CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-20-2008, 05:48 PM   #1
Gabriel Refuerzo

Profile:
Proper form: light vs. heavy weights

Hi everyone, I'm fairly new to crossfit and I have a question after doing the WOD today. ( thrusters, hang power cleans, deadlift hiigh pulls)
I started w/ a scale down to 75 lbs for my first set, but it seemed too light and it felt like my form w/ lighter weights tends to be a little off. Is this common? It seems like going to the 95 rx'd weight made me use my hips and legs for more of the power cleans as opposed to what felt like relying on my arms pulling the weight up with the lighter weight. Also, what is better overall, doing a scaled down WOD for higher complete rounds or doing the rx'd weight for less rounds? I completed 1 round w/ 75lbs and 3 more w/ 95lbs + 1/2 of one last round before 20 minutes. I could have probably finished 6-7 rounds w/ 75lbs and I wasted a minute or two loading the bar up for the95 lb sets. Since I'm new to some of these lifts I'm a little more deliberate in my lifts and I'm not really racing the clock quite yet, baby steps I suppose, but I think as a newbie I need to focus on form more than output so I'm not dissappointed that I'm not getting 8-10 set done in 20mins. Well let me know what you all think.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:13 PM   #2
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:
Re: Proper form: light vs. heavy weights

Gabriel,

Welcome to CF! If you haven't before, navigate to the CrossFit Home page at http://www.crossfit.com. At the left side of the page, you'll see a menu. Click on "Start Here" and read the information posted in the "Start Here" selection of the three offered. The other very important link in that sub-menu is the "BrandX Scaled Workouts" which will take you to the site providing tried-and-trued scaled down substitutions for the prescribed (or Rx'd) workouts of the day.

There are many, many, knowledgeable people who regularly visit and post on the CF forum in all different topics. Many are health professionals, fitness trainers, nutritionists, and/or have just been doing CF for a long time. Ask questions, post your comments, and enjoy a great lifestyle! You'll get hooked for sure.

It's really important, as people will tell you, to get your form, especially on the Oly lifts, dialed in. Poor form will not assist you in moving heavy weights quickly, but it will ensure that you injure yourself at some point. I'd view the videos CF affiliates and members have posted on the main site. They show you how to do the exercises with proper form and many also show you the wrong way to do things so you can see the comparison. The main idea behind CF is to push yourself as hard as you can through your WO. This may mean short rests during sets, or perhaps stopping at first to drop some weight from the bar. You'll learn to judge your capabilities and how you best do your WOs.

Best of luck!