your soreness doesn't get so bad that you start missing workouts. Read up on rhabdo. Dive into the FAQ. Make sure you do this safely. If you have an affiliate nearby, consider investing in training there, even if only once in awhile so you get the needed form coaching.

Congrats on deciding to give CF a shot. You'll see improvements quickly, so don't be discouraged when that first handful of WODs kicks your butt.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:35 AM   #4
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Emily nailed it, now read the FAQ's and Starting Here, start revamping your nutrition today, do the WOD today. That is all the information you'll ever need.
Old 11-01-2008, 01:19 PM   #5
Amy Larson

Profile:

Go for it. Scale the WODs and stick with them. I've tried a lot of different workout plans and Crossfit is the real deal when it comes to fitness.

Don't mess with the program in the attempt to get fit faster. I tried adding some strength workouts this week and became way too over-fatigued. It only took three days of stupidity to see my mistake. Stick with a scaled version of the WODs and you will see results. If you have a question, post it and someone on these boards will help you out.

Eat well and get plenty of rest.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:35 PM   #6
Joey Lajoie

Profile:

I think you have your aswer Scott. Once you start you will probaly never look back. The results WILL speak for themselves. If you still aren't convinced take a look at the testimonials section
Old 11-01-2008, 02:59 PM   #7
Ted Apollo

Profile:

the other thing i would recommend is checking out the 'POSE' run technique. it might help reduce the stress on your legs when running. it made a huge difference for me.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:03 PM   #8
Brett Dartt

Profile:

look here http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=38806WFS
you'll be fine. just do it and you'll be a happy camper
Old 11-02-2008, 11:10 PM   #9
John Biddle

Profile:

Scott - I started at probably a similar point to you 3 or 4 years ago - maybe 3 or 4 years older, 20lb lighter and a bit longer after having knee cartilages removed, but along the same lines. If you've been reasonably active and you're training for general health, I'd start with CF. As others have said, don't be afraid to scale (that is, reduce the weights, reduce the number of reps, substitute a less difficult exercise). You'll get a feeling as to how to do that (eg whether to reduce weight while maintaining number of reps, or reduce reps or whatever) while staying close to the original intent of the WODs. Also if you feel you need to, take additional rest days (at age 48 I find 2 on 1 off about right for me, but depending on your goals it's not something to treat too slavishly). As someone else has said, something to try not to compromise on is range of movement in exercises - doing squats as deep as you can will quite possibly actually be good for your knee (as well as much better for you in all other respects). And while using a full range of movement will cut your push-up, pull-up and other numbers down as compared to doing half-arsed ones, again much better in the long run.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:12 AM   #10
Ben Chapman

Profile:

It's all been said, but yeah. When we say scale, you need to scale. Don't get cocky and just start out using weights that allow you to complete the workout without hurting yourself. On a similar note, with workouts that don't invovle much weight (I.E. Michael, today's workout) do the movements slowly and focus one form, don't be concerned too much with your times at first and focus on learning movements and finishing. 3 rounds of 50 back extensions if going to be a bad wakeup call the first time you do it, don't get discouraged, just take the time you need to do them.

But in short, you don't need to work on your "cardio" or strength training before doing crossfit. You will find much more benefit in simply starting the program with scaled loads and at an intensity that allows you to learn. Then you will be surprised at how fast you will improve. Give it one month and see if you are convinced.