CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-14-2008, 01:47 PM   #1
Nancy Cohen

Profile:
Body Fat % Testing

Not sure if I'm posting this is in correct category....

I'm able to have my body fat % tested out at the university. They charge $30, and it's done in a water tank.

Anybody done this dunk method? Any thoughts on this?
Old 10-14-2008, 02:08 PM   #2
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
Re: Body Fat % Testing

I could be completely wrong about this, but I'm under the impression that submergeable and vaccum (sp) bf testing is the most accurate out there.

I've also been told that dexiscan (sp) is very accurate as well.

Possibly the least accurate are those Tanita Scales, but at least it gives you a frame of reference. Skinfold would be next up from those scales.

Personally, I think all the various methods (skinfold, tanita, dexiscan, submerge, etc.) give us a frame of reference to which we can compare to at a later time. Those that have been in this game for long enough can look at a person and guess the bodyfat percentage within plus or minus 2% anyway.

I've never done the submergeable, but I've always wanted to. I may have an opportunity, at Crossfit WV, to do the dexiscan (sp) and I'm looking forward to it.

Don't know if any of that helps?

All the best,
Arden
Old 10-14-2008, 02:17 PM   #3
Lee Austin

Profile:

I've had the Dexas scan done but not the underwater stuff. If you've gotten used to a Tanita reading, be prepared to be dismayed at how much higher the more accurate reading is.

I scheduled my testing for the morning and before I went, measured myself on my Tanita scale using both the athlete and regualr settings and wrote down the results. Then, without eating or drinking, I went to get the scan. Using the results, I have a good correlation to my actual body fat and what the scale tells me. (in my case, it's closest if I use the regular reading and subtract 1% point)
Old 10-14-2008, 02:23 PM   #4
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

For 30 bucks, I'd do it, just to know for certain.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:33 PM   #5
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

Yea, I guess I'll go ahead and do it. I'm just curious, and $30 is not a big deal.

My Tanita scale is waaayyyy off, and I don't have access to any other methods anyway. I understand, as well, that the water method is one of the most accurate (that and the Dexa).

Thanks for your opinions. Appreciate it
Old 10-14-2008, 02:50 PM   #6
Derek Franks

Profile:

Hope you don't have a fear of drowning.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:12 PM   #7
Andres Gordo

Profile:

30$! thats cheap! for that kind of testing, you can't go wrong. Thats the most accurate measure.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:19 PM   #8
Mike Prevost

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Cohen View Post
Not sure if I'm posting this is in correct category....

I'm able to have my body fat % tested out at the university. They charge $30, and it's done in a water tank.

Anybody done this dunk method? Any thoughts on this?
Underwater weighing is considered the "gold standard" if it is done well, which it usually is at Universities. If they are using some type of gas dilution method to estimate lung residual volume (air), which would register as fat if not accounted for, you should get an accurate measure. Otherwise, they have to make some type of assumption about residual volume, which is not as good.

DEXA is also very good, as is the Bod Pod. Which is more accurate? I am not sure if that can be determined. The only way to actually measure a person's body fat for sure is to put them in a blender and do a fat extraction, but hardly anybody volunteers for that

Mike
Old 10-14-2008, 04:25 PM   #9
Jeff Yan

Profile:

I may be wrong about this, but I thought I read that the dunk method is most accurate for those who have moderately high body fat percentages. So maybe it wouldn't be so accurate for those on the lower end?

A few years ago, I used one Tanita scale that said I as around 20% body fat. A few weeks ago I used another that said I was around 9%. I'm not noticeably 10% less fatty.

Calipers are cheap and probably not much less accurate than any other method.

Unless you need a particular amount of precision (like you're doing this for a bet or something) you can do what I do. Just eyeball it. Or better yet, just forget about it altogether.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:46 PM   #10
Jay Cohen

Profile:

I've done it and it's not as easy as it's sounds, if you want an accurate reading. Was done at Youngstown State University by a professor and his students.

You wade out and sit in this chair/seat which is suspended from a top rig, when you sit on the chair, it sinks, once you get near bottom, but can't touch, you are told to exhale ALL your air in lungs, any air left in your lungs will cause your BF number to be off a tad, AND you're suppose to hold exhaled position for 30 seconds, which doesn't sound like a lot, until it's you sitting underwater, yada yada yada

That's a good price and worth your time and efforts.

Just think of it as a weird CF WOD.